The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Closed Thread

Old December 2, 2007, 06:30 AM   #26
njtrigger

The old-fashioned police hat was designed so that the officer could be easily recognized in tough situations. Imagine a group of officers clearing out an area with weapons drawn and there is lots of adrenaline pumping. Its easier to recognize the bad guys from the good guys as the bad guys wont be wearing hats.

Also, in a crowd, the hatted officer is more easily recognized by citizens from a distance. From a distance, its difficult to figure out if thats an officer or just another guy in a black shirt. The hatted officer removes all doubt.
Old December 2, 2007, 10:06 PM   #27
Line Rider

"I remember when cops used to wear the old bus-driver caps. It didnt look "tough", but instead, professional. What happened to the bus-driver caps? Is it tactically bad to go bareback instead of looking like a bus-driver?

Most cops I see have shaved heads nowadays or wear a baseball hat like they are going to a game."

I'm in LE. 1)Those "bus driver" hats cost about $150.00. The hat is about $75.00 and the hat badge about $75.00. And the first time you get into a fight your hat is TRASHED. After about the third hat the chief has to pays that the end of that policy. 2) They look good but, they're useless and uncomfortable.
Old December 2, 2007, 10:50 PM   #28
CajunBass

I've never been a LEO, but I have been a uniformed security guard. We wore the "bus driver hat" and I hated it. Hot, uncomfortable, kept neither rain nor sun out of my face and downright silly looking IMHO. At least I didn't have to worry too much about having one on during any kind of altercation though.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old December 2, 2007, 11:21 PM   #29
Hook686

My view is that the hat, any hat, becomes like the empty shell cases that the officer killed in the 'Newhall' incident in California lost his life over .... he carefully collected his empties to place in his pocket. It was a habit, and a distraction that cost him his life. The hat can certainly do the same, if it blows off, slips to one side, causes rain, or wind to divert down the neck. Out of habit, concern for the hat might take precidence over personal well being ... paying attention to the possible lethal threat pending. I figure the fewer distractions, the better.

When the number of people in institutions reaches 51%, we change sides.
Old December 3, 2007, 12:04 AM   #30
chris in va

Quote:
The British Bobby hat is actually a "light" helmet. And it offers a degree of impact protection for the head
That's right, remember...handguns are outlawed in Britain so they're more likely to get hit with a bat or blunt object and need the helmet.
Old December 3, 2007, 01:16 AM   #31
theberettaman

Quote:
That's right, remember...handguns are outlawed in Britain so they're more likely to get hit with a bat or blunt object and need the helmet.
The bobby helmet predates the gun ban so how does that equate?
It has more to do with the stuffy habbit of class and social position that is still rampant in England.
Old December 3, 2007, 07:40 AM   #32
SteelJM1

So whats the story with the Mass state police and their Gestapo hats (or whole uniform for that matter)?
Old December 3, 2007, 07:41 AM   #33
chewie

Traditional police hats, regardless of what specific style, have been pretty much deemed tactically unsound. They are cumbersome and reduce your visibility, especially at night. They do look nice for ceremonies, parades, etc but have not much use day to day IMO. Unfortunately too many police chiefs are products of the 60's and 70's and like to hold onto traditions. Things are changing though.
Old December 3, 2007, 08:19 AM   #34

At our department....

We are ordered to wear our garrison hats only when the sun is up. Night shift does not have to wear it.

We are ordered to have short hair and barely any facial hair (trimmed stash only) if assigned to uniform duty.

We're ordered to wear ties with our long sleeve, and short sleeves.......year round.

Uniforms are still predominatly made of wool blend.

Still in high gloss duty gear.

Boots are polished to a high shine, again per general order.

Very old school, but it does make a difference in public perception. Other agencies nearby are not so strict, but there is a difference in the publics response to them.
Old December 4, 2007, 01:03 PM   #35
Long Path

Honestly, I have trouble keeping them up, and keeping up with them.

In our rural department, we can get away with cowboy hats, and I keep one in the car for working traffic. I even blogged on it once, HERE, and posted a picture.

I've a friend that's a cop, who swears he used to keep a derringer in his hat, but that sounds unstable; no way to secure it well.

For traffic and animal control, a hat is good to wave while hazing cattle and confused drivers (really, I hate to say it, but there's not that much difference, sometimes) to where you want 'em to go.

In heavy sun, they're mandatory with hot dark uniforms and vests.

Hats interfere with getting into and out of a car frequently, and project your movement around corners, over sills, etc. Big brims keep your face from walls.

Caps are easier to keep tucked in a patrol bag or on the back package tray. The brim is invaluable, sometimes, when you're watching an area that lies between you and the setting sun.
Old December 10, 2007, 11:22 PM   #36
Perldog007

I wore an eight point hat, major pain but I liked the look. Also carried an applewood baton with a spinning strap in left hand and took copious notes. I was broken in by old school Baltimore cops who had retired and gone to work for Amtrak.

Those guys and senior MPDC officers were my role models. Since I mostly worked nights sunshade was not an issue. It was an old school look entirely for appearance. In "action" it was the first thing to go.

I did keep flexi-cuffs in mine though. Came in handy once.

I can see where they should become relics. Uncomfortable and tactically unsound - but uniformed presence is the first step and a hat enhances that.

The hat is a relic of the peace officer. Now we have Law Enforcement.

The times are a' changing. Proud to be one of the last old school beat walkers.
Old December 10, 2007, 11:44 PM   #37
Manedwolf

The thing is, if you show even a little kid now a picture of a man in the octagon cap and old-style double-buttonrow coat with a Sam Browne belt, the little kid will say "police man."

That image is what's included on the big-button picture phones meant to let a kid call in an emergency.

It's persisted as a cultural icon, even as the real thing has faded into a more paramilitary look.
Old December 12, 2007, 05:23 PM   #38
Conn. Trooper

I dont wear my hat unless I will be out of the car for an extended period of time. Its tactically unsound to be trying to put your hat on while standing on the shoulder of I-95, or while a car full of potential bad guys is 20 feet in front of you. That being said, if you will be standing outside in public view for a long time, then wear your hat.
Old December 13, 2007, 06:29 PM   #39
obxned

Hat hair.

I'm a proud member of a North Carolina Committee of Safety
Old December 15, 2007, 09:41 PM   #40
Coop de Ville

It squeezes my head and gives me a headache!

-Coop
"If chance be the father of all flesh, disaster is his rainbow in the sky. And when you hear a 'state of emergencies, sniper kills ten, troops on rampage, whites go looting, bomb blasts school,' it is but the sound of man , worshipping his maker." - S. Turner
Old December 16, 2007, 01:11 AM   #41
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

Ooohkee dokey then. I think this one would do for Jay Leno's countdown of the "ten most popular reasons that cops hate hats". (He might even use it, given the writer's strike )

That said, I'm pretty sure this one's run its course.

Closed.

I train in earnest, to do the things that I pray in earnest, I'll never have to do.

--Capt. Charlie
Closed Thread