The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting > Bullet Casting

Old April 10, 2013, 10:42 AM   #51
max it

lead in blood dropped 25% now

hi Ya, Finally i am down to 15mcg/dl lead in blood.
what did it? dunno but here are the changes since it reached 20:
no smelting
no casting
wash when shooting
no lead shooting indoor ranges
mask when working media and tumbler
no drinking or eating when loading/shooting. ok water when doing outdoor matches.
cheers,
max
Old June 7, 2013, 04:22 AM   #52
orisolo

Lead hazards from casting bullets, shot and other objects or reloading

Print and hang on your wall...

http://www.oem.msu.edu/userfiles/fil...-c07-10-09.pdf
(Unknown author - A fact of life)
Old June 7, 2013, 09:10 AM   #53
Unclenick
Staff

Good link. Thanks for finding and posting that.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old June 18, 2013, 02:06 PM   #54
Silver00LT

Great thread, and also kinda deterring me from picking up casting and shooting hard cast lead bullets.

I moved my tumbler and do it in the reloading room while NOT in there(prior to reading this thread). I do sort through brass and media without a lid though as its a cheap DIY sorter. Guess I will look into a actual separator.

I've noticed I get lead on my fingers and I take a alcohol prep pad and wipe down my hands as there is no sink available at the range this is from loading magazines at the range.
Old June 19, 2013, 09:09 AM   #55
max it

no more casting?

HI Ya, Weeeel I haven't really dropped casting although I did swap some 750# of good lead for hard cast moly coated bullets. I just have not done it since.
I am much more aware now: change media in tumbler often. Mine comes from the bird store in 10# sacks for a pittance.
Wash hands at all range sessions; I have some hand cleaner from Walmart in trunk if none at range.
No eating and drinking while reloading in garage.

Other precautions carefully evaluated: mask, gloves, fan, tyvek suit, plated bullets for indoor shoots.

Next blood test in Sept.

Much obliged,

Max
Old November 18, 2020, 12:23 PM   #56
max it

hi All, old thread but still valid.
now blood lead level 11 or 12 micrograms per decaliter. (11mg/dL.)
the lead stryphonite (sp?) in primers, hence on brass I tumble, and in air when reloading, in air at indoor range.
Now i believe it is affecting my red blood cell count; i am anemic. other possible causes are being eliminated; no cancer.
stay tuned,
Max
Old November 18, 2020, 02:06 PM   #57
Aguila Blanca
Staff

I haven't heard that an elevated blood lead level affects red cell counts. Please keep us informed.

As you probably know, the reference blood lead level for children was reduced from 10 µg/dL to 5 µg/dL as of 2015. However, the action level is considerably higher than that, and OSHA doesn't require removing workers from exposure to lead until their level reaches 50 µg/dL (for construction) or 60 µg/dL (for general industry). The action level for treatment is currently 80 µg/dL, according to what I could find on the Internet (much of which is confusing, because it's difficult with many of the articles to determine if they're talking about adults or children).

11 or 12 is just marginally about the reference level for adults. Several years ago my BLL was considerably higher than that, and I had no symptoms. I wouldn't have known anything except that it showed up in a blood test at the VA hospital. I took the following actions, and within six months brought it back down to within the normal range:
  • I stopped competing in "combat" shoots at an indoor range
  • I moved my tumbler from the basement to the garage, and then shifted to tumbling outdoors
  • I started wearing a dust mask when sorting tumbled brass
  • I started wearing nitrile gloves when handling brass
  • Even though I load mostly plated bullets (no exposed lead), I now wear nitrile gloves when reloading
  • The indoor range where I shoot switched from using brooms to using wide rubber squeegees for policing up fired brass

Compared to your earlier reports, your BLL has actually gone down, so that's good news.
Jeepaholic
Old November 18, 2020, 02:08 PM   #58
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneounceload
Lead doesn't leave your blood system. Unless you lay off to see if your levels don't increase, the amount will not decrease.
My experience does not support this statement.
Jeepaholic
Old November 18, 2020, 02:17 PM   #59
T. O'Heir

OP is 11 years old.
If you're casting in a closed, poorly ventilated space AND exposed to high lead levels elsewhere, you're asking for trouble. Otherwise you practically have to be eating the stuff. Knew a guy who cast in his closed, unventilated, garage and worked for Ontario Hydro(our electricity makers) who had to quit shooting for 6 months due to his lead content.
Asked my doctor at the time if she could test me. She said she didn't know how. Suggests that lead poisoning is very rare.
Old November 18, 2020, 02:30 PM   #60
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. O'Heir
Asked my doctor at the time if she could test me. She said she didn't know how. Suggests that lead poisoning is very rare.
Your doctor didn't know how? It's a box to check off for the laboratory when the doctor orders a blood test. If your doctor doesn't know which box to check for blood lead level, I respectfully suggest that you need a different doctor.
Jeepaholic
Old November 18, 2020, 02:36 PM   #61
reddog81

The thread is old but the OP is the one who revived it, and with a topic like this it makes the most sense to update an old thread rather than start a new one.

Max, Have you continued casting? Best of luck getting your blood levels sorted out!

I don't tumble brass but it's something I'd do outside if I found it necessary.
Old November 18, 2020, 05:14 PM   #62
Unclenick
Staff

It's also a good revival because it's very directly connected and not being hijacked and the continuity makes the original information more useful to anyone reading it.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old November 19, 2020, 01:03 PM   #63
LAH

Have my levels checked & never been elevated. I keep my hands away from my mouth & clean up with a wet cloth instead of a broom. Do all my shooting outdoors so sure that helps.

Tags
casting , health topic , reloading question