The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old December 19, 2011, 10:02 AM   #1
Magnum Wheel Man

Why not... one of the replica pump guns in 45 Colt ???

looks like my wife is planning on CAS shooting this next year, so she'll be using my 38 / 357... leaves me looking for a new rifle ( & maybe something a bit more unique ) in 45 Colt...

I've seen these Rossi pumps out there, but never seen one at the cowboy range...

heard "feed issues" as the reason ??? I have a local smith that can help me if I have any issues, & I'm a very critical hand loader... I'd think I could find a load & COL that would work in the rifle...

I see they are most often available in like 26" barrel lengths, but my buddy could easily trim it down to 20" & hold only 10 in the tube...

could you guys give me the reasons these aren't the guns to use ??? I'd think the pumps could be made to run out as fast as a short stroked lever gun ???

Last edited by Magnum Wheel Man; December 19, 2011 at 11:07 AM.
Old December 19, 2011, 11:26 AM   #2
Andy Griffith

My best friend has a beautiful one from US firearms in .44-40, and has some of the nicest walnut and is extremely accurate- even has a nickel receiver. I don't think US firearms makes them any more.

We shared it at a match last year- the one thing to know about these guns is that they are not forgiving if you don't fully work the action. If the action is short stroked, the gun will jam, as I found out. With practice, fully engaging the action is not a problem- but be ready with a screwdriver to take the little guides out of the action to get the cartridge unjammed until you've perfected actioning it at speed.

IIRC, the gun was a bit finicky about ammunition- not so much the OAL, but if there was the slightest protrusion of the brass around the bullet, it would hang up. A stout roll crimp easily solved that problem.

One alternative to the Lightning it might be the Burgess lever gun- it is essentially the same action, but in lever format.
Old December 19, 2011, 12:21 PM   #3
Fingers McGee

Magnum Wheel Man,

Go to the SASS wire & type lightning into the search engine. You will get information overload about the various Colt Lightning rifles. Rossi models are pretty much regarded as expensive tomato stakes, AWA and Uberti models can be good or bad, and Pedersolis are usually very good. I have one of the early AWAs in 44-40 that had some feeding problems in the beginning due to hammer spring interference and incorrect AOL. Once that got sorted out, it has been a very reliable rifle; although my main match rifle is still a Uberti '66.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old December 19, 2011, 02:18 PM   #4
Noz

Don't forget the Taurus tomato stakes.
Old December 19, 2011, 04:02 PM   #5
Poodleshooter

Lack of good pump guns has mostly kept my interest in cowboy action rather muted. I love single actions, and I love double barreled shotguns, but I loathe lever actions.
Old December 19, 2011, 05:36 PM   #6
Shotgun693

I've know a few shooters who used a pump rifle but they all had problems enough with'm that they went to a lever action.
Old December 19, 2011, 07:57 PM   #7
Fingers McGee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noz
Don't forget the Taurus tomato stakes.
Oh, yeah, them too.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old December 19, 2011, 08:10 PM   #8
Hawg

Y'all must grow some spensive maters using those spensive stakes.
Old January 11, 2013, 11:52 PM   #9
RogerRapid

Uberti Lightnings

These posts on the Uberti Lightning go back a bit. Has anyone had better success with any of the more recent Uberti Lightenings? (They were supposed to make some modifications to improve loading)? Also, does anyone know if the folks who had problems was be cause they were feeding .38s in a .357 U Lightning? Or ... if the .45 LC fed better than the .357s? Thx... RR
Old January 14, 2013, 07:41 PM   #10
barnowl12

PUMP RIFLES

From my experience, NONE of them are reliable!! I have had an original Colt in 44-40, two taurus; in .45 Colt, two AWAs' (one early, one late) and a "Gold Rush". Not a one of them as totally reliable. Sold them all and won't have another one, even if it was free!! There's a reason Colt made them only for a short while. They're ALL JUNK!!! MHO If you wanna' shoot CAS, get a lever '66, '73, or a JM Marlin. Stay away from the Winnie '92 & '94 copies as well. I speak from personal experience.
BO
Old January 16, 2013, 10:22 AM   #11
Strafer Gott

But if your not playing cowboy, them mater stakes make a fine woods rifle.
I'd carry and shoot mine even if I had to single load it. The .45 Colt really is all that. Pleasant to shoot with low recoil and no muzzle blast, the little rifle still smacks with authority. I almost hate putting it back in the garden. It's almost as much fun as a front stuffer, but about six times faster.
Old January 18, 2013, 12:12 PM   #12
BCarp

"Stay away from the Winnie '92 & '94 copies as well. I speak from personal experience."

Barnowl, what's the problem with the Model 92 repros? I think I've read that the Brazilian-made "Rossi's" are crapulous, but the Italian-made ones (Chiappa) are pretty nice.

I was thinking of a 92, because the strong action allows the use of the jazzed-up .45 LC cartridges from Buffalo Bore for hunting purposes....