The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old December 12, 2017, 08:37 PM   #26
FrankenMauser

The ridiculous collections in my family, and aspirations of dangerous game hunting in Africa by said owners, have allowed me to play with a half a dozen or so suitable cartridges and maybe twice as many rifles.

While my father's .450 Nitro double would be "fun" to take and use, it wouldn't be my first choice.
Plenty of .458 WMs have been passed around. Decent enough.
But I'd be looking at .416 Rigby. Great performer. Easier to deal with than .416 Remington, and you can (where legal) actually obtain ammunition in-country if needed.

For plains game, I'd grab the best .300 WM or .338 WM that I had, and run with it. Good bullets and knowing the rifle and load well are all that's needed.
I believe my father actually managed to talk the PH into allowing a .243 Win for warthog on his last trip for plains game, but I cannot recall if it was actually fired (I think a .270 Win was already out for the "small stuff", and used by default).
Old December 13, 2017, 06:29 AM   #27
105kw

What about a .416 Ruger? About the same energy as the Rigby in a shorter rifle.
Old December 13, 2017, 07:11 AM   #28
BBarn

I saw Finn Aagaard mentioned in one of the above posts. He grew up in Kenya and was a professional hunter there for many years. His recommendation to hunters was to bring a scoped 375. He said the typical hunter could shoot that better than the bigger bore guns. He was OK with the bigger ones if they could shoot them well. Between himself and those who borrowed it, his 375 was used to kill 48 buffalo. He seemed to have a fondness for the 416 Rem Mag as well and thought it an excellent choice for those who could shoot it effectively.

That was back in the early '90s. Mr Aagaard died in 2000.

Added later: For lesser game not needing the big stuff, Aagaard said those who used calibers in the .270 to 30-06 range seemed to be the most successful. He said many of those bringing 300 Mags couldn't shoot them well enough. Where he hunted most shots on plains game were under 300 yds.

Last edited by BBarn; December 13, 2017 at 07:33 AM.
Old December 13, 2017, 10:10 AM   #29
Stats Shooter

Quote:
I saw Finn Aagaard mentioned in one of the above posts. He grew up in Kenya and was a professional hunter there for many years. His recommendation to hunters was to bring a scoped 375. He said the typical hunter could shoot that better than the bigger bore guns. He was OK with the bigger ones if they could shoot them well. Between himself and those who borrowed it, his 375 was used to kill 48 buffalo. He seemed to have a fondness for the 416 Rem Mag as well and thought it an excellent choice for those who could shoot it effectively.

That was back in the early '90s. Mr Aagaard died in 2000.

Added later: For lesser game not needing the big stuff, Aagaard said those who used calibers in the .270 to 30-06 range seemed to be the most successful. He said many of those bringing 300 Mags couldn't shoot them well enough. Where he hunted most shots on plains game were under 300 yds.
I actually believe I could just use my .300wm and borrow my brothers .375HH and not spend another dime. Or use my 45-70. But the search is part of the fun, and load development is one of my favorite pastimes.

I have been shooting a .300 win mag since I was 14 years old....I have an F-Class .300wm, a Model 70 Super Grade .300wm and my original Savage 110F .300wm. In other words, my ability to handle one isn't an issue.

But, again, I love the search....but practically speaking, the .416 Remington/Rigby are hard to beat as they are plenty of gun and not difficult to find ammo for. The .416 Ruger is interesting, but I am afraid if something happens while I am in country, I may not be able to find ammo where .416 Remington/Rigby ammo will be easy enough to come by according the African fellas who are setting me up. They said in an email last night that the .416 Ruger isn't very prevalent down there. But Rigby and Remington IS VERY prevalent.
Old December 13, 2017, 12:32 PM   #30
black mamba

The one advantage the 416s have over the 458 is that you can use the one rifle for everything, plains game included. With the proper 300 gr bullet the trajectory is almost identical to a 30-06, so easily a 300 yd rifle.
Old December 13, 2017, 05:21 PM   #31
Stats Shooter

Ok then....if I'm going 416 Remington/Rigby. Go with a Model 70 Safari? CZ550? Weatherby mk V? Montana Rifle? Ruger M77

Ruger #1's and 3's are nice but I don't think I want a single shot
Old December 13, 2017, 09:57 PM   #32
agtman

.404 Jeffery.

The classic "magazine rifle" cartridge for dangerous African game. (Obligatory pic attached). Read up on it.

Historic, venerable, deadly. The 404 Jeff has taken down countless elephants, lions, leopards, rhino, and water buffalo.

Perhaps its chief virtue is that it imparts the least felt-recoil of the various .40-magnum class of African cartridges - e.g., less than the 416s and 458s, and 460WB. The .404's recoil is more like a 375's, while throwing a larger, heavier projectile (.423 dia./400gns).

If you want to tread in the footsteps of Selulous, Taylor, Roosevelt, and Hemingway, ... well, you need to do it proper and traditional.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (195.2 KB, 17 views)

Last edited by agtman; December 14, 2017 at 07:36 AM.
Old December 13, 2017, 10:18 PM   #33
FrankenMauser

The .416 Rigby in my family was chosen in a CZ 550 American Safari Magnum, because it was going to be scoped. (Vs the standard 'Safari' w/ lower comb.)

It's a decent rifle and has printed some very impressive groups ... but it's heavier than I like, at something like 12.5 lbs. (Yea, yea, it helps with recoil. But I'd rather take a little more punishment from a trigger pull than haul the weight around.)
Old December 13, 2017, 10:33 PM   #34
ms6852

Agree with m&p45acp10+1. I would use a 45/70 using 450 or 500 grin hard cast bullets, or Hornady's 500 grainers.