The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old March 3, 2015, 03:46 PM   #1
cowboys1062

bore butter or not

For the past 7 years I have been using bore butter in my muzzleloaders after cleaning and during storage. I cant count how many posts I have read about using bore butter. They seem to fall into two groups. One group swears by it and stated that they have been using the stuff for years with no problems noted. The other group would say that bore butter is not a good rust preventive,and on a couple occasions cleaned the bore butter out of their muzzleloaders and found a thin rust film building up in the bore. Im not talking as patch lube but as a long term storage bore protective. The cons on what I heard made me clean out all the bore butter out of my bores and use Birchwood Casey gun oil and rust preventitive. Personaly I never had a problem with bore butter but some claiming that they found rust in their bores after using it kinda scared me off. All of you have been shooting alot longer than I have and of course have your own opinions. I would like to know what your thoughts are on the matter. Remember " Long Term Storage " Respectfully, cowboys 1062.
Old March 3, 2015, 04:25 PM   #2
Pahoo

Bore-Butter has it's limits.

Quote:
One group swears by it and stated that they have been using the stuff for years with no problems noted.
This is a true statement and if it works for that group, so be it. I have been using Bore-Butter for years and do recommend it for the right service.

Quote:
The other group would say that bore butter is not a good rust preventive, and on a couple occasions cleaned the bore butter out of their muzzleloaders and found a thin rust film building up in the bore.
By my measure, this is also a true statement but keep in mind that some if not all of that rust, came from residual moisture, from the initial cleaning.

Quote:
I'm not talking as patch lube but as a long term storage bore protective.
Regardless of how I clean, I do not trust Bore-Butter for long term storage. There are better choices, out there and I hope I did not add to the confusion. .....

Be Safe !!!

Last edited by Pahoo; March 3, 2015 at 04:48 PM.
Old March 3, 2015, 04:31 PM   #3
Doyle

I've never found a need for it at all. I don't patch so that need is moot. For protectant, nothing wrong with using good old petroleum based stuff (CLP).
Old March 3, 2015, 06:12 PM   #4
Snyper

Bore Butter is vegetable oil, beeswax, and Oil of Wintergreen

It's a passable bullet lube and not much more
Old March 3, 2015, 07:17 PM   #5
mehavey

Quote:
" Long Term Storage "
While I've been known to leave my [smokeless] cast-bullet long guns uncleaned during a season,
it's because the bullet lube is 50/50 Beeswax/ALOX** ... not Beeswax/Olive Oil.

Get/Use a good metal preservative deliberately designed as such -- aka BreakFree, Weapon Shield,
RemOil, etc. [Bona Fides: a combined baker's dozen BP weapons. ]

**(Autobody undercoating)
Old March 3, 2015, 07:28 PM   #6
campingnights

You might want to consider Fireclean. Nontoxic and specifically states good for use on black powder too. I love the stuff.

My wife told me that I can't have too many guns, I agreed and told her I can never have too many guns...and then the trouble began
Old March 3, 2015, 08:33 PM   #7
Hawg

I bought a lot of bore butter years ago at a clearance sale. I'm still using it and it works but I wont pay full price for any more of it.
Old March 4, 2015, 07:39 AM   #8
cowboys1062

Bore butter

I think for now Im going to leave bore butter out of my bores and stick to using Birchwood Cacy Gun oil and rust preventive for long term storage, and will check the bores at least once a month. Respectfully, cowboys 1062.
Old March 4, 2015, 07:44 AM   #9
mehavey

Standard "...Gun oil and rust preventive ..." You won't be sorry.
Black powder weapons -- simply cleaned w/ soap & water and put away
w/ just normal CLP gun lubes -- are left in better shape than most people
leave their modern smokeless arms.
Old March 4, 2015, 07:27 PM   #10
North East Redneck

I use it, and like it. Bore Butter is fine for short term storage and as a lube. For long term storage, use a product designed for protecting metal from oxidation.
Old March 5, 2015, 09:15 AM   #11
45 Dragoon

Yep,
If ya mix a tube of graphite with it, it makes a pretty good non-petroleum "graphite grease".

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com
Old March 6, 2015, 10:51 AM   #12
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Never cared for Thompson bore melt (aka bore butter.) Odor and propensity to turn to near liquid at 80 degree's did nothing but antagonize my effort to enjoy a lovely day of shooting. So without little hesitation I switched to Ox-Yoke's Wonderlube. That heavily scented wintergreen concoction was a tad better in the heat to keep its intended form but plugged my sinuses due to its nasty smell also. So I decided to do some on-line research. I found that at one time there was a product marketed that had (all) the characteristics I was looking for in a patch lube. A bottled Lube & cleaner and one noteally very effective at preventing corrosion. LeHigh Valley Patch Lube the Trifecta of patch lubes. So I was told. _Unfortunately it was discontinued. _ I received a Tip from a friend and Traditionalist shooter stating that a very near duplicate product was now marketed._ Shanandoah Valley Black Powder Cleaning Solvent and Patch Lubricant. What a welcomed improvement over all those greasy and other oily patching liquids.
I now can shoot repetitive shots without swabbing my barrel and it seems to keep my barrels crud softened. No doubt about that. Cleaning up after a days shooting has been a breeze too, and as advertized its proven to me to be a excellent rust preventative also.

Here are a few home-made recipes I've tried myself. Moose Milk one's for those interested. And a smear on lubricant without that horrible Wintergreen scent oh so many have grown fond of.

Olive Oil & Bees wax - Mix olive oil into melted bees wax in small amounts. You want your patch lube to be a little stiffer than Crisco, but not to the point where a purposely flexed patch shows the "cracked lube look."

Moose Milk: Your typical 1 oz Shot Glass is handy for this one.
1 shot: of water soluble oil "Ballistol"
1 shot: of Pinesol.
2 shots: hydrogen peroxide - 3% solution.
20 shots: of H-2/O _water.
When weather turns very cold to the freezing point, you can add 2 shots of Alcohol to your mix to help prevent it from freezing.

Recipe for another form of moose milk:

Castor Oil 4 oz.
Murphy's Oil Soap 1 oz.
Witch Hazel 4 oz.
Isopropyl Alcohol (91%) 8 oz.
Bottled Water (non-chlorinated) 16 oz

http://www.ctmuzzleloaders.com/ctml_...corrosion.html
Old March 6, 2015, 05:24 PM   #13
Howard31

Bore Butter

I would not use it for long term because it dries out and leaves a soapy scum like residue.
Like McGee , at 80 degrees you can't keep it in the tube and at 60 degrees you can't get it out of the tube .
I only used it in Cap & Ball Revolvers.