The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old December 25, 2007, 06:55 AM   #1
ISC

When you go to the range, how much is recreation, how much is training?

I'm just curious. What is the breakdown for your range time for actual practical training vs casual recreation? What are some examples of each?

I made a post recently about some of the techniques I use to practice stressed shooting. I also practice tactical reloads,shooting from cover, weak hand shooting, shooting from the prone, kneeling, sitting, and standing positions,engaging multiple targets, double taps, and sometimes shooting and moving. That last one requires an empty range.

For purely recreational plinking one of the things I like to do is to shoot golfballs. I'll screw in a sheetrock screw and tie it to a piece of 550 cord which I tie to a tent stake or the bottom of a target stand. It gives you a reactive target without littering the range with debris.

What are some of the other methods you use to train?
Old December 25, 2007, 08:32 AM   #2
Wrascal

Fun only.
And hopefully I'm learning something from it.
Old December 25, 2007, 10:03 AM   #3
rampage841512

It's both all at the same time.
Old December 25, 2007, 11:14 AM   #4
kgpcr

A range is practice not training. Yes you get benefits from shooting at the range but its not real training!
Smith M&P 40
Old December 25, 2007, 11:58 AM   #5
PzGren

Range time is fun time, particularly if the results are good. To make sure that I am satisfied with myself, I have a range diary and some little parcours laid out.

Even if it can be considered training, it's recreation since I enjoy it way too much!
Old December 25, 2007, 12:19 PM   #6
skeeter1

For the most part, I shoot at an indoor range, in which case it's more for training than recreation. It's just poking holes in paper.

Now then, when I get to my buddy's farm, that's another story. We set up tin cans, old fruit, etc. and shoot just for fun.
Old December 25, 2007, 12:22 PM   #7
The Tourist

Sadly, my shooting now is almost all recreation. And more and more, I'm relying on .22LR ammo for this plinking.

I'm reloading less, and I've almost given up casting. Free time is so sparse now that when I have a free day I just go out and play.

If a buddy wants to shoot, it's usually at the last minute, and I grab some .22's or a Country Crock tub of whatever reloads fall to hand.

Then we chase beer cans for the afternoon.
Old December 25, 2007, 03:45 PM   #8
vox rationis

I find going to the regular range very constraining for anything other than bullseye shooting cause I'm always being told to "slow down" ..it is frustrating not being able to shoot as fast as I can despite the fact that it is absolutely clear that all of my shots are in the center mass/head area..frustrating I tell you!
Old December 25, 2007, 09:59 PM   #9
allenomics

I'd say 75% practice, 25% recreation/fun.
Old December 26, 2007, 08:26 AM   #10
tegemu

!00% of both.
Old December 26, 2007, 09:30 AM   #11
rem870hunter

checking the sights and scopes 25%
plinking 20%
testing ammo 25%
clay targets 20%
quickshots ( walking towards target straight on or from left or from right) bring shotgun up fast to simulate move and shoot. i may kneel or stand. 10%

open range for the last. i thought i was all alone once then another guy showed up right when i was yelled HALT HALT DROP IT and fast fired 2 rounds. behind me i heard someone yell HEY WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON. YOU ALLRIGHT. i told him i was half left.
Old December 26, 2007, 03:03 PM   #12
rbounds217

Most of my range time is spent trying to match out a friend. Pick a spot on the paper and try to get good groups. Two-shot and three-shot practice is also a good skill to have from what I have been told. If we are out at the farm, it's all about just getting a "hit," whether it's a beer can or one of our kid's stuffed animals. (The old ratty ones, I know what everyone is thinking!). The important part is that even if it is "training," it should still be fun.
Old December 26, 2007, 04:06 PM   #13
ATW525

I practice at the range and it's mostly fun. Training is something I do under the guidance of a qualified instructor.
Old December 26, 2007, 11:00 PM   #14
ISC

wow ATW, Don't you have any skills that you practice on your own to maintain proficiency?

To deny that practicing previously acquired skills has training value is obtuse.
Old December 27, 2007, 04:37 AM   #15
bestbod85

Agreed, follow the 5 P's, Practice Prevents Piss-Poor Performance
Old December 28, 2007, 12:36 AM   #16
captkirk9195

For me, it is practice and training, and fun. As I shoot more, I do practice more "isssues" such as tactical reloads, or short magazines, etc.

