The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old February 25, 2006, 08:05 PM   #1
VUPDblue

US&S marked 1911A1

I have a beautiful example of an original Union Signal & Switch 1911A1 that was carried by my Grandfather (a Marine MP) on the island of Tinnean in 1943-45. The serial # is 1063xxx. I believe that it was issued to him upon his deployment to the Pacific in 1943. Of all the wartime 1911's I have seen, this one is in the top 2% as far as condition. The proof marks match and the "R.C.D" stamp is clearly visible on the left side below the slide lock. I would like to know something about the value of this gun. I believe there were around 55,000 made by US&S. I have no intention of this gun ever leaving my family. I treat it as my #1 safe queen. Just asking out of curiosity. Hopefully there is a 1911 afficionado out there who just might know...

Thanks,
Nick
Old February 26, 2006, 08:38 PM   #2
Tom2

pictures, please!

You might get a better response if you posted pictures. You could take around to dealers or at a gunshow for a casual appraisal, but beware that if some folks think you might sell, they will really low ball you on the value. All I can say is probably 600-1000++ for starters. And it has the known provenance of being in the war and by whom and where etc. so that adds value, I believe. Give it a thin coat of oil(or any rust resistant film specifically for guns, not WD 40) and TLC. Would not store it in a holster either. But I would not expect it to deteriorate any if it is kept in a warm dry place with no dust. Still would recommend some kind of protection on the outside even though parkerising is not all that susceptable to fingerprint rusting etc. compared to blueing.
Old February 26, 2006, 08:46 PM   #3
Tom2

serial

BTW that serial number is for US&S and falls in the 1943 production year according to my chart. I believe that a final assessement of the condition will determine the final value estimate. Might be worth alot more than 1000$. Better get pictures, just for any insurance on it!
Old February 26, 2006, 09:31 PM   #4
VUPDblue

Here are the pics. Pretty self explanitory. I didn't get one of the upper proof mark, but it matches the lower one. You may be able to see it anyhow in the left side pic.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg us&sLeft.JPG (27.8 KB, 866 views)
File Type: jpg us&sRight.JPG (24.5 KB, 865 views)
File Type: jpg us&sProofs.jpg (14.4 KB, 162 views)
Old February 26, 2006, 09:37 PM   #5
VUPDblue

one more pic of the rifling...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg us&sRifling.JPG (7.5 KB, 167 views)