The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old April 22, 2011, 10:53 PM   #1
Wrothgar

Open carry in CO state parks

I've done some searching. I know CO does open carry. However, what about state parks? Some places said yes. However, this sheriff says no:
Quote:
Do Colorado State Parks or Open Space allow a person to carry a handgun?
Only if you are a valid permit holder and carry concealed. You must not carry in an open fashion.
Thoughts?
Old April 22, 2011, 11:37 PM   #2
Eagle Eye

This seems too simple for me. You have quoted the rule: Carry concealed only. Duh?
Old April 25, 2011, 04:53 PM   #3
cspasch

Open Carry in Colorado State Parks

Even though Colorado allows open carry, it can be overridden by local jurisdictions. Colorado Statue 29-11.7-104 (“A local government may enact an ordinance, regulation, or other law that prohibits the open carrying of a firearm in a building or specific area within the local government's jurisdiction. If a local government enacts an ordinance, regulation, or other law that prohibits the open carrying of a firearm in a building or specific area, the local government shall post signs at the public entrances to the building or specific area informing persons that the open carrying of firearms is prohibited in the building or specific area.“) allows local governments to ban open carry as long as they follow the posting particulars of the statue. I have a concealed weapons permit so for me it is moot however I have some friends coming in from Minnesota (their carry permits are not valid in Colorado) who will be doing some back country hiking in Golden Gate Canyon State Park. The eastern third of the 12,000 acre park is in Jefferson County, which bans open carry in the state park except during hunting season if you have a hunting license. The western two thirds of the park is in Gilpin County which does not ban open carry. As long as they stay in the Gilpin County portion, they will be OK open carrying. I did confirm this with the head state parks ranger just to make sure. You will need to contact the specific park/s you plan on visiting to find out if there are any local bans. Thankfully, most of Colorado is gun friendly. Metro areas sometimes do the bans, like Jefferson County which is predominantly suburbs of Denver.
Old April 25, 2011, 05:19 PM   #4
Edward429451

The State parks are all easy access so that is where you will find all the tourists with G-Ma and the kids...they wont walk over two ridges to have fun. So walk over two ridges or carry concealed in the parks.