The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 6, 2012, 11:56 AM   #1
sigcurious

Shotgun Guide?

Does anyone have a link to a good guide(s) about shotguns? Just trying to learn a bit more about them in general, but don't know enough yet to know if the resources I've found are worthwhile.
Old September 6, 2012, 11:59 AM   #2
BigJimP

for Tactical....

for bird hunting ...?

for clay target shooting ....( or for Skeet, Trap, 5 Stand or Sporting Clays to be more specific -- if for only one game ? )
Old September 6, 2012, 12:05 PM   #3
sigcurious

I was hoping for resources covering all the types. I'm not looking to purchase, so I have no specific use in mind. I just want to learn more about shotguns in general.
Old September 6, 2012, 12:15 PM   #4
Carne Frio

Here is a link, as you requested. The home
page is in the upper left corner. I like the
tactical section.
http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewforum.php?f=7
Old September 6, 2012, 12:59 PM   #5
sigcurious

Thanks, that will give me quite a bit of reading. So far the new shotgunners stickies have been a great starting place for learning more of the shotgun specific parts and terminology.
Old September 6, 2012, 01:43 PM   #6
BigJimP

Digging around in the forum ....on questions of general interest on shotguns / just like on the handgun side....will give you a lot of background info too.

especially on any threads....that concern issues like:

a. " why one gague over another"

b. " how to pick a clay target gun "

c. " Fit" issues..../ because on shotguns we have no rear sights for the most part....so how a gun fits / because as we mount the gun - our eye becomes the Rear Sight....makes "Fit" - so the gun hits where you look - a really big deal. Its a complex issue...

d. "reloading issues" on shotshells..if you want to get into that part of the hobby ...

e. What is a "general purpose shotgun", vs a "Trap gun" ...

some links like this ....

http://www.hamiltontrapclub.com/htc/Fundamentals/go

on Trap shooting specifically ....
http://traphof.org/General-Informati...w-shooter.html

on Skeet shooting..
http://bendershima.com/?cat=3

lots of stuff out there..../ and if I can help you specifically drop me a personal note.
Old September 6, 2012, 01:56 PM   #7
sigcurious

The forum and I don't get along when it comes to searching hehe. I never seem to be able to come up with the right set of search terms to bring up the results that are useful.

Thanks for those links though, the more info I can digest from sources deemed credible by those proficient in shotguns the easier it will be for me to sort through the information on my own as I come across it.

I don't have enough time/funds atm to take on another aspect of firearms(shotguns) in practice, but I figure information is free, so I might as well get as much of that as possible.
Old September 6, 2012, 03:56 PM   #8
BigJimP

I agree - the search engines leave a lot to be desired...

but adding shotguns to your hobby ...I think is a good thing / you don't need to spend a lot of money on a shotgun ...most any decent pump shotgun in a 12ga, with changeable screw in chokes and in a 28" barrel ...can be used for all of the clay target games....( guns like the Remington 870 pump - and they make a lot of versions from $ 150 - $ 600 / or the Browning BPS Hunter model selling for around $500 is a good premium pump gun).

A lot of us used pump guns to shoot clays..especially Trap ...for many years.

But just like in handguns...there is more to it....
a. cost of targets at many clubs is about $ 6 for 25 ...( a round of skeet or Trap is 25 targets).
b. a box of shells ..12ga or 20ga are about $ 6 - $ 7 ...
c. and the cost of your gun....

many of us go to our local clubs ...and shoot 4 rounds of skeet, etc as a good afternoon for fun .../ you don't have to shoot 10 rounds to have fun...

and the cost of your gun ....is going to be the lease expensive thing you'll pay for long term...in the clay target games.

Tactical is different.../but a lot of us into shotguns in a big way ...have nothing to do with tactical shotguns...we rely on our handguns for that stuff / and our shotguns for fun. But a "Fighting" shotgun ...and a "Defensive shotgun" are very different beasts....I can use any shotgun I own...a semi-auto with a 30" barrel, an Over Under with 28" barrels, or a pump gun with 28" barrels for defense..although it may not be optimum for a "Fighting shotgun" ...I have no need for a "fighting shotgun"...that's what my variety of Sig Suers, my S&W revolers, or my 1911's are for....

On the other hand ...if you want a Tactical shotgun...mossberg 500??, remington 870's, Benelli (like the M-4), etc ....all make good Tactical shotguns ...and some guys love em....

so there are a lot of aspects to this "Shotgun" side....of this gun hobby...

Have fun with it ....no matter what you end up doing !
Old September 6, 2012, 05:26 PM   #9
BigJimP

here is a link from our buddy on the forum TheKlawMan....

this will give you a lot of info on Fit, etc....

http://www.herosarms.com/Selecting.htm
Old September 6, 2012, 05:34 PM   #10
sigcurious

Thanks! I really wish all my funds were not stuck in paying for going back to school at the moment. The more I read about the various shotgun disciplines the more I want to try some.
Old September 6, 2012, 06:02 PM   #11
BigJimP

and pretty soon ...you'll be like the rest of us ......

http://thefiringline.com/forums/atta...1&d=1339792349
Some of my Browning Citori XS skeet models ....12ga, 20ga, 28ga and .410..
---all in 30" barrels.. ( the top one, the 12ga - is coming up on 500,000 shells now ...and still like new almost).

http://thefiringline.com/forums/atta...3&d=1339792349
a pair of my Trap guns ...both Browning Citori XT Trap models 32" barrels..
--------------
a man just cannot live with only one Sig Sauer ...or one shotgun per gague...( ask my wife, she knows I'm an idiot )...

but seriously, all in good time.../ I wasn't buying guns like this when I was still raising a family either...I shot this old Browning BPS for many years...

http://thefiringline.com/forums/atta...4&d=1236031619

here are the Browning BPS Hunter models I bougth in the late 1970's ...in 12ga and 20ga ...and I still have them / after who know how many thousands of shells thru them ...and 2 adult boys now....and 3 or 4 grandkids too...

Take your time....shop used ...it'll all work out !!
Old September 6, 2012, 07:45 PM   #12
Virginian

Books:
Bob Brister's "Shotgunning, The Art and the Science"
Don Zutz - "The Double Shotgun"
Jack O'Connor's - "Shotgun"
And a bunch of others. Go to the library - yes they still exist - and look, or do an internet search and do a lot of reading. You Tube videos of teenagers blowing up watermelons I do not find very beneficial. YEMV. Good luck.
Old September 6, 2012, 07:57 PM   #13
sigcurious

I'll have to check out those books if I'm by the library anytime soon.

That's not nice BigJimP...you're making me want to run out and buy a shotgun!

I may have to bump up a shotgun on my buying list for this winter when I allow myself more fun purchases.
Old September 6, 2012, 09:24 PM   #14
dalecooper51

When I discovered how much fun moving targets were, I all but forgot about pistol and rifle shooting. Seeing how small of a group I could get is like watching paint dry compared to a round of sporting clays.

My favorite shotgun book is Skeet Shooting with D. Lee Braun. It is long out of print and specific to skeet, but the lessons can be applied elsewhere.
Old September 7, 2012, 11:41 AM   #15
olddrum1

"for Tactical....

for bird hunting ...?

for clay target shooting ....( or for Skeet, Trap, 5 Stand or Sporting Clays to be more specific -- if for only one game "

And the answer is 870
Old September 9, 2012, 10:32 PM   #16
rugerfreak

Here's a good start:

http://www.remington.com/~/media/Fil...s/shotgun.ashx
Old September 11, 2012, 11:22 PM   #17
sigcurious

Thanks!