The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old September 18, 2013, 04:36 AM   #76
kcub

As time goes on autos will be more and more popular. One of the reasons is that revolvers keep getting crappier and crappier whereas we are indeed in a golden age of semi autos and they will keep getting better and better.

I won't buy ugly Ruger revolvers with their billboard lawyer babble and transfer bars, ugly Smith and Wesson revolvers with useless holes in their sides, and both Colt and Dan Wesson are kaput for revolvers.

Correction about Colt: they are kaput for double actions but their single actions are still great.
Old September 19, 2013, 06:04 PM   #77
Pianoguy

Based on what's in the stores, what people bring to the range, what are advertised in magazines, the fact that the majority of manufacturers do good business making no revolvers at all, the answer seems pretty obvious - semi-autos are much more popular. If it wasn't for some diehards and snub-noses being to good for CC, revolvers might become a thing of the past. I hope not, because I still like them.
Old September 19, 2013, 09:20 PM   #78
Super Sneaky Steve

Most noobs go out and buy a Glock 23 as their first gun so I'd expect there to be many more bottom feeders out there than wheel guns, but not in my gun cabinet.
Old September 21, 2013, 07:38 AM   #79
bedbugbilly

Just look at the numbers of viewers who are looking at the revolver and the semi auto section here. That tells you something.

Or . . . go in to any gun store that sells revolvers and semi-autos . . . . . that will also get you to draw the same conclusion . . . .

Myself . . . I'm 60 and much prefer revolvers over semis - but I have always shot revolvers. I was brought up with Roy Rogers, Gene Autry, etc. and that probably had a great influence in regards to my likes and dislikes.

Today's kids are brought up with a whole different kind of "hero" who usually is blasting away with a semi-auto . . .

Not always true but I think that most younger people prefer the semis . . . most older ones prefer revolvers . . . with some "in the middle of the road"
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old September 21, 2013, 09:17 AM   #80
Jim243

The lure of higher round magazines have made pistols more popular than revolvers over the years. Reliability improvements and better pistol ammo also contributes to pistols being more popular. Just don't count revolvers out just yet they do have their place in the firearms industry.

Jim
Old September 21, 2013, 11:28 AM   #81
orionengnr

Quote:
Semi autos have about a 2 to 1 thread count advantage, and I think the views are even more unbalanced.
Old September 28, 2013, 10:01 PM   #82
Bozz10mm

Well, in the CHL class I took, there were 10 students. 9 had Semi autos and one had a revolver. I don't know if it's a 9 to 1 ratio across the board, but that's what it was in that classroom. Oh, and the instructors both carried semi autos also.

For me personally, it is a 5 to 2 ratio.
Old September 30, 2013, 02:17 AM   #83
the357plan

Quote:
Well, in the CHL class I took, there were 10 students. 9 had Semi autos and one had a revolver. I don't know if it's a 9 to 1 ratio across the board, but that's what it was in that classroom. Oh, and the instructors both carried semi autos also.
I carry a revolver almost exclusively, but qualified with a semi-auto in my CHL class. I don't think the ratio in the quote is representative because in Texas, if you qualify with a revolver, you're stuck with carrying only a revolver. If you qualify with a semi-auto, you can carry either a semi-auto or a revolver. All of the instructors that I've ever met will tell you to qualify with semi-auto even if you don't have one. A lot of them will also loan or rent one to you.

Which is more popular (not totals made)? Go to range, gun shows and sporting goods stores and look... Semi-Autos
Old September 30, 2013, 10:41 PM   #84
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
I don't think the ratio in the quote is representative because in Texas, if you qualify with a revolver, you're stuck with carrying only a revolver. If you qualify with a semi-auto, you can carry either a semi-auto or a revolver.
I agree, it's likely that at least some of those participants are revolver shooters but took a semi-auto to the class due to the restriction.

The good news is that in the last legislative session, the handgun category on the CHL was eliminated. Now you can qualify with any handgun 32 caliber and above regardless of whether it's a revolver or semi-auto and it will have no effect at all on what you can carry.

Just a caution--if your permit has the category on it, you should continue to abide by the restriction until your next renewal.
Old October 1, 2013, 09:18 PM   #85
TennJed

Semiauto vs. Revolver - which is more popular in the US?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnKSa View Post
I agree, it's likely that at least some of those participants are revolver shooters but took a semi-auto to the class due to the restriction.

The good news is that in the last legislative session, the handgun category on the CHL was eliminated. Now you can qualify with any handgun 32 caliber and above regardless of whether it's a revolver or semi-auto and it will have no effect at all on what you can carry.

Just a caution--if your permit has the category on it, you should continue to abide by the restriction until your next renewal.
Wow Texas has that. I thought it was one of the better states. Kinda shocked they have a say in what you can carry
Old October 4, 2013, 12:09 AM   #86
skeeter

All I know is if my life depended on it I would carry a revolver with a auto as a back up. If i could not carry a M1A.
Old October 4, 2013, 12:24 AM   #87
Pilot

Look at the number of threads, and posts in the Semi-auto forum vs. the revolver forum. It is more than two to one in favor of semi-autos.

I like revolvers, but I use semi-autos for most of my shooting purposes. I like the ergonomics better, I like the grips better, if I want higher capacity, I can get it with a semi-auto, although I often carry an 8 + 1 single stack.
Old October 8, 2013, 10:36 PM   #88
Glock20/460long

Quote:
Look at the number of threads, and posts in the Semi-auto forum vs. the revolver forum. It is more than two to one in favor of semi-autos.
That sums it up.

I carry a revolver S&W 638 Airweight .38
Old October 8, 2013, 11:07 PM   #89
Nick_C_S

In my gun cabinet: 5 Semi-auto's; 6 revolvers.

My CCW: Semi-auto (9mm)

My nightstand gun: Revolver (usually)

My IDPA shooter: Revolver (yes, revolver - it's more fun)

My absolute favorite gun to shoot - Semi-auto (Colt 1911)

After it's all said n done, I consider myself a wheelgun guy.