The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old October 25, 2010, 01:07 PM   #1
fortkevin2

Sell Marlin 39A to buy Henry H001L or get both?

Hey Guys,
I picked up a Marlin 39A recently for a pretty decent price. It's an awesome rifle, accurate and well built.

I saw that Henry has a Carbine (16.25" Barrel weights 4.5lbs) model H001L for around $277 at DSG's. With the $50 off coupon I have I could get it out the door for $250 after tax.

My question is, will I regret selling the Marlin after I buy the Henry? Again, the marlin is well built and very accurate but with a 24" barrel it just doesn't feel "handy" or compact like the Henry is. I'm a sucker for compact carbines of any sort (semi, single shot, lever etc)

So, should I keep the Marlin and go buy the Henry also or sell the marlin and after I buy the Henry??
Old October 25, 2010, 01:35 PM   #2
Dave R

Here at TFL, we almost always say "get both!"

I have the Henry, and just love the thing. It is as accurate as my 10/22 and Marlin, and fun to shoot.

The course of action that gives you the most options is to buy the Henry first, and see how you like it. If you don't, you can sell it off. If you do, you can sell the Marlin.

But I'll bet you wind up keeping both.
Old October 25, 2010, 02:00 PM   #3
pythagorean

If that Marlin works you'd better keep it.
There isn't much out there to substitute for a good solid all steel lever action .22 RF.
Generally the consensus for such is:
1. 9422 Winchester
2. Marlin 39 A
3. Henry

The first two are the prime choices.
Old October 25, 2010, 02:22 PM   #4
Pahoo

fortkevin2
Consider yourself fortunate on getting a good deal on that 39. Most start at the bottom and work their way up. You, on the other hand, are already there. Whatever you decide to do, keep the Marlin. I'm not about to put down the Henry but personally having a member of the 39-family, is really all I need. If it's a Mountie, sell it to me .....

Be Safe !!!
Old October 26, 2010, 03:43 PM   #5
TriumphGuy

There's a reason a new 39A costs $500. Henrys are cheap, save your pennies and get both if you really want one.
Old October 27, 2010, 07:10 PM   #6
badlander

You would be trading A Caddy for A chevy. You could always cut the marlin to the length you like.
Old October 30, 2010, 01:31 PM   #7
dgludwig

The 39 is and always will be a classic. The Henry is a nice enough rifle but it will never be in the league of the Marlin. Keep the Model 39!
Old October 30, 2010, 02:36 PM   #8
dagger dog

If you sell the Marlin to buy the Henry, you WILL live to regret that transaction.

Although they are both quality lever action .22 rimfire rifles, that is the only thing they have in common.

The Marlin is a throw back to the era when the hand fitting and workmanship were at a peak, the newer 39's, have gone through production changes that still replicate, but are not equal to the hand fitted craftmanship that was built into the early models of the 30's 40's 50's and even 60's.

The production changes that were needed to compete with inflation of the USA dollar, during the later period of the '70's-2010 compromised the original build specifactions of the '39, most of the hand fitting, was reduced by the processes needed to control the price to make this gun marketable.

Enter the Henry, a name that stands out in the American gun production industry. But the ones that that are in production today are just that A NAME ONLY.

The Henry .22 rifles are quality rifles, but are produced in profit driven modern environment. They will stand the test of time no doubt.

There is NO comarison between these 2 rifles, BETTER GO FOR BOTH !
Old October 30, 2010, 03:17 PM   #9
Big Bill

Quote:
My question is, will I regret selling the Marlin after I buy the Henry?
YES YES YES!!! You will regret it. The Henry's internal mechanics are not steel. The receiver is zinc alloy. I had one and sold it. Keep the Marlin.
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time." - General George Patton Jr
Old October 31, 2010, 08:11 AM   #10
Laserlips

JMOfartO:

Well, I'm absolutely new to the Marlin 39A, but not to 22cal rifles in general.. I got my first 22cal. rifle as a 12th birthday present, in 1954...

