The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 25, 2010, 03:09 AM   #1
Caboclo

Lee Data Incomplete

The data sheet that came with my Lee dies shows 11 grains max of AA7 for 45 acp jacketed 230 gr bullet with a COL of 1.25. The catch is it doesn't specify if the bullet is JHP or RN. Pretty sure you don't want to use the same COL for both types, especially at max load. I'm trying to load JHPs, so I guess I'm on the safe side; if I were to try a RN bullet with that load, should I stretch out the COL to the max 1.275?
Old April 25, 2010, 03:16 AM   #2
ScottRiqui

Never mind - misunderstood the question.
Old April 25, 2010, 05:18 AM   #3
darkgael

magazine

Quote:
if I were to try a RN bullet with that load, should I stretch out the COL to the max 1.275?
I use the magazine as a guide and load the max COL that I can and still have the cartridge fit it the magazine.
Pete
Old April 25, 2010, 07:34 AM   #4
Jim Watson

Lee has only generic data based on powder company literature. If you want a "recipe" for your brand of bullet, you must go to the bullet manufacturer. What works for Sierra might not do for Speer.

Otherwise you can do a little testing, bearing in mind that your cartridges must go in the magazine, must go in the chamber, and must feed reliably from magazine to chamber. Very few bullets will let you load .45 ACP to the industry MAXIMUM of 1.275". Not all bullets can be loaded to the Internet Expert All Purpose OAL of 1.250", either. You either have to have manufacturer's data, actual same component user advise, or be prepared to do some testing on your own.

By the way, do I understand you mean to start out with the MAXIMUM powder charge? Not a good idea.
Old April 25, 2010, 08:07 AM   #5
jaguarxk120

Go to the powder mfgr. or the bullet mfgr. for your loading data. All the tooling makers provide is a general guide, and many do not provide any loading data with their tooling. You will get tested load data from the bullet/powder makers thats proven in their labs.
Old April 25, 2010, 08:12 AM   #6
IllinoisCoyoteHunter

Lee's data is not incomplete..it is actually very simple. As long as you start at the starting load and work up (given any COL as long as you stay above the minimum listed) you should have no problems. Just be sure to look for signs of overpressure as you work your load up.

~NRA LIFE MEMBER~
~NRA CERTIFIED INSTRUCTOR~