The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 17, 1999, 06:15 PM   #1
JJ

Does anyone have a line on a folding stock for an 870? Preferably something other than the ones in Brownells, i.e. rampart, choate.
Watch your six!
Old January 17, 1999, 07:20 PM   #2
4V50 Gary
Staff

Remingtons still sells their folding metal stocks; except only to LEO. If you've got a cop buddy who'd help you out, that's your ticket.

BTW, I took the Rem. folder off mine. Hated the way the pistol grip pounded the daylights out of the web of my hand (so I'm a wimp) when I shot slugs. I also disliked the cold metal against the cheek and the third dislike was the square metal buttplate. God does it hurt (so I'm a wimp again) when I shouldered it for slugs. Since then, the stock has been replaced with a Speedfeed that carries four extra shells. I can shoot slugs all day and go home without having to soak in the tub.
Old January 17, 1999, 10:56 PM   #3
Dakota Law Dog

IMHO, unless you have a real need for a compact folding shotgun, don't get one. I use a Choate pistol grip full stock on my 870, and it is great. I have fired the Remington folding stock, and the metal stock will bite your cheek, and if you haven't mounted the shotgun properly, it willl bite you bad and leave a crescent scar on your cheek. I've used the Choate stock on Mossbergs, too, with excellent results. If you just want pistol grips, get Adventurer's Outpost (I think that's the name) or I think Tac-Star? I'll have to look. Same company makes the side saddle, which I also think should be standard equipment on a combat shotgun.