In 1954 they were making making Marlin 39A's.. (And had been for over half a century)...

Recently, my interest in casual plinking was reawakened (if that's a word), and my first purchase was a pristine Remington Nylon 66.. I had two of these previously, and they are excellent auto-loaders, fun to shoot and pretty darn accurate. I took the Nylon66 out back to my range (I live in the country), and it performed flawlessly..

When I rejoined several rimfire forums, and the subject of accuracy in a 22cal rifle came up, one of the names I kept seeing was the Marlin 39A. I'd never even had an interest in a lever action 22cal. rifle but recently my friend inherited an original lever action Winchester 38X40 cal. model 1873(?), and I was attracted to the old lever action classic.

I don't hunt anything so I didn't want a centerfire lever action rifle, but I was intrigued about what I kept reading of the 39A, and by reputation alone it seemed to have a lot to offer an old fart like myself as a casual plinker who was interested in a lever action model.

When my friends and I went to a gun show in Savannah, Ga. recently, it was destiny that one of the first booths I passed had a "like new" 39A sitting there, calling my name.. A "siren song" of the first magnitude.

Crap, I didn't even have enough money to buy the sucker....

But, my darlin' bride of over 4 decades said, "honey, if you want it, I'll "loan you the difference".. (I might add here, that I'm a "spender", my brides a "saver")...

So, for $400.00 I brought a like new 1996 39A home..

I don't think I got a "bargain", or a "steal", but I do think the exchange of $400.00 for the 39A was reasonable and fair, and I think both the seller, and I know, the buyer went away happy.

So I brought the 39A home, cleaned 'er up, and back out to the back yard range... I took along the Nylon 66 too... (Just for comparison you know).

It turns out the auto-loading Nylon66 is quite accurate... It's fun to shoot, as long as you don't have a Marlin 39A to shoot at the same outing for comparison.

The 39A is SUPREMELY accurate... It's equally "fun" to shoot...

So, it boils down to what suits your fancy.

The comparison is actually "apples to oranges", as the very good, light, plastic stocked Remington is a great auto-loading plinker (or for small game hunting), and someone must agree, as over a million have been sold.

But, if a lever action, top quality, amazingly accurate 22cal. plinker (or hunter if that's your interest), I should suggest it would be pretty hard to find a better choice than the Marlin 39A..

If just sales alone mean anything (not saying they do), then if the Nylon 66, (now discontinued for roughly 2 decades) had a MILLION buyers, it must be a pretty darn good gun..

But, along that line of thinking, the Marlin Original Golden 39A, (still in production) has had over 2.2 million buyers..

I gave my last Nylon 66 (NIB) to a favorite niece about 20 years ago, and she still has it. I wanted another, and I have one.. Great little plinker.

I absolutely stumbled on the Marlin 39A, and I have one. I want two.

The Nylon 66, sweet as it is, is on the market...

I think of the Nylon 66 as a very good 22 autoloader.. I think it's a perfect choice for a young person who doesn't care, or need, to know how to make the "first" shot count... But, it's accurate, it's reliable, and it's a very good rimfire rifle.

I think the Marlin Original Golden 39A is one of the best 22 cal rifles ever made... If you want to shoot the smallest groups possible that your particular marksmanship skills allow I would suggest the 39A would offer you the platform for that task.

I love the Nylon 66, I love the Marlin 39A more better....

As to your "sell 39A" to buy a Henry?

My vote would be with the gentleman who said hold on to the 39A, buy a Henry, then decide which you like. (Maybe both).

Sell the one you don't like the best if you need to.

Just from what I read the Henry is a very good lever action rifle, but when compared to a Marlin 39A, I'd suggest the difference between the two would be like the reference made to a late U.S. President by Lloyd Bentson to Dan Quale.

Just personal old fart opinion.. No offense to those who might disagree with my thinking.. I'm just conversin', not confrontin'..