Since it is an indoor range, I can't practice approaching the target, or other real "movement" based exercises. But at the same time, the only time I suspect I will be pulling a weapon will be because some jerk has decided to break into my house. Don't need to practice a whole lot of movement to pop someone coming up the stairs in my house, who is dumb enough to not stop with a gun in his face.

I typically set my .22 revolver (SA), P220 SAO, and Makarov .380 on the table. I then load them and pick one at random. Then I switch to one of the other ones, etc. I think the changing of gun/caliber helps me pay attention to what I am doing. I typically fire at targets at the 7 line since that's where I suspect most incidents will occur (big room). Anything further away, I'd hope to be able to find cover/escape. I do shoot a couple of rounds at the 3 line most sessions too, but it isn't my main concentration.

Can definately tell the difference between the .22, .380, and .45 between the 3 line and 7 line. At the 3 line, they all aim right on bullseye to hit it. At the 7 line, the .22 is dead on. The .380 and .45 have enough drop to have to aim higher to hit bullseye.

I also occasionally bring the Rem 870 Express Magnum 12 ga to the range as well. Though I had it a hair too much on the bone last time, and the 3" magnum loads kicked my rear (still have the bruises days later). The 2 3/4 rounds didn't bother me a bit for reference.

HTH
Jason
Old December 28, 2007, 12:47 AM   #17
TexasSeaRay

I figure I shot and killed all the bad guys that I'm ever going to in this lifetime back when I was younger. So these days, I just go to the range to shoot and plink for relaxation and recreation.

Jeff

So to those of you who are members of neither, thanks for nothing.
Old December 28, 2007, 12:51 AM   #18
ATW525

Quote:
wow ATW, Don't you have any skills that you practice on your own to maintain proficiency?
Uh... didn't you read the first five words I wrote?

Practicing is what I do inbetween training.
Old December 28, 2007, 12:58 AM   #19
TexasSeaRay

Quote:
Practicing is what I do inbetween training.
But do you first do a hundred pushups, then turn five evasive, dodgeball avoidance somersaults while simultaneously executing a tactical-fast-draw-half-reload-with-a-full-twist (degree of difficulty, 3.1) after hanging like a vampire bat from the target pulley cables for a full thirty-minutes before practicing those things an instructor or trainer taught you?

Don't cheat yourself, man . . .

Jeff

So to those of you who are members of neither, thanks for nothing.
Old December 28, 2007, 01:56 AM   #20
ATW525

Quote:
But do you first do a hundred pushups, then turn five evasive, dodgeball avoidance somersaults while simultaneously executing a tactical-fast-draw-half-reload-with-a-full-twist (degree of difficulty, 3.1) after hanging like a vampire bat from the target pulley cables for a full thirty-minutes before practicing those things an instructor or trainer taught you?

Don't cheat yourself, man . . .

Jeff
LOL... okay, sorry I didn't get that one at first

Last edited by ATW525; December 28, 2007 at 02:09 AM. Reason: I'm slow somtimes...
Old December 28, 2007, 03:58 AM   #21
DWARREN123

It is all training even if fun.
Old December 28, 2007, 10:59 AM   #22
Jkwas

Lately it's been mostly target accuracy and trigger control, but I always try to do a little of everything, point shooting etc. It seems everytime I do go down to the range, it's to show someone else how to shoot! I don't mind, but I spend more time helping them than practicing.
Old December 28, 2007, 03:21 PM   #23
ssilicon

60:40 Rec:Training
Old December 28, 2007, 03:34 PM   #24
fisherman66

It's all recreation until someone shows up next to me with a muzzlebrake. Only then do I bother with training.
Old December 28, 2007, 04:06 PM   #25
Samurai

If you train with the right mindset, then it should be 100% training and 100% recreation.

You should WANT to train. It's supposed to be fun.

- Why is it that we fire 1,000 rounds and know that we need more practice, but yet we punch a bag 10 times and think we know how to fight?

- When in doubt, train, train, train...