The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old October 14, 2012, 12:09 PM   #101
PT-92

[QUOTE]
Sparks1957

Quote:
You are entitled to that opinion. I happen to believe that I have MY priorities sorted out just fine, and I still don't believe in loaning my guns out.

You may do as you wish with yours.
Ditto to that!
Old October 14, 2012, 02:55 PM   #102
Jammer Six

Quote:
Then I would tend to blame YOU for your choice of 'friend", and loaning it to somebody in the first place who never even owned one in his life.
Pure anti-logic.
Old October 14, 2012, 08:06 PM   #103
Jbar4Ranch

I've loaned out guns "long term" three times in my life. One came back in perfect condition after hunting season, and he had even killed an elk with it. The second one never did come back, a Charter Arms Undercover .38 spl. The third one, a .45 single action, came back needing some minor repairs to the pawl, but that was due to a "temporary repair" I had made to it a few years earlier that finally gave way.

I probably won't do it again.

SASS 47015
Old October 15, 2012, 08:47 AM   #104
45_auto

Loaning guns can create problems.

A friend of mine, an old English gentlemen who had been over here in the US working in the aerospace industry since the 1970's, had a passion for first generation Colt single actions. He collected them way before they became popular. He never was much into shooting, just collecting.

I used to loan him a gun whenever he wanted to go shooting. His stuff was too nice to shoot. He got interested in Colt 1911's because of me, he had an AD while practicing mag changes in his house one night and shot his shower pipe.

He recently passed away and left me his collection of Colts. Now I have to decide what to do with over 50 pristine first gen single actions. I wouldn't have had this problem if I hadn't loaned him any guns.

RIP John!
Old October 15, 2012, 08:53 AM   #105
drail

I never loan guns. I never loan tools. And I don't rent pigs. If you do any of these things it is only a matter of time before someone takes advantage of your kindness and walks away laughing. At your expense.
Old October 15, 2012, 10:54 AM   #106
PT-92

Quote:
45_auto
...Now I have to decide what to do with over 50 pristine first gen single actions. I wouldn't have had this problem if I hadn't loaned him any guns...
Problem? What Problem...? I dream of your "kind" of problem !
Old October 15, 2012, 12:07 PM   #107
imp

Seems I am in the minority. I loaned a friend of mine a pistol so that he could qualify for his ccw, no problem. I loaned a .45 to my brother in law 3 years ago, and he still has it. Glad he has something to protect my sister and nephews with. I don't expect to see that one again, but that's OK. I never had a problem with it, because I know they are men of good character. But, I would also loan or give them anything I could. To me its not a matter of what I'm loaning, but who I'm loaning to.
Old October 16, 2012, 09:32 AM   #108
StainlessSteel215

I barely allow my buddy to shoot my guns when we visit the range together....while Im standing next to him!

Lots can go wrong in a lending scenario I suppose. I would never do it.
Old October 16, 2012, 06:34 PM   #109
langenc

So owning an item that a crime was committed with!!

So loaning the pickup aint bad cause the guy was just speeding.

I agree there are many that I wouldnt loan to and in MI we have some 'infringements' that dont allow one to loan a handgun.

It dont matter what you are loaning but who!! is doing the borrowing. There are those that I wouldnt let shoot/drive, let alone borrow.
Old October 17, 2012, 09:23 PM   #110
insomni

I let my friends borrow my guns when I'm at the range shooting with them.
They extend the same courtesy to me.

the exchange rate is 1st mag is a freebie from the owner, each additional mag costs a beer to be paid by the end of the weekend. This cost can be avoided if the borrower brings his own ammo. Occasionally we'll do one for one trades on mags.
Old October 18, 2012, 06:30 PM   #111
joyrock

All I can say is, WOW. I read all of them. Thanks!!
I did not know this was touchy subject, but thanks for all the reply's!

PT-92: Yes the world we live in, is not the world 30 years ago.
Quite amazing in fact.

NO-BODY: Your son did that? I'm sorry.
Old October 18, 2012, 07:00 PM   #112
Jammer Six

I wouldn't say it's the subject, I would say it's the people.

The subject is simple.
Old October 18, 2012, 07:28 PM   #113
ritepath

No problem with a select few people I know and see everyday. As long as they promise not to clean it before giving it back.

That list would include several of my co-workers, friends, and neighbors. Then again I've never had anyone ask to "borrow" one of mine.
Old October 19, 2012, 01:41 AM   #114
Larry68

I don't loan guns, tools or books. I once loaned my neighbor a nice carpenters level and it came back all scratched up. I grew up in a dirt poor family and money was scarce. When something broke, we had to fix it ourselves because there wasn't money to pay someone to fix it for us. Me and my sisters learned to treat our things nice because they were all we had. I worked summers for neighbor farmers chopping cotton and picking cotton and bucking hay (loading hay bales by hand on a trailer. those things are HEAVY for a skinny 14 year old)

My grandson recently asked to borrow my 30-30 and I had to sadly, regretfully say no because he is careless with guns and tools. He borrowed some tools about a year ago and I never got half of them back because he lost them and around that time, he borrowed my bolt action single shot .22 rifle and several weeks later I had to ask for it back. He had been keeping it in the trunk of his car and the barrel had measles-like rust spots all over it. We were deer hunting once and he was using my
winchester 30-30 to hunt with. I turned around once and caught him trying to twerl it like some hollywood cowboy or something. I don't trust him to treat it right. I recently put a rear peep sight on it thats kinda delicate. In short, the kid (he's in his 20's) is ham handed. I'll let him or anybody else shoot it at the range-if Im there too.