Oh yeah..

Best Wishes,

Jesse

P.S. And how great is it to have a wife who likes guns (she has her own LWS32 and LCP), and is willing to loan ME money to buy more?

Old October 31, 2010, 10:14 AM   #11
jmortimer

The Henry does not has a "zinc" receiver. They have either brass alloy receivers or aluminum receivers. Action is smoother and more reliable. There is nothing wrong with a Henry and the Marlin 39 is a good gun but the Winchester 9422s were better. The Henry is a great gun and the Marlin may be better but again the Henry has a better, smoother, faster action. Your Marlin will jam before the Henry. Evil Roy uses the Golden Boy at his shooting school because he knows it has a faster, smoother, better action http://www.henryrepeating.com/rifle-goldenboy.cfm

Last edited by jmortimer; October 31, 2010 at 01:34 PM.
Old October 31, 2010, 10:45 AM   #12
Pahoo

Quote:
They have alloy receivers.
What does that mean to anyone and to be exact, the "alloy" is aluminum and that information comes from a factory rep.
Quote:
There is nothing wrong with a Henry and the Marlin 39 is a good gun but the Winchester 94/22s were better.
I do not like posts that try to pit one gun against another and prefer to stay on point to OP's question.

Will say that the Henry has one of the smothest cycling of most lever actions and is well fitted but that is where it ends for me...
The reciever finishes will not stand the test of time.

Personally, I would only buy a Henry if it was the only one, I could afford. JMHO ..

Be Safe !!!
Old October 31, 2010, 11:18 AM   #13
jmortimer

The Golden Boys have a brass alloy (and it is an alloy - i.e. metal blend) receiver that is more than stong enough. Nothing wrong with an aluminum receiver either. Agree, generally, but those who bash the Henry are mistaken and the current production Marlin 39 is not the same quality of fit and finish that it once was. Again, I will say, the Henry's action is smoother, faster and more reliable. You stated above that the Marlin was better than the Henry and it may be "better" so it is no different than someone saying the Winchester 9422 is "better" than the Marlin. It's O.K. to have an opinion - you have one - Marlins are best.
Old October 31, 2010, 11:53 AM   #14
Laserlips

JMOfartO:

I'm of the opinion that if you have a Winchester 9422 that has performed wonderfully for you, then there simply is no better lever action rimfire rifle made, for you..

I'm of the opinion that if you have a Marlin Original Golden 39A that has performed wonderfully for you, then there is simply no better lever action rimfire rifle made, for you..

I'm of the opinion that if you have a Henry lever action rimfire rifle that has performed wonderfully for you, then there is simply no better lever action rimfire rifle made, for you.

The only differences between the three makes, respectfully, and in my opinion, are the Winchester 9422 has a great reputation, is no long produced, and when one comes up for sale, it's kinda pricey.

The Marlin Original Golden 39A is relatively easy to find, but kinda pricey too for a person looking for a casual plinker in 22 cal. No doubt the present day 39A suffer from ills the earlier ones did not have, but that's life in 2010 America.. Regardless of the known extractor problems of the newer 39A's they still command a high price, and are highly respected by most folks.

From what I read 99% of problems in the new 39A's can be remedied by replacing the "new' ejector with an "old type" ejector from Wisner for $21.00. I'll let'cha know I've ordered one myself.

I know my particular 39A is the most accurate rimfire rifle I've personally ever owned, or fired, and from time to time I DO have a failure to eject, but the darn thing makes such small holes in paper I can live with an occasional fte if I have to.

The Henry line of rifles have a reputation for smooth action, good accuracy, and price wise, are a real bargain when compared to the 9422 and 39A... Folks who don't care either way about "plating" and such, (and many don't) are well served with the Henry.

And the price is right...

