The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old November 24, 2010, 01:19 AM   #1
lArepuS

Scope Rings, More money = better?

So, I decided to install a scope on my 10/22 recently and ended up purchasing the Simmons 22 mag scope. I was browsing around websites just looking at other goodies for my 10/22 and noticed the price of scope rings ranged from $10-50 and was surprised by the costs of some of these rings.

I've gotten recommendations on Burris Sig. Zee Rings which cost around $35 which is a little more than half the cost of my scope already. Because of the price, I decided to first use the rings that came w/ my scope and the rails that came with the gun and see if there is any problems with it.

So, what are the benefits to these higher priced rings? I saw one that had adjustments for windage, but can't this be done w/ the scope already?
Old November 24, 2010, 01:40 AM   #2
bassfishindoc

There are a lot of factors that go into pricing of the scope rings. You pay more for higher quality metals, sturdier materials, lighter rings, quick detach, etc. A lot of the price comes from the tolerances that the rings are built to. It takes a lot of skill and engineering to make a set of rings that line up perfectly and hold the scope to very strict tolerances that will hold your scope just right to hit what you are aiming at, at a miles distance. The average shooter, however, will not be shooting at distances or have the expertise to appreciate the difference. Also, with a $60 scope, the rings you get are not going to make much difference so just purchase a set that looks good to you.
East Tennessee State University Quillen College of Medicine
Old November 24, 2010, 02:35 PM   #3
lArepuS

Thank you for the info.
Old November 25, 2010, 01:41 PM   #4
Cowboy_mo

check out ebay for deals on scope mounts and rings. I found a set of Leupold bases and rings (like new) for about 1/3 of the retail price.

Granted these bases and rings might not make any difference with your current scope but sooner or later you're going to upgrade (yup experience speaking) and then they will be more important.

I believe you asked earlier about the windage adjust -- Why because you have that on your scope. Well once you get your scope mounted and want to bore sight it, it may take a large adjustment to get it centered. The windage adjustment on the mounts saves the windage adjustment on your scope for 'fine tuning'. Happy Shooting..
Old November 25, 2010, 05:35 PM   #5
jmr40

On a 10-22 I'd have no problem using anything made by Weaver. I have the 4X4 rings from Walmart on several with no issues. For that matter the Weavers work as good as anything else on centerfires. They just don't look as good.
Old November 26, 2010, 06:34 AM   #6
Hawg

I prefer Redfields but like was said bout anything would work on a .22. I've used rings with windage adjustments. They're good for fine tuning when a click on a scope is too much.