The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old October 7, 2017, 10:18 AM   #1
Jacket67

Keep coming back to.....

Hey TFL,

No matter how much I look into other options, particularly polymer striker-fired guns, I keep coming back to all metal da/sa handguns. My guess is it's because I love the way all metal guns feel, and the first handgun I really learned to shoot on was a Beretta 92f. Which leads me to my question for you fine folks:

If you were in the market for an all metal da/sa 9mm, which would you choose between the Beretta 92 series (both full size and compact), Sig Sauer (any 9mm model), and the Arex Rex Zero 1 (again, either full size or compact)?

I know the Sig and Rex are practically the same but they are from different companies and have slightly different features. I can't ignore how well the Rex did in MAC's tests for it which is why it draws me towards it. Also it's ability to be used in both da/sa and sao, which I like as well. It is the only of the three that has that option in one package (that I'm currently aware of). It is, however, the one with the shortest track record.

Beretta and Sig are two titans of service pistols with support and opposition for each.

So, if you were looking between these three, which would you choose? If none of them, what would be your choice in this category? (I already assume CZ will have quite some support.)

Thanks in advance!
Old October 7, 2017, 10:33 AM   #2
arquebus357

I felt the same way but recently I just decided to take the polymer striker-fired plunge. After all, how can all those shooters be wrong. I went with a Ruger American Compact because I kind of liked the steam punk appearance. ( thumb safety though )

Then to top it off, I went with one of those cheap tacky kydex OWB holsters. I am set...bring on the zombies.
Old October 7, 2017, 10:42 AM   #3
Jacket67

I actually own a shield in 9mm, which is a polymer striker-fired handgun. I think it's great for it's purpose and in no way shape or form am I discrediting the capabilities of any polymer striker fired handguns.

I am just stating what I have noticed about my own preferences lately and am asking what people would choose in this category.
Old October 7, 2017, 10:47 AM   #4
sigarms228

Quote:
I know the Sig and Rex are practically the same but they are from different companie
No they are not. They look similar but that is where the similarity ends. They don't share a single common part.

My personal preference is the SIG P226 but get whatever SIG or Beretta you like best or shoot the best. They are both very proven designs that have been in service for decades. The Arex is unproven and very little are out there in the US. I read on another forum where a users Arex was dead in the box brand new and they would not pay for shipping to fix. One has to wonder what service and parts availability will be in the future. I can't imagine resale/trade in value will be much either. New Beretta 92FS are selling for less than the Arex these days. That is a total no brainer if one likes the Beretta. Plenty of nice used 9MM SIG P226s for under $600 these days too and often German made and proofed.

New Beretta 92FS for $450 shipped.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/beret...js92f300m.html
Old October 7, 2017, 11:09 AM   #5
hdwhit

Or how about a Taurus 92?
Old October 7, 2017, 11:48 AM   #6
PatientWolf

Of the three brands you list, I'd go with the Sig, whichever size works for you.

If you are open to other options, I'd look hard at the CZ-75.

If your issue is with striker-fired more than the poly, I'd also consider an H&K such as the USPc.
Old October 7, 2017, 12:34 PM   #7
pblanc

I have had a Beretta 92FS for quite a few years, and it was one of the first quality handguns I owned. I also have a couple of Beretta Cougars.

When it comes to all-metal, DA/SA handguns, I have a slight to moderate preference for the classic P series SIGs and I prefer the P-229 to the P226. I think the trigger action on the SIG is better than that of the F model Berettas.

As for the Aero Rex, I have never even seen one. I would not be one to select a pistol that I had not seen based on internet chatter. I would not worry too much about the ability of the SIG to stand up to harsh conditions. The Navy Special Warfare Command used the P-226 for many years, and some members still carry it. If the P-226 had become unreliable in that setting, we would have heard about it by now. I doubt you will subject your pistol to more wet, sand, and muck than a Navy SEAL.

As for which pistol is better for you, only you can say. I tend to shoot the SIG P-229 better than my Beretta 92FS, even though I have had the Beretta much longer. The SIG just seems as if it was made for my hand.
Old October 7, 2017, 12:48 PM   #8
Siggy-06

The Sigs will cost more new than the Berettas. I really like the 92's, but if I had the option I'd get the P229 from Sig.
Old October 7, 2017, 02:53 PM   #9
BigJimP

Sig 226 .... is my personal choice over the options you listed. There are a lot of versions of the 226...personally I would go with one of the all stainless versions.
Old October 7, 2017, 03:36 PM   #10
ritepath

Between those 3, I'd go with the CZ SP-01 or 75.
Old October 7, 2017, 04:29 PM   #11
Brit

I look through the various posts, on many subjects. And still, find that most posters are in La La land.

The average CCW individual has the idea, that having the most guns, of a different style, construction, and calibre is the way to go.

And wear a different one, each day, in a different place on the body! Of course, a different holster.

Let us first look at me! And any other people who are also that bit older, and retired.

The Number one reason we carry CCW pistols is just in case we have to defend our lives, and our companions at that time we are confronted by danger.

IMHO and quite a few others, the 9mm cartridge, is as good as any for this task.

To match that round to a pistol, that has to be carried all the time. Day and night. Must be trouble free, accurate, and light! And especially for me, lots of bullets! As the new members say.

Me, Glock 19 4th Gen. Love the wee pyramids in the grip. Sixteen round capacity, 147g Ranger T cartridges. Just about the lightest pistol for that calibre, and capacity.

Same gun, same place, always. A spare Glock 17 magazine, on the left side, good bright flashlight, next to it. Right side pocket, Access Lock Benchmade.
Fibre bolsters, light as a feather.

