The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Closed Thread

Old February 6, 2013, 02:23 PM   #1
Drhc116

Is it just me?

I tell ya. All of this craziness has really turned me off from guns/shooting. I used to really enjoy buying/shooting or even just researching different ones but here lately I have found that I just really do not care anymore. Dont get me wrong, I am still glad that I have them. Is it just me or is the current climate taking the enjoyment out of firearms for others as well?
Old February 6, 2013, 02:31 PM   #2
Scorch

It is about as much fun as having your teeth drilled, isn't it?

OTOH, it is still more fun than work.
Old February 6, 2013, 02:55 PM   #3
Skans

The shortage of ammo has curtailed my shooting. I don't want to use up my reserves, and I don't want to pay inflated prices for ammo right now. So, I'm focusing my gun-attention on building an AR (yes, some inflated prices there too; but I can afford to take my time).
Old February 6, 2013, 03:09 PM   #4
eldermike

When I was a young boy my net worth was measured in 22 shorts, longs and long rifle cartridges. The other day I was counting my 22 supply and just broke out laughing.
Old February 6, 2013, 03:33 PM   #5
Babyfacenelson

Eldermike, why were you laughing?
Could you actually count them all this time
Old February 6, 2013, 03:34 PM   #6
imp

Its just you.

Although I have a couple gun projects in my head, I'm content to let the hysteria blow over for a little while. All this buying now will make for some good deals in the used market soon enough. - do however still enjoy my hobbies as much as I always have, and look forward to introducing newbies to firearms in the future.
Old February 6, 2013, 05:49 PM   #7
James K
Member In Memoriam

I feel a bit the same way. The constant drumming from the media and our corrupt politicians and police that gun owners are evil monsters who should be dragged out and shot like mad dogs does get one down.

I admit to taking advantage of the panic to get some very high prices for stuff I wasn't shooting anyway, but I haven't given up on guns.

Jim
Old February 6, 2013, 06:04 PM   #8
Rifleman1952

I refuse the let the crazies in the media or our politicians, get me down. I stocked up on ammo prior to the last election, because I thought there would be civil unrest if Obama lost, and attempts at another assault weapons ban if he won. Well, we all know that Obama won.

I probably won't shoot as much as in previous years, and probably shoot more with 22lr than in the past, but I will enjoy it just as much. Last Spring & Summer, I was at the range twice per week. I'll likely only go once per week this year; perhaps even every other week. I don't want to burn through a lot of ammo until we see what the supply looks like over the next 9 months.
Old February 6, 2013, 07:18 PM   #9
eldermike

Babyfacenelson, if I had 50 Lr when I was young I was rich.
Old February 6, 2013, 07:38 PM   #10
Kreyzhorse

It is just you (before this thread gets closed....).

It hasn't taken the fun out of it for me. Sure, I'd like to find some ammo to go burn up at the range, but the current climate has made me enjoy, and appreciate my guns even more.

The simple act of me owning guns is causing a lot of people heartburn right now and you know what, I enjoy that too.

I am also aware of 4 close friends and family and 4 acquaintances who just applied for their CCW license exactly because of the current situation. Had the climate not changed, they would not have decided to take a stand by getting their CCW licenses.

The more people that the anti's drive towards us the better it is for all of us.

Last edited by Kreyzhorse; February 6, 2013 at 09:36 PM.
Old February 6, 2013, 07:48 PM   #11
GreaseMonkey4Hire

Despite it all, I have tried to focus on the positive aspects of our current situation. In the past 2 months, I have been able to get 9 new people to take up this great hobby of ours. 2 of which were heavily against firearms ownership prior. I was very glad to be there to help them choose their first firearm and help them along with basic safety training and target practice. It makes me very happy to see that more and more new shooters are joining the game. I just hope they all get properly trained and become safe and responsible gun owners.
Old February 7, 2013, 09:21 PM   #12
Pathfinder45

"Not me; I'm in my prime....."

We all just have to get on with our lives. It's a tragedy what some wacked out people have done with weapons lately. It would be good if people like that could be prevented from gaining access to destructive devices of any kind. And while I don't personally own any, "Assault Rifles"; don't want one; don't even like them; I do believe that individual citizens have a right to own them. Whatever the standard U.S. service rifle is ought to be the standard by which to judge what's an appropriate weapon for an American citizen to own. Perhaps full auto versions ought to be restricted to individuals that have completed a National Guard sponsored course that any citizen in reasonably good standing could sign up for.... But it's doubtful that will happen. I expect we'll get more restrictions. If I ever actually need an AR or AK with a 30 round mag I'll just pick the first handy one up off the ground from a fallen comrade. In the mean time, I'm happier with an antique Winchester. I support your right to own one, but nothing modern really charms me.
Old February 7, 2013, 09:34 PM   #13
Dragline45

I can see where your coming from. I have a couple handguns I have wanted to pick up even before the craziness started, but I honestly don't have it in me to search high and low for a decent price for them, or even finding one at all. I went crazy the first few weeks tracking down magazines, but I refuse to put myself through that again. I am just going to let it blow over and save myself the stress.