But folks who don't care for plating and such, and who wish a lever action rimfire of such "perceived" quality as to be heirloom material generally, I say generally, would by-pass the Henry's, as good as they are, for the "perceived" better quality, and desirability of the Marlin and Winchester..

Anyway, I'm of the opinion that quality in America, in almost everything, has declined since the generation that fought in WW2 was born... Values have changed, and quality in products have decreased almost across the board..

Hey, what do I know, I'm just repeating what I've read on the various firearm forums, and anyway, I'm out shopping now for a Browning SA22..:barf:

Go figure..

No offense, again just conversin' not confrontin'...

Best Wishes,

Jesse
Old October 31, 2010, 12:17 PM   #15
.300 Weatherby Mag

Laserlips,

I have a question for you... What specific .22 load are you shooting through thr 39A?? My 9422 will absolutely run flawlessly until I feed it with any remington rimfire ammo, especially the golden bullets.. Then it does the ftf and fte eject thing.. I'm wondering if your 39A is "allergic" to a specific ammo as well..
Old October 31, 2010, 12:59 PM   #16
az_imuth

Quote:
I picked up a Marlin 39A recently for a pretty decent price. It's an awesome rifle, accurate and well built.
Quote:
I'm a sucker for compact carbines of any sort (semi, single shot, lever etc)
Based on these two statements alone, maybe you should do what I did. Hold on to your 39A until you run across a nice 39M or Mountie, and then trade. It will have most of the traits of the rifle you now have, as well as those you are wishing for in a carbine. Best of both worlds.

I have examples of the Winchester 9422, Marlin 39M, Henry GB and even an Ithaca M49. I like them all...each and every one. I buy my rifles to enjoy, and I can have just as much fun with the little old Ithaca as I can with any of the others. Get what you want and then go shoot it. The fun is in the shootin, not in the name.
Old October 31, 2010, 02:22 PM   #17
Laserlips

300WxMag:

Actually,

The only brand I've fired thru my recently acquired 39A ARE the Remington Golden rounds from the 550 value pack box... (Not even from a recent batch).

The reason is that after I bought my Nylon 66 I found THREE new 550 rd.boxes of the stuff I had stashed from several years ago when I was "into" plinking with my rimfire pistols. As a believer in the "waste not, want not" (especially for a financially "challenged" retired senior citizen) theory that's what I started shooting

The Remington Golden's functioned perfectly in the Nylon 66, and when I bought the 39A I still had a couple of hundred rounds from the first box left over so that's what I started shooting in it.

So, the ONLY round that I've yet to shoot in the 39A ARE the Golden Remington's, but I also have a thousand rounds or so of the Green Box CCI Standard Velocity rds left over from when I was shooting my (long gone) High Standard Hamden Trophy (the ONLY round it would function properly with) so I'll pull some of those out and how the Original Golden likes those.

I just "assumed" when the Nylon66 fed the Remington's perfectly that the 39A would, and it never occurred to me that the problem might be the round, not the rifle.

You'd think after shooting 22 rifles for over half a century I'd have been smart enough to at least consider ammo "might" be the problem all by myself, but I believe my brain matter is becoming smaller in direct inverse proportion to the size of my prostate increasing.:barf:

Yeah I know.. TMI?

I greatly appreciate your suggestion, and IF I can remember where the CCI's are, and where the 39A is, and where my back yard is located, I'm going to certainly check it out..

I also suffer from CRS.

Thank you again..

Embarrassed,

Jesse

P.S. IF the CCI rounds do not resolve the intermittent fte issue, what brand would you recommend I try next? Also I gave my 39A a "casual cleaning" before firing it, but I've yet to "break it down" for a more thorough cleaning.

Last edited by Laserlips; October 31, 2010 at 02:30 PM.
Old October 31, 2010, 02:25 PM   #18
.300 Weatherby Mag

If I may make one more suggestion.. You might want to clean up the chamber before trying to shoot another ammo variety.. Some lots of the golden bullets foul like black powder..

All of my guns like Federal 510's...