Why 16 round capacity? So the first burst fire of rounds? Could be 4 or 5 in the upper chest, then move to cover, if that is the right move? And still, have a bunch left!
Old October 7, 2017, 04:54 PM   #12
ritepath

^ Did you reply to the wrong thread?
Old October 8, 2017, 05:11 PM   #13
rodfac

The Sig P226 is a big pistol...and hard to find significantly smaller grips for, if you like a slimmer profile...I like it but seldom carry it, preferring my M11A1 (a P229 in everything but name).

Both are superb weapons with 100% reliability for CC operations. Accuracy and Sig quality in both, which you pay for. If you can master the DA/SA trigger manipulation, or opt for a DAK only model, either would be my choice. Either comes in .40 S&W if a bigger bullet floats your boat (I have a .40 exchange slide and barrel assembly for the P226 and like it better than the 9mm).

The M11A1 (P229) has a short reset trigger which has helped some in the transition from a 1911 to the Sig...too, I've found that I don't miss the 1911 grip nearly as much once I got used the more rotund Sig.

But day in day out, night in night out, I carry the M11A1 for its shorter bbl. and lack of a rail (hinders my draw from the holsters I use). Too, if you believe all the current hype, the newest generation of 9mm boutique self defense bullets are the equal of any .40 or .45 round...a claim I have reservation about but the 9 is good enough for carry as a civilian. Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.
Old October 8, 2017, 05:16 PM   #14
bm303

CZ-75 SP-01 tactical for home defense, P-01 for carry/HD, PCR for carry only.
Old October 8, 2017, 05:32 PM   #15
JoeSixpack

I'd go with the 92 fullsize, did they start making the compacts again? they use to be discontinued.

I don't have a cz75, people i've met with them seem to like them though.

Nothing wrong with the sig but sig's just don't "talk" to me.. I've never had a desire to own any of them.

I don't have any idea what a rex zero is.

BTW If you want to try out a 92 but don't wanna Beretta, There is also Taurus.. not an apples for apples thing but I actually like it better cause of the frame safety..

Also check CDNN not sure if they still have them on sale but they had "Zenith" clones for 300 I think.
I suspect they're very similar to the ones ATI imported many years back.. although the Zenith's look liek they have finger grooves on the front strap.

If so then they're a sold buy at 300 but I wouldn't give more than 350.
Old October 11, 2017, 07:41 AM   #16
Roland Thunder

I had a Sig 226 9mm and I loved it but I couldn't shoot it very well. If I ever master the DA/SA trigger, I might get another one eventually. It's a classic pistol for sure.
Old October 11, 2017, 08:33 AM   #17
adamBomb

I just picked up a new 92FS from buds for $469 and apparently PSA has them for $449. The Sigs are significantly more money. Both are awesome pistols and have great reputations for quality and reliability. I think the Beretta is one of the nicest looking guns out there and is a classic worth having in any collection...then again I think the Sig 226 may be as well.
Old October 11, 2017, 02:44 PM   #18
bassJAM1

I was in the same boat as the OP, not caring for the polymer striker fired guns I had, and then one day I shot a 92 and fell in love.

But in the end I decided to get a CZ 75 and I have no regrets, I love that gun. I'll probably still pick up a Beretta 92 someday when I run across the right deal.

I've shot a 226 as well, and just didn't care for it as much. Seeing as how it's the most expensive, I doubt I'll ever own one. The Arex looks intriguing, but still not enough so to get one over a 92.

Regardless I'd go for a full sized. Unless you really want to try to conceal carry a large, heavy, "compact" brick, I think the full sized is the better choice if this is for the range and home defense.
Old October 11, 2017, 02:56 PM   #19
Targa

There are excellent deals going on right now for 92's.
Old October 11, 2017, 03:42 PM   #20
LAH

Quote:
^ Did you reply to the wrong thread?
It happens I guess. No harm done.
Old October 11, 2017, 04:02 PM   #21
muzzleblast...

Between the SIG P226 and the Beretta M92, my preference goes to the P226. Nothing against the M92, I also like it. I know nothing about the Rex Zero.

As for compacts, I find the Beretta compacts as well as the SIG P228/229 to still be relatively large / bulky for me. A metal framed compact DA/SA that I do like carrying is the S&W 6906, now out of production but available on the used market. The CZ75 compact is one that I have wanted for some time. I really like the way the grip fits my hand.

Good luck in your search.
Old October 11, 2017, 08:47 PM   #22
Danoobie

I've got a couple 92s I really like, but I'm ready to try a Rex Zero. Since I already have a potload of CC guns it would be a full-size.
Old October 13, 2017, 07:31 AM   #23
HistoryJunky

I prefer some flavor of CZ. The grip on the Beretta is too dang big and I don't care much for the Sig.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk
Old October 13, 2017, 02:13 PM   #24
Bart Noir

I was about the mention the M92 Compact and Joe beat me to it. The website shows two, stainless with a rail and blued without a rail. The Compact fits my hand so nicely that I recommend it, since it has all the good things of a full-size 92 except the size. Yeah, a few rounds less in the magazine but a nice pistol.

For those who do not like the big grip on the 92, the website is also showing that they still make the Vertec model. This has a different grip which is close to a 1911.

Bart Noir
Old October 13, 2017, 02:23 PM   #25
jmr40

If someone issues me a Beretta I'll use it with confidence. Great guns, but they just don't appeal to me. If I'm spending my money on a DA/SA gun it will be a Sig. CZ's are highly over rated, had 'em, won't be going back. But even though I own a Sig, I'd reach for just about any plastic gun before the Sig.

Winston Churchill