The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old November 21, 2001, 10:32 AM   #1
Roadrunner

Two Deer, My First and a Reflection of the Days Events

You may have read my earlier posts seeking help for this hunt and many thanks to all of you for your advice that made my first deer hunt a success.

I went down to my uncle's place in Nelson County (South of Charlottesville) for the opening of general firearms season for deer. I hunted with my cousin and two friends for my first deer hunt. Fortunately my uncle's land is west of Rt.151 in Nelson County and we could hunt both bucks and does all season.

I got my first deer, a doe, late Monday afternoon. We were spread out along a ridge overlooking a creek with trees, scrub brush, and brier bushes. We agreed beforehand that all shots were to go down into the low land and creek bed.

I heard some heavy footsteps running up the ridge behind us and the doe past between a friend and I. I guess the deer spotted him and cut across towards me, running to cross the creek. There wasn't much time to react and I got my shot (about 80-100 yards) just as she was climbing the creek bank on the opposite side.

My second doe, yesterday morning, again came running up from behind. This time she stopped on top of the ridge, I thought she got a whiff of me. She slowly made her way down the front side heading for the creek. I was getting pretty excited, heavy breathing and a racing heartbeat. When she stopped about 60 yards away I brought up my rifle, but my crosshairs were bouncing around due to my breathing. I took a few seconds to relax, the doe never moved, and fired.

Both times the deer went straight down. I was using a Remington 700 in .308 and fired 150 gr Core-Lok rounds.

My cousin and friends patiently talked me through field dressing my two does. I was surprised that there was no blood following my first cut from the base of the ribcage to the butt. However, that smell will wake you up. And it was hot too. I cleaned all that stuff out but when I cut through the diaphram, I was up to my elbows in blood. They keep teasing me "Come on, reach up there and pull that stuff out." My two field dressings were messy, but I did it.

When I checked in my first doe, the store owner called out we got another deer. He asked if it was a buck or doe as his buddies came around. I said it was a doe and their reaction was like "o'well that's good for you." But when I said it was my first deer, they went out and checked it and made me feel like it was the biggest deer they've seen all season. Nice bunch of guys.

We're heading back next week to hunt the last three days. I hope I'm lucky again.

I donated my second deer to the Hunters for the Hungry program and brought it to a local butcher down there. I also learned how to skin and cut the meat.

Pictures to follow later after my second trip next week.

Last edited by Roadrunner; November 21, 2001 at 11:33 AM.
Old November 21, 2001, 11:24 AM   #2
Poodleshooter

And you didn't invite me?
Congratulations! You'll always remember that one.
Old November 21, 2001, 12:14 PM   #3
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Hey, great! Welcome to an ancient and honorable fraternity! And good on ya for sharing...

, Art
Old November 21, 2001, 12:47 PM   #4
Legionnaire

Roadrunner,

Congratulations on your success. Sounds like you did things right. Glad everything worked out well and I hope you continue with the sport. My first deer (many years ago now) was a button buck taken during PA's anterless season. I was pleased as punch. Firsts are always great: first deer, first buck, first with a bow, first with a handgun . . .

Welcome to the fraternity, and I wish you many more seasons of safety and success.
Old November 21, 2001, 01:15 PM   #5
ATTICUS

Congratulations! The hook has been set!
Old November 21, 2001, 10:05 PM   #6
Jeff Urso

Good for you. To me, every deer is a trophy. It's a gift that I never take for granted and always reflect back to fond memories of time in the woods away from the stresses of everyday life. Glad to know meat was donated to the less fortunate!
Old November 21, 2001, 10:53 PM   #7
slick slidestop

I donated my second deer to the Hunters for the Hungry program .......

Well done my man! The story was great, but the thing I was most impressed with was you donating the 2nd deer to charity.

Hunters like you give us a good name!!! Thanks
Old November 21, 2001, 10:53 PM   #8
Fred Hansen

What they said!
"This started out as a documentary on gun violence in America, but the largest mass murder in our history was just committed -- without the use of a single gun! Not a single bullet fired! No bomb was set off, no missile was fired, no weapon (i.e., a device that was solely and specifically manufactured to kill humans) was used. A boxcutter! -- I can't stop thinking about this. A thousand gun control laws would not have prevented this massacre. What am I doing?"

Michael Moore