The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old July 24, 2014, 09:11 PM   #1
BuckRub

S&W 1076 price ?

I have a gun, its a S&W 1076 (10 MM ). My step brother and another friend. Won't state his name but is Anna Nicole Smiths' brother. Both work for the F.B.I. In the Houston Division. Anyways about 15 years ago we (Anna's brother- my friend) made a deal for something and I walked away with his gun the 1076. Bought by the Bureau. It's in good shape and I shot a couple boxes through it right after and ever since only see it to clean about 2-3 times a year for theist 14 yrs or so. Awesome shooter but I like pretty guns that's why I love my Glock 22. Lol
But it shoots really well also has factory night sights but its heavy (stainless) only 10 round mags and the potent 10 jumps pretty good. That's why the agents complained so. My duty gun was my Glock. Lightweight, and mags carried 15 rds.
So all this time its sat but like everyone else, things came up. So I'm gonna sell this baby. What price do you guys/girls recommend ? Thanks
Old July 24, 2014, 10:32 PM   #2
JORZAC

Current Blue Book lists it at $450 for 90% condition. Depending on condition, I'd be interested. I'm in Houston. You can send pics to [email protected] if you're interested.
Old July 25, 2014, 08:37 AM   #3
carguychris

Quote:
Current Blue Book lists it at $450 for 90% condition.
First, it takes a pretty severe beating or an unusual degree of neglect to put an all-stainless steel S&W pistol into 90% condition. Most are 95% condition or better. The only part of the gun that usually shows significant wear is the hard-plastic wraparound grip unit, and these are easily and cheaply replaced.

Second, BB values for S&W 3rd-gens in 10mm or .45ACP are too low IMHO. Searching GB for completed auctions should bear this out.

Third, the legit FBI guns command a premium. The FBI serial prefixes are well-documented, and IF this gun has one, this will help its value. THAT SAID- as the old saying goes, "buy the gun, NOT the story". IOW it doesn't matter if the former owner claimed to be J. Edgar Hoover's nephew- if it doesn't come with verifiable documentation and/or a documented serial number, IMHO you should assume that the story is bogus by default, until proven otherwise.

Numerous completed GB auctions have these pistols selling in the $700-$850 range in fired 95% condition, and I would assume that this pistol should fall within this range as well. Genuine FBI provenance should boost the value, but as stated above, I wouldn't make any assumptions until you check the serial number against a source such as the Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson.
Old July 25, 2014, 09:25 AM   #4
jasmith85

That blue book value sounds super low to me. In my area I have never seen a S&W 1076 with a price of less than $700 on it. My recommendation would be put it on gunbroker and let the market decide its value.
Old July 25, 2014, 11:11 AM   #5
mavracer

Quote:
My recommendation would be put it on gunbroker and let the market decide its value.
+1
That'll let you know what it's really worth. Take good pictures and point out provenance in the discription.
My handguns are are for one purpose only, though...
The starter gun on the "Fat man's mad dash tactical retreat."
Old July 25, 2014, 11:54 AM   #6
tipoc

If the gun is an actual FBI 1076 it will bring a premium as said. A letter from S&W historian Roy Jinks can verify this and add to the value. See here for information on that:

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/w...4_757812_image

Only about 2500 or fewer 1076s made it to the FBI. Their serial number prefixes were TEUxxxx or possibly TFK84xx.

If the gun is what you say it is it will be verifiable. A letter from Jinks should do that. A note from Nicole Smith's brother who you say is your friend (verified by a notary public, a pic of him and her together?) can raise a $500.-$700. dollar gun to over a grand, maybe more.

If not a 1076 in good condition can get you $500.-$700., maybe a little more, depending on where and how you sell it.

tipoc
Old July 25, 2014, 01:05 PM   #7
BuckRub

Thanks thats what I'll do.
Old July 25, 2014, 03:23 PM   #8
RickB

Quote:
I have a gun, its a S&W 1076 (10 MM ). My step brother and another friend.
I have a Delta Elite, a wife, two step-daughters and an uncle!
If your 1076 is an actual FBI duty pistol, it should have the FBI trigger, which, AFAIK was installed only in the guns belonging to the Bureau.
I may be remembering it wrong, but the FBI trigger was black, while the commercial guns had bright stainless triggers.
If it is, indeed, a former FBI gun, it's worth more than a mill-run 1076, but how much?
I'm with tipoc; $500-$700, depending on condition, and maybe $1000 if really nice and with FBI documentation.
Old July 25, 2014, 04:01 PM   #9
tipoc

The FBI run was made without the mag disconnect which was common in most leo guns at the time. Still is many places.

tipoc
Old July 25, 2014, 04:16 PM   #10
carguychris

Quote:
Originally Posted by tipoc
The FBI run was made without the mag disconnect which was common in most leo guns at the time. Still is many places.
Interesting- I was unaware of that.

FWIW for the uninitiated, almost all S&W metal-frame centerfire automatics were built with mag disconnects, with the notable exception of some LE special orders (including FBI M1076's apparently) and later-production DAO pistols.

tipoc, do you know if the FBI guns have the slide banner reading "CAUTION: CAPABLE OF FIRING WITH MAGAZINE REMOVED"? I've seen this on other S&W 3rd-gens that lack the mag disconnect.
Old July 25, 2014, 04:46 PM   #11
tipoc

CarGuyChris,

I'm pulling from the Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson 3rd edition and it makes no mention of that either way.

There was a commercial version of the gun that was offered that had the disconnect installed.

tipoc
Old July 25, 2014, 08:50 PM   #12
Bart Noir

Mine is a commercial one, with the magazine disconnect and also with the improvement that was made to the FBI trigger design. That is shown by the two dots punched into the frame, hidden by the decocking lever unless it is held in the up position.

And I paid a little over $800 several years ago. C'chris was quite right with his price range, based on my sample of one.

If you want to know more on these, I recommend going to the 10mmforum or the smith-wessonforum and searching. It has been discussed heavily, shall we say. And one member there is/was an agent who was issued one and likes it to this day. He provided a lot of info on this gun.

If I remember right (and I may be wrong) FBI bought 3000, used them a bit, rejected them for some silly reason, sent them back to be modified, and then accept only 2000 back. So S&W had 1000 genuine used FBI guns to sell off.

And some FBI agents were able to purchase their issued 1076 models although I think that was frowned on. So real FBI guns will be rare.

I think that that warning is not on the FBI guns even though they did not have the mag disconnect safety.

Bart Noir

Last edited by Bart Noir; July 25, 2014 at 08:56 PM.
Old July 25, 2014, 08:55 PM   #13
Bart Noir

Grip info for FBI

Some or all of the issued FBI guns have a unique curved-backstrap grip. I have seen only a couple of pic's of those and dearly wish I could add one to my civilian 1076. But they can't be found for sale without a bunch of steel attached.

If the OP's gun has that grip, it is even more valuable.

Bart Noir
Old November 24, 2017, 11:00 PM   #14
hacker51

FBI 1076

I'm still waiting for my letter from Roy Jinks that I sent for but my 1076 was verified by Smith & Wesson that my 1076 was sent to Quantico on January 1991 and it hasn't even been sent in for the recall and Smith & Wesson even sent me a recall return label.

Last edited by hacker51; November 24, 2017 at 11:35 PM.
Old November 25, 2017, 09:13 AM   #15
4V50 Gary
Staff

Two and a half years for a letter of authenticity?