The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 1, 2014, 05:21 PM   #1
pathdoc

Frankford Arsenal case tumbler kit - anyone used it?

This kit comes with a vibratory tumbler (advertised capacity 350 x .223 Rem), a rotary media separator with plastic bucket (convenient!), a bag of corncob media and a small bottle of brass polish, and is advertised in Cabelas (Canada) three most recent catalogues, including the one I just got today, for $99.99 pre-tax, pre-shipping, pre yada yada yada...

What a magnificent price for all that, I declared to myself, then wondered whether this is perhaps a concern in itself. It is significantly less expensive than other tumblers I've seen advertised (and one I've owned) in the past. But is it also significantly less reliable? Am I getting a great deal? Or am I just setting myself up to have to buy something more rugged in the future?

(Note to those suggesting alternatives: I have considered a wet tumbler. However, after due consideration of all factors, I have decided to stick with the dry system I'm familiar with.)
Old October 1, 2014, 06:34 PM   #2
Shootest

Are you talking about this?
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/212...rator-110-volt
Midway USA owns Frankford Arsenal so you will get the best deals from them “Usually”
It works OK but read the reviews to better inform yourself before making a purchase.

Last edited by Shootest; October 1, 2014 at 06:47 PM.
Old October 1, 2014, 07:08 PM   #3
Alphadawg

I bought just the tumbler back in January. It worked well until about a month ago, I went to unplug it and the long, round prong snapped off. I e-mailed them around 10pm and by 9am the next morning I had an email saying that they were sorry and that they were sending me a replacement. I received th replacement in well under a week. In my experience i can say that They do stand behind their products!
Old October 1, 2014, 07:20 PM   #4
pathdoc

Shootest. Yes, but last I checked, midway do not ship to Canada!
Old October 1, 2014, 08:40 PM   #5
ballardw

I have been using one of these setups for a couple years but not really heavily. While a good idea the rotary basket for dumping the media in a 5-gallon bucket tends to need some care as it doesn't really lock into position and wiggles in use.

I may be overly concerned but the threaded rod in the tumbler made be a bit concerned about scratching brass. Luckily straws from McDonald's will fit over it. Also get a soft rubber mat to place under the mat to help control noise.

I have run the tumbler for upwards of 8 hours continuously with no problems.
Old October 2, 2014, 02:11 AM   #6
Kilibreaux

I bought that same setup about 15 years ago.
It's still going strong!
I would HIGHLY recommend it at this point (obviously)
Old October 2, 2014, 02:14 AM   #7
ljnowell

I bought a Frankford Arsenal kit like you described in 2009, only with a different style rotary separator. It's been going strong ever since. In fact right now it's running 300 38 special cases.
Old October 2, 2014, 03:42 AM   #8
Jim243

Personal choice. I have been running a Lyman 1200 for over 8 years now with no problems and it's still running. So I would suggest purchasing a Lyman tumbler.

Jim
Old October 2, 2014, 11:36 AM   #9
trixter

I have been using a Lyman 1200 Turbo for about 8 years. Never a hint of trouble, I reload 45ACP, 223 (for a bolt gun), 300 Savage (also a bolt Rem 722) and 30-06, about 400 45's and 100 223's monthly. I just turn the tumbler upside-down while running and the media runs out into a great big bowl that I got at the $-Tree, then open it up and pour it into a big (looks like a gold pan with round slots in the bottom. That process gets 99.65% of the media out of the cases. I have thought about getting the rotating cage apparatus, but just can't part with the $. Just me and my way YMMV.
Old October 6, 2014, 11:14 PM   #10
849ACSO

I have that kit. Works fine. I don't always tumble, but when I do, I have no complaints at all. Mine has (a guess) a hundred or so hours on it.
Old October 6, 2014, 11:22 PM   #11
Marco Califo

Just get the tumbler, not the kit

Just get the tumbler, not the kit

Here is a better separator for $5.50 plus shipping:
http://www.hydroempire.com/mesh-pot-bucket-lid-10/
and you put a standard 5 gallon bucket under it.
Old October 7, 2014, 08:43 AM   #12
MikeRussell

I've got the kit and a second tumbler. Honestly, besides the tumbler, the bucket is the best part of the kit.