On a different topic, I had a waitress call me picky once. I told her that it was my money I was paying for the meal with. "He who pays the piper has the right to call the tune."
Old October 23, 2012, 10:00 AM   #115
publius

Don't loan out my guns or my boat, except for my brothers and 1 friend. Don't think they have ever asked to borrow either, they have their own stuff. I would never ask someone to borrow theirs either. I have, many times, invited a friend to come out to the farm and bring one of their guns with them that I want to shoot.
Old October 24, 2012, 03:43 AM   #116
mj246

Quote:
To me its not a matter of what I'm loaning, but who I'm loaning to
--imp
This is how I feel. There are only a few conditions that must be met for me to feel comfortable lending a firearm to someone.
1) I know them well and completely trust them to use and care for it properly
2) They agree from the start to replace or repair it should something go wrong
3) It is not a gun I currently need, have great sentimental attachment to, or is not readily replaceable if necessary.

Now granted, the only person I can think of off the top of my head that fulfills criteria #1 is my brother, but I would be perfectly willing to lend out my "unnecessary" guns to other close friends/family should they convince me of their ability to properly use and care for them.
Old October 24, 2012, 04:09 AM   #117
tristar viper

I won't let most anybody borrow most anything I have anymore, guns on the top of that list. People don't respect your stuff, and stuff usually comes back in a lesser condition than when you left them have it, if it (whatever it may be) comes back at all. It isn't hard for me to tell even close friends "NO".
Old October 24, 2012, 04:20 AM   #118
youngunz4life

at least the second one

collateral

signed document
Old October 24, 2012, 08:29 AM   #119
darkgael

Nope

There is a difference between letting someone shoot a firearm that I own....at the range or when hunting ...and loaning one out for them to take away with them. I will not do the loan. Even when I gave my sons some of my rifles, we did the transfers so that the guns were in their names. Not quite loaning out.
I was touched by this earlier statement:

Quote:
n the other hand, if my friends CCW is in the shop and he asks to borrow a gun from me until his gets back, and I say no,and he is shot to death by a car jacker..........?
Not your fault nor your responsibility. Your friend would have been very unlucky but the fault would be the criminal's. Fortunately, that idea is in the subjunctive (if)...
(Certainly possible, though. Just yesterday on the Cross Island Parkway here in NYC, a very bad guy shot and killed a police officer and then shot an innocent driver to death and hijacked his car.
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/24/ny...rder.html?_r=0)
Old October 24, 2012, 09:10 AM   #120
BLUETIP

My step father wanted to, long term borrow a hand gun for hd, i said did all the gun shops close where you live?
Old October 26, 2012, 07:34 PM   #121
chrisbarcelo

Nope, they can borrow my computer, my car but not my guns.
Old October 26, 2012, 07:50 PM   #122
Hawg

When I was 15 I loaned two rifles to my best friend so he and another guy could go hunting over the weekend. That Sat. he moved to another state taking my guns with him. I never saw him or my rifles again. Never again will I loan a gun out unless I go with it.
Old October 26, 2012, 09:49 PM   #123
SIGSHR

Old Soldier that I am, I don't loan "sensitive" items.
Old October 26, 2012, 11:11 PM   #124
McClintock

Didn't see any other Canadians post a reply, so I thought I'd weigh in. North of the 49th, the laws are a bit more... restrictive, shall we say.

In order to own firearms, you must have a firearms license (called a Possession and Acquisition License), which requires taking a firearm safety course from a certified instructor. Once you have the PAL, you can legally borrow what we call "non-restricted firearms" (long guns). No license, no borrowing firearms. Period.

Long guns I would loan to my family members and a very few select friends who have firearms licenses, and who I trust implicitly.

"Restricted firearms" (handguns) are registered to a single person (in some cases, joint possession is possible if you live in the same house, i.e. father and son), and if it's not registered to you, you cannot legally store it at your house, or even transport it (you have another document called an Authorization To Transport, or ATT, that allows you to transport restricted firearms (handguns) to and from certified ranges). So, you cannot legally loan a handgun to someone to take home with them, Big Legal Trouble if you do so and get caught.

That being said, at the range, my brothers, dad, and a few very select friends whom I trust implicitly, can shoot my handguns at the range (when of course I am there with them, as I had to transport them there in the first place).

Cheers!
McClintock
Old October 26, 2012, 11:22 PM   #125
Noreaster

I learned the hard way and I'll never loan out another firearm to anyone. Twenty years ago my best friend, solid guy, did something very stupid with the handgun I let him borrow. Luckily no one was hurt and no one found out. I never would have expected it from him.