The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 6, 2019, 12:30 PM   #1
HighValleyRanch

Smith M&P ShieldX & 48

With all the hubbub about the new Glock 43X and the 48, what about us Shield fans?

X format
Until Smith comes out with the same formats as Glock, here are some remedies!
The Samsom Magwell turns the Shield into the long grip version as the X format.
It intergrates seamlessly with the grip. The photo is of my carry pistol with the Samson magwell and a 8 round magazine with magguts plus 2 yielding a ten +1 round Shield. You can also use the flush 8 round magazine with +1 magguts for a total 9+1 combo that is sleek looking.
======================

Glock 48 format
For the extended barrel version of the Shield, you can go with the Shield Arms extended slide and barrel combo. This photo if not mine, but an example of how it looks. Not cheap, but at least possible. They supply the extended slide and barrel. Because of some name conflicts, they are going to produce this under another name," Slide Blanks" and are in the process of switching over, but plan to do so soon.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 0000202_smith-wesson-mp-shield-425-long-slide-kit.jpeg (193.1 KB, 405 views)
File Type: jpg DSC05744.JPG (221.4 KB, 423 views)
Old February 6, 2019, 01:15 PM   #2
IdaD

I carry my Shield with the flush mag and feel fine with 8+8 of 9mm on me, and I find that it conceals better with the shorter grip. If I want to go bigger I'd rather carry my 2.0C and go full double stack rather than modifying my Shield.

I feel the same way about the Glocks - I'd rather have a 43 and 19 combo than a 43x or 48.
Old February 6, 2019, 06:45 PM   #3
Spats McGee
Staff

I love my Shield, but must admit that the G48 has me tempted.
Old February 7, 2019, 08:53 AM   #4
Spats McGee
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighValleyRanch View Post

Glock 48 format
For the extended barrel version of the Shield, you can go with the Shield Arms extended slide and barrel combo. This photo if not mine, but an example of how it looks. Not cheap, but at least possible. They supply the extended slide and barrel. Because of some name conflicts, they are going to produce this under another name," Slide Blanks" and are in the process of switching over, but plan to do so soon.
This looks interesting to me, but I looked at the Shield Arms website, and can't find it. Are they not making them anymore?
Old February 7, 2019, 09:46 AM   #5
HighValleyRanch

I contacted them by email. They had to stop production because the "shield arms" name was too close to M&P Shield. So they discontinued production and will be producing them under "Slide Blanks". They are in the iterim of changing over, but hope to get back into production soon. The cost for the slide and barrel is around 490.00! BUt at least it is a cool option. The customer has the choice of threaded or non thread barrel.

They also make similar slide and barrel for the Sig 365, and will continue to produce those under the "Shield Arms" name.
Old February 8, 2019, 05:19 AM   #6
Spats McGee
Staff

Quote:
I contacted them by email. They had to stop production because the "shield arms" name was too close to M&P Shield. So they discontinued production and will be producing them under "Slide Blanks". They are in the iterim of changing over, but hope to get back into production soon.
Good to know. Thanks.

Quote:
The cost for the slide and barrel is around 490.00! BUt at least it is a cool option. The customer has the choice of threaded or non thread barrel. . . . .
Ouch! It's cool, but I don't think it's $490 cool!
Old February 8, 2019, 01:54 PM   #7
O4L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spats McGee View Post
I love my Shield, but must admit that the G48 has me tempted.
I'm a little tempted by the G48 but I've always been happy with the Shield and at $250 for a new Shield I won't be "needing" a G48 anytime soon.
Old February 9, 2019, 01:41 PM   #8
HighValleyRanch

Just redid the grip with a full fine stipple to go with the magwell.
Much cleaner look.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC05749.JPG (224.9 KB, 237 views)
Old February 9, 2019, 03:51 PM   #9
TunnelRat

That looks good, nice job.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Old February 9, 2019, 04:16 PM   #10
HighValleyRanch

Thanks! It feels great too.