The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old May 17, 2016, 03:15 PM   #1
SouthernMan227

FN Scar 17S or DPMS GII SASS

I've seen multiple threads as well as pros and cons on both firearms. Let me know your thoughts and why you believe one is better than the other. DPMS has been remodeled and redesigned by Remington now and seems to be a really good option. I've seen the DPMS put through the test by James Yeager on Youtube and I've seen them both compared by 13C Gun Reviews channel on Youtube and feel that the DPMS is really good.

I was told that the Remington warranty now on guns is crap? Can anyone provide some experience with their warranty?

If you have a better model .308 semi auto in the same price range post it and tell me why it's better. Throw me pictures of your setup and tell me what you would add or take away from yours if you purchased.

We all love a good ol' my gun is better thread
Old May 18, 2016, 12:34 PM   #2
RiponP90

I have a buddy with a SCAR and I used to own a DPMS SASS. Both are AMAZING rifles. I'm going to have to go with the DPMS only because that company has a special place in my heart. The SCAR is by far more tactical and modifiable, but the DPMS is just one outstanding rifle. They are two fairly different platforms.

For myself, I don't like the reciprocating charging handle of the SCAR although it does make it easier to charge from a bolt forward position. It is also a bit heavier especially if you get the rail extension from Midwest Industries.
Old May 18, 2016, 03:51 PM   #3
SouthernMan227

The reciprocating charging handle is the main thing that i did dislike on the SCAR as i feel it sticks out to far and could possibly be caught on something if in tight quarters.

have you ever had any issues when shooting your DPMS and did you shoot it often?
Old May 19, 2016, 05:59 PM   #4
lovethosesooners

I have an M&P 10, which I believe is a great AR10 type rifle as well as a Scar....
Like both of them a BUNCH, but consider the DPMS and Scar a bit of apples and oranges comparison in terms of:
-cost
-piston vs direct impingement (2 each their own, but I DEFINITELY prefer a good piston gun to DI....I'm picky about cleaning my guns, and the difference between these is BIG)
-weights actually similar as they're both light for a 308
-design (Scar is very easy to break down and clean, much more so IMO than a DI gun)
-features (folding stock, cheek riser, reciprocating charging handle which to ME is a definite benefit)

There are many that believe the Scar is the best overall .308 on the market-I agree to the point that I liked the 17 so well that I bought a 16 as well-they are among if not my outright favorites.
-
Old May 20, 2016, 03:35 AM   #5
SouthernMan227

what is the benefit to having the reciprocating charging handle?
Old May 20, 2016, 07:23 AM   #6
lovethosesooners

The benefit of the reciprocating handle is it's much easier to access than a charging handle at the back of the receiver-since it's attached to the bolt, it also eliminates the need for a forward charging handle and can be easily moved from the left side to the right.

Some complain about getting their thumb whacked, but I find it very easy NOT too by simply not putting my thumb where it is in the way

I forgot another big benefit of the piston vs. DI argument, which is the piston runs much cooler-the flip side is that they do add what to me is a small amount of weight versus the DI (but again, the Scar is a lightweight rifle for a .308).
Old May 25, 2016, 02:11 PM   #7
SouthernMan227

Lets see pictures of your FN Scar Modifications everyone.
Old May 25, 2016, 06:58 PM   #8
RiponP90

Sorry, I for some reason didn't have notifications on. No, I never had any issues with the DPMS. I was running Pmags and of course brass case though. It ran like a charm for me!

Tags
.308 , ar-10 , comparison , dpms 308 , scar 17