The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old July 7, 1999, 05:09 AM   #1
tuc22

I think I understand the popularity of Kydex holsters and mag pouches.I have kydex gear myself,it's rather new and has some appeal,however,does any body care that it's kinda noisy when gun clears "leather"? Also what's with the screws? Seems anything that has a screw is someday gonna have that screw fall out and then what?,your concealed pistol drops to the floor.Maybe these concerns are excessive but I think a good belt scabbard done in horsehide leather is quiet,100% reliable and conceals better.
Old July 7, 1999, 07:42 AM   #2
Rosco Benson

Kydex isn't for everyone, but it does have some attributes. It is water/sweat-proof, doesn't hold odors, and its natural stiffness allows an IWB holster made thereof to stay open for reholstering without extra layers of material or reinforcing bands. Its "memory" allows it to be molded so as to offer excellent retention qualities and, once "popped" past the retention molding, a smooth and friction-free draw.

It does make a bit of noise when the pistol is drawn and it is noisier if something strikes the holster. (On the plus side, the holster and belt do not "sqeak", a problem with some leather products). It is also a bit harder on the pistol's finish than is leather.

As to the issue of screws, Blade-Tech and others use screws to permit the user to adjust the holster's tension. Kydex holsters may be had, from MD Labs and others, which use rivets instead. Take your pick. I don't worry overly much about the screws coming undone. After all, the wheels on the car that I drive down the interstate are (shudder) BOLTED on.

I like and use both leather and kydex/concealex holsters. If the holster is properly designed and executed, the material it is made of is practically moot.

Rosco

Old July 7, 1999, 01:03 PM   #3
Sidearmor

Ditto to all the positive kydex attributes that Rosco already mentioned. Also, and I may be a bit biased in this,(we manufacture kydex holsters), I like the little "snick" noise that kydex holsters make.

tuc22, the way our holsters are designed, I really can't see a way that the screws will just fall out. We include tension screws in our holster designs because not everyone likes the same amount of drawing tension in their holster. An allen wrench is included with every holster we sell to allow the user to adjust tension to their personal preference.

------------------
www.sidearmor.net

Precision Crafted
Kydex Holsters

Old July 7, 1999, 06:16 PM   #4
Futo Inu

Sidearmor: I like the looks of your holsters. I have thought for awhile, though, that you would do well to tell visitors to your website whether the IWB model can be attached without removing one's belt (i.e. are the beltloops 100% enclosed, or can they slip onto the belt?). I infer from the site that the standard BS holster can definitely not be slipped on. Also, I cannot tell from the pictures whether the area of the holster in front of the muzzle is "open" (to allow barrels of longer length) or "closed". Thanks.
Old July 7, 1999, 06:53 PM   #5
Morgan

Sidearmor: When are you going to introduce non-Glock designs? Specifically, HK USP stuff? I checked out one of your holsters at my last IDPA match, and it looks great. When you introduce new designs be sure to post here... I'd certainly buy one.

Your non-Glockster, unpaid business consultant (ya get what ya pay for!) - Morgan
Old July 8, 1999, 08:40 AM   #6
joegerardi

Oh, Morgan: you don't know the can of worms you just opened. Don't get me started!!!
Old July 8, 1999, 11:26 AM   #7
Sidearmor

Futo,

The belt does need to be removed in to order to thread through the belt loops on the IWB. Yes, the area in front of the muzzle is open.

Morgan,

We will be doing HK in the future. Right now we are concentrating on completing the Glock line.

Now Joe, you behave.

------------------
www.sidearmor.net

Precision Crafted
Kydex Holsters

Old July 9, 1999, 05:42 AM   #8
blades67

Sidearmor - How much longer will I have to wait for a Left-handed IWB for a G19?
BTW, I could use a left-handed IWB for a P228 as well.

------------------
May your lead always hit center mass and your brass always land in your range bag.

~Blades~
Old July 9, 1999, 07:51 PM   #9
Sidearmor

blades,

We are working a left handed IWB for the Glock 26/27/33. After that we will start on one for the 29/30. The 19/23/32 will be next in line after those.

We will be doing holsters for Sigs but that will be sometime in the future.

------------------
www.sidearmor.net

Precision Crafted
Kydex Holsters

Old July 12, 1999, 09:53 AM   #10
joegerardi

Sidearmor:
See the price for producing a superior product?

Hey everyone: Ask them about the shoulder holster!!!

BOOLA, BOOLA! it doesn't get any better than this!!!
Old July 12, 1999, 03:33 PM   #11
Joe 543

Sidearmor, don't forget the SIG's. Especially the P226!

Joe
Old July 12, 1999, 04:55 PM   #12
Sidearmor

Joe 543,

We will definitely be doing Sigs. We have a P228 ourselves.

------------------
www.sidearmor.net

Precision Crafted
Kydex Holsters

Old July 12, 1999, 04:56 PM   #13
Sidearmor

Hey joegerardi,

We had a table at a gun show this past weekend and a few people asked about a shoulder holster. You must have some spies out here.

------------------
www.sidearmor.net

Precision Crafted
Kydex Holsters

Old July 13, 1999, 08:33 AM   #14
joegerardi

Sidearmor:
What about for the Jennings?
Old July 13, 1999, 08:34 AM   #15
joegerardi

Sidearmor:
What about for the Lorcins?