The "media separator" is a soup sandwich. You can't turn it too fast or media goes everywhere (even with the shields in place), if you turn it too slow then you get bored waiting for it to be done...and it slides around on the bucket top when you use it.

Honestly, I just use an old colander that I've increased the hole size on (I run a walnut blasting media instead of the commercial tumbler media, so it flows out of cases easier) and swirl the cases around by hand real quick. A few swirls, a shake or two, and it's done.
Old October 7, 2014, 12:29 PM   #13
DaleA

Quote:
Honestly, I just use an old colander that I've increased the hole size on
Yep. I do something very similar and it seems to works fine.
Old October 7, 2014, 12:54 PM   #14
Tom68

I've been using that same kit since 2010 with no problems whatsoever. I do all of my tumbling and separating outside (been reading the folks talking about lead) and thus do not worry too much about the separator allowing media to escape the bucket. I don't turn it too fast, though.

all in all, it works just fine for me.
Old October 7, 2014, 01:36 PM   #15
TopMCITWS

Have been using this kit since Sep 2013. Have made a little over 15K rounds of 45 acp since then. Vibrator will typically run for 4 to 5 hours at a stretch. Have not had any problems with this kit. The only adjustments made to this packaged set up has been to use Lizard bedding (crushed walnut shells) which is readily available from PetCo and other like places for a much cheaper price than the replacement media which is typically sold. Additionally, tossed the brass polish mixture and substituted it with a bottle of Nu-Finish car wax (orange bottle), simply pour some of this in the media and let it run for about 20 minutes or so and then toss in the brass. Great results.
Old October 8, 2014, 08:29 AM   #16
Rimfire5

I bought one over 4 years ago and have used it frequently enough to load over 25,000 rounds (7 rifle calibers and 5 pistol calibers). That averages out to be over 116 rounds a week.

I replaced the media at least 5 times and it is still performing beautifully.
I like my brass to be shiny so it looks 'factory new' so I usually leave my brass in the tumbler for at least 3 hours. Really grungy brass gets as much as 5 hours of tumbling so the tumbler has had lots of heavy use.
Old October 8, 2014, 10:43 AM   #17
Don P

I had one and it quit after 30,000 rounds. Purchased a Lyman Pro Magnum from Brownells. With their lifetime guaranty best deal in town. handles 1,000 38spl cases
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old October 8, 2014, 03:18 PM   #18
Sevens

Just about any vibratory tumbler is going to have a certain life span -- the unit vibrates for a living so it simply isn't going to last forever. Also difficult to predict how long one will last, even using anecdotal evidence from others with the same unit. The one you get will last... ...however long it lasts. And you may even be able to repair it when it stops working, typically the first failures are going to be wires that vibrated themselves to destruction.

I bought the same tumbler and kit. MikeRussell's post #12 summed up the media separator very well, it's a crap unit.

The tumbler works great but it is loud and not well built, I repaired mine a number of times after it gave good service for about 3 years. Eventually, I grew tired of re-wiring it and I replaced it with a Berry's tumbler and a Berry's media separator.

The separator works extremely well and corrals all the media for the most part. The tumbler works as well or better and it's just far more quiet in operation. 3 year warranty on the motor.

A better idea? If you can go to or order from Cabela's, their house brand dark green tumbler is a rebranded Berry's unit and Cabela's backs it with a lifetime warranty. So when it dies (of course it will die...) you'll get another for free. That's what I should have done -- that's my next tumbler.

In the meantime, my Berry's will take more of a beating for a while!
Old October 8, 2014, 03:41 PM   #19
T. O'Heir

"...vibratory tumbler is going to have a certain life span..." My Lyman(I think it's a 1200 Turbo too) is close to 40 years old. Works fine. You do not need to add any kind of polish.
My media separator is a plastic colander with the bottom holes drilled a bit bigger and a shoe box. Cost me a buck in a dollar store.
"...Midway doES not ship to Canada!..." Nope. Midway is over priced anyway. Your local gun shop will have anything you need.
Old October 8, 2014, 05:18 PM   #20
pathdoc

My LGS does not always have everything I need, sadly. Also it would seem that Cabelas.com and Cabelas.ca are not always the same thing with the same goods.
Old October 10, 2014, 11:47 PM   #21
LarryFlew

I buy, process and sell literally 2 tons of brass a year all tumbled (some done twice) in 2 of the frankforts and both going strong after 5 years.