The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 10, 2008, 05:24 PM   #1
Charlie218

LEE Breech Lock Challenger Press - HELP

This seems like it should be easy, but I can't figure out how to attach the shellholder to the ram? I have searched this site and also the LEE site, the picture only shows someone lying the shellholder on top of the ram and the directions show a 'shellholder retainer' part but damned if I can figure out how to attach the shellholder....

Thanks for helping this newbie to reloading...
Old March 10, 2008, 06:37 PM   #2
ForneyRider

There is a pin that wraps around it.

It's small, looks like a c or a g.

Place the shellholder in the top of the piston and center.

Then get the pin and stick it in the hole and then wrap the rest of the pin around.

I think you only get one. But a hardware shop should have more.
Old March 10, 2008, 06:46 PM   #3
Charlie218

Thanks Forney.....there is no hole or groove in the shellholder for anything to attach to it, the instructions photo shows it just sitting there and you can't really see it is retained with something, it's weird, maybe I should try taking a picture and uploading it although I've never done that before.......
Seems like it should be so simple, but I just can't figure it out...maybe I'll see if I can get through to LEE's customer support, all this came in a kit......
If I can't figure this out, maybe I shouldn't be reloading????
Old March 10, 2008, 07:18 PM   #4
CrustyFN

I don't know if the ram is the same as the classic turret. On th CT you just slide the shell holder in the slot from the front.
Rusty
Old March 10, 2008, 07:20 PM   #5
jswaff

Are you using the primer shellholder out of the red box of the shellholder that came with your dies? Two completly different holders.
Old March 10, 2008, 07:25 PM   #6
Charlie218

jswaff......yes to the red box. Does that mean I need to buy a different shellholder for the Press? I bet that is the problem, I would have thought a 'kit' for a newby would have all you need to get started.....
Old March 10, 2008, 07:30 PM   #7
jswaff

If you are using Lee dies, the shellholder included with the dies will work, if not you will need to get the other shellholders in the I think green or yellow box.
Old March 10, 2008, 08:13 PM   #8
CrustyFN

If you are talking about the bunch of shell holders that come in the red box, those are only for the auto prime hand primer. The shell that came with the dies should slide in from the front. These are the auto prime shell holders.

This is the shell holder that comes with the dies that should go in the ram of your press.

Rusty
Old March 10, 2008, 08:43 PM   #9
rwilson452

the correct shell holder will slide right in provided you either have the ram raised a bit or don't put the primer lever in. If you don't put the primer lever in you won't get it in later. so raise the ram a little until the primer lever goes down enough to get the shell holder in. I don't recall if the press you have has a tube on the bottom of the ram to catch the spent primers. if it does you need he primer lever in to help guide the spent primer down the ram. otherwise a few will escape.
Old March 11, 2008, 04:05 AM   #10
Charlie218

Thanks gentlemen, you answered my question.....