The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old June 3, 2010, 02:57 AM   #1
Dr. Strangelove

Lovin' my old Pietta 1858 Rem

I bought it out of Cabela's 20 years ago, my favorite uncle and I bought 2 with holsters and full starter kit for about $130.00 each, if I remember correctly.

It's always been a great shooter with no modifications. I shoot several other modern caliber pistols and load for them as well. The 1858 has always been at least as accurate and usually more so than my modern pistols.

Shooting with a buddy the other day, he was impressed with it's accuracy but still doubted it's lethality... until we went to the chronograph.

I'm getting just shy of 1000fps avg with round balls (@142grs) and Pyrodex, he was amazed by the power of these old pistols.
Old June 3, 2010, 06:05 AM   #2
Doc Hoy

Dr. S.,

Nice post. It is always stimulating to read of another shooter's pleasure.

Last edited by Doc Hoy; June 3, 2010 at 06:33 AM.
Old June 3, 2010, 06:58 AM   #3
horseman308

I never really understood why people are so skeptical off the power of these old guns. I saw a show on the discovery channel about the history of guns and gunpowder, where they used 6 lbs. of regular black powder to blow a hatchback up into the air and onto its roof. It may not be quite as powerful as today's stuff, but it's still no joke.
Old June 3, 2010, 07:53 AM   #4
Fiv3

As I've gotten more and more into BP, I too am fascinated by the relative lack of respect modern shooters give its lethality. The advent of smokeless did give us higher pressures and velocities in a more compact and transportable cartridge, but some folks seem to have the idea that gun altercations of the BP were the equivalent of BB gun fights.

I wouldn't want to stand in front of a .45 anything be it ACP, Colt, BP ball, or even a .45 ball baring from a sling shot. I know a lot of civil war soldiers were killed by infection from their wounds, but an awful lot of them died right where they stood too.

...of course, Hollywood would also have us believe that a single thump from a .45 acp will cause a man to be thrown 6' backwards and through a plate glass window

Great read Makes me want to get out to the range...if it weren't going to rain today
Old June 3, 2010, 08:29 PM   #5
bedbugbilly

Obviously some folks aren't convinced by the enormous number of fatalities the Civil War produced "with those old guns"????

Great post and it's nice to hear you're still enjoying your Remington after having it all those years . . . . kind of proves that things "just get better with age!"
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old June 4, 2010, 05:57 AM   #6
plom

in many parts of the world BP guns are not even concidered as weapons, let them believe it people will never learn from history :-)