As far as shooting, I haven't been shooting in 2 months. I have enough ammo put aside for all my guns to make me feel comfortable, but not enough to shoot.

To make things worse the renewal for insurance was up for my local outdoor range, which happened to be a couple weeks after the school shooting, and the insurance company dropped them. The range is owned by the town/county and was used by law enforcement every couple weeks for practice/qualification also. So that remains closed until they can find a new insurance provider. The range was 5 minutes from my house and only $50 a year, the next closest one is 20-30 minutes, $250 a year, plus putting in dues every month to donate my time. Thanks, but no thanks. If I am paying to use your range I am not working a few hours a month for you.
Old February 7, 2013, 09:41 PM   #14
MikeG

It's entirely probable that the incessant media agitprop and political threats to ban or restrict this and that is intended to wear us down and get us to give in.

We can't let them win. I'm starting to consider going in a new direction to keep my interest up, either black powder or Old West.
Old February 7, 2013, 09:48 PM   #15
tynman

Im feeling the same way... For my lg I have plenty of ammo. But for my 3 new pistols I dont feel I have enough but I really dont want to pay the crazy prices and wait 3 months for the ammo. (which they want you to pay for it today and get the ammo in march MAYBE). I also just renewed my range membership yesterday. But I dont wont to burn the ammo until everything is back on the shelves and prices drop.
Old February 7, 2013, 09:52 PM   #16
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

I've been in this gun game for too many years to lack guns, ammo or loading components. So, I pretty much just watch and shake my head. But, "This ain't my first rodeo." Went through it in '67/'68 and again in '93/94.

I mostly hang out at my FFL buddy's shop and watch him work his tail off to make enough money to be able to ride it out for overhead when things quiet down, but re-supply will be slow. Can't sell what you can't get.
Old February 7, 2013, 09:55 PM   #17
Tikirocker

If it's not fun anymore, you're not doing it right.

Tiki.
Old February 8, 2013, 12:18 AM   #18
Dragline45

Quote:
I'm starting to consider going in a new direction to keep my interest up, either black powder or Old West.
Have been wanting a black powder revolver myself, not a bad idea at all.
Old February 8, 2013, 01:18 AM   #19
chris in va

Guys, this is what 'they' ultimately want. No need to outright ban something, a collapse from within is much more effective.

Get what ammo you have, go shoot some targets, have fun.
Old February 8, 2013, 01:50 AM   #20
HKFan9

I am big into action shooting... and building AR's and the sort.

I just picked up two nice .22 rifles.. one a CZ that is staying iron sights, and the other a Savage MarkII TR with a Nikon 22rimfire BDC scope, and short bipod.

Figure I can enjoy shooting tight groups with these guns for a long while until the madness stops.

Really tho I work at a gun shop so my life has been hell lately at work. I get 10 guys calling every 15 minutes asking for .223 ammo and we just laugh.

Obama is better than Clinton at selling guns it seems.

Considering I have about 5+ AR's and spare lowers.... 60 some Pmags.. and cases of .223 ammo (most bought before all this) I just laugh at the people paying $2000 for a $700 Bushmaster, and $100 for a $11 Pmag.
Old February 8, 2013, 06:40 AM   #21
sc928porsche

I always have project or two going. I keep a large amount of reloaded ammo for each cartridge, along with the reloading supplies. I buy primers 5000 at a time, powder 8# at a time, and bullets 500 at a time. For pistols, primers are at 10k and most of the bullets are cast. I have 2 fifteen gallon barrels full of corn cob ingots of lead and 1 fifteen gallon of barrel of wheel weights. I worked for good year for 7 years. I also have spam cans of 7.62x39 and 7.62x54R stored.

The shortages dont seem to effect me. By the time my stock starts to dwindle a little, the shortage is over.
Old February 8, 2013, 03:42 PM   #22
SIGSHR

I confess I haven't been shooting in ages nor to my LGSs, nor have I engaged in panic buying.
Old February 8, 2013, 04:15 PM   #23
oneoldsap

Location: I live in the foot of the Green Mountains of Vermont
Don't get apathetic , and forget to defend your right to bear arms ! You do have a dog in this fight , their plan is to wear us down , don't fall for it . If you quit in the middle of a fight , you get your butt whipped , don't you ?
Old February 8, 2013, 06:24 PM   #24
BIGR

I don't pay much attention to it. I stocked up pretty good around 1994 and 2008. In between those years I bought a little extra now and then. I have suspended my regular target practice weekends for now till things settle down. As far as reloading supplies I am good to go, only thing extra I would like to have is some primers.
Old February 8, 2013, 06:30 PM   #25
sam colt

What worries me is I'm 66. Hell, I could be dead by the time this craziness ends. And no you can't have any of my guns. Gonna be buried with em.
Closed Thread