The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old November 5, 2017, 09:33 AM   #1
shoptroll

SASS question

If you have a lever gun that holds 9 in the tube, is it legal to start with one in the chamber to have your total 10 rounds? Never been to a match. Just in the research stage.
Old November 5, 2017, 11:18 AM   #2
ocharry

i would think they WOULD NOT let you do that,,be like loading your shotgun and staging it,,,safety problem,, if it got kicked or knocked over,,could go off,,but it has been a long time since i played that game

you could always start with the 9 and load on the fly,,,when ever i needed more than 10,,,i remember some stages had 11 or 12 shots,,,so everybody loaded on the fly,,,i would load my marlin in the side with the action open,,kinda like single loading a pump shot gun,,,toss it in and close the action,,,works pretty good and fast,,,dont know what kind of rifle you are using but if you have a marlin give it a try,,,some practice and it becomes second nature

ocharry
Old November 5, 2017, 12:47 PM   #3
Seamus Mc

No, you certainly could not. You should check out the SASS Wire forum where hundreds of old Cowpokes will answer your every CAS related question in great detail. It’s a real fun forum reflective of the “fun first” nature of the sport.

Seamus
Old November 5, 2017, 01:18 PM   #4
T. O'Heir

Go here. http://www.sassnet.com/Shooters-Handbook-001A.php
It says, on page 15, "Rifles may be staged with the magazine loaded, action closed, hammer fully down on the empty chamber (NOT the safety notch), with the muzzle pointing in a safe direction (adheres to the 170° rule)."
Old November 5, 2017, 03:08 PM   #5
shoptroll

Thanks. I have that PDF downloaded but I missed that line.
Old November 5, 2017, 07:12 PM   #6
Hawg

What are you using that holds 9?
Old November 5, 2017, 09:06 PM   #7
44 Dave

I removed some of the magazine spring in my gun to reduce the pressure needed to load, but also gives a half a shell extra space. You could take the cap off drop 10 rounds in and see how much room for spring is left.
Old November 5, 2017, 10:44 PM   #8
shoptroll

Rossi model 92 carbine in 357/38. Holds 8 - 357 or 9 - 38's in the tube. I've had the gun since the late 80's and would like to use it to start. I didn't ask the SASS forum because I don't need a load of crap about how the 92 is garbage and I need to drop $1500 on a race ready 1873. I only need about another 1/2" to 3/4" to get another 38 in there so I'll look at the tube when I get done polishing the action. Meets around here are done for the year anyway so, I have time.
Old November 6, 2017, 12:47 AM   #9
Hawg

You can clip five or six of the coils and take some off of the back of the plug.
Old November 6, 2017, 08:38 PM   #10
Hellgate

If your 92 is a 20” barrel the spring clip ought to allow 20 rounds of 357mag. if you have a Trapper you may be SOL and have to load 9 then load 1 on the clock. Shoot the game for fun. Speed is great if you have it. I never did and never will have it but my ‘92s have worked fine for me in SASS since 1993. I’m too cheap to be competitive and still have lots of fun.
SASS#3302 (Life), SASS Regulator, NRA (Life), Dirty Gamey Bastards #129
Wolverton Mtn. Peacekeepers (WA), former Orygun Cowboy (Ranger, Posse from Hell)
Old November 7, 2017, 07:30 PM   #11
shoptroll

Agreed.
Old November 10, 2017, 10:23 AM   #12
Driftwood Johnson

Howdy

Just so you know, SASS rules state that no firearm will have a live round in the chamber before the timer starts. Pistols are always loaded with 5 rounds, with the hammer down on an empty chamber, rifles are loaded with how ever many rounds the stage calls for, with the hammer down on an empty chamber, and shotguns are carried to the line with the action open and chambers empty.
Old November 10, 2017, 05:51 PM   #13
44 Dave

Outside hammers on shotguns can be cocked.
Old November 10, 2017, 08:26 PM   #14
Driftwood Johnson

Yes, hammers on a hammered double can be cocked, but the gun most be broken open and empty on the way to the firing line.
Old November 11, 2017, 06:02 PM   #15
shoptroll

So, I cut 7 coils off the mag spring, shaved a 1/16th off the plug and 1/8th off the back of the follower and it's all good. 10 rounds of .38 in the tube and we're good to go.
Old November 11, 2017, 06:08 PM   #16
Hellgate

YAAAAY! Question: how long is the barrel on that rifle? If it is a 16 incher it would be nice to know that it can be done (getting 10 rounds into the rifle mag).
SASS#3302 (Life), SASS Regulator, NRA (Life), Dirty Gamey Bastards #129
Wolverton Mtn. Peacekeepers (WA), former Orygun Cowboy (Ranger, Posse from Hell)
Old November 11, 2017, 07:24 PM   #17
shoptroll

It's a 16"er.
Old November 12, 2017, 09:23 PM   #18
Crunchy Frog

Others have answered your question so I will just encourage you to attend a local match and check out the sport.
Old November 12, 2017, 10:22 PM   #19
shoptroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crunchy Frog View Post
Others have answered your question so I will just encourage you to attend a local match and check out the sport.
I plan on it in the spring. Clubs around here have bagged it for the winter. The wife even said she'd be interested in going along to watch.
Old November 13, 2017, 08:49 AM   #20
Jim Watson

Tell her it will be an excuse to buy clothes and shoes.
There are a lot of "conventioneers" at SASS matches. They don't shoot, they just dress up and party.
Old November 13, 2017, 08:14 PM   #21
shoptroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
Tell her it will be an excuse to buy clothes and shoes.
There are a lot of "conventioneers" at SASS matches. They don't shoot, they just dress up and party.
Gotcha.
Old November 14, 2017, 05:46 PM   #22
Driftwood Johnson

Quote:
Where did you hear that? It sure does not happen around here. The only place I have heard of where guys dress up and don't shoot is the big Regionals or National matches. Even then, there are not many 'conventioneers' who show up not to shoot.
Old November 14, 2017, 08:47 PM   #23
Jim Watson

True, the mainliest ones wuz at End of Trail and suchlike other extravaganzas, but I saw some at places like the Ambush. Mostly wimmenfolks, tho.
Old December 17, 2017, 10:10 AM   #24
Real Gun

It still remains to be seen if that rifle shoots reliably when you rush it. You may indeed need one of those "$1500" race-reading rifles when you get good at it or simply want to get through a match without a jammed rifle, lost stage, dismal total times, and poor category ranking.

You could have you rifle worked on, but a better investment would be to plan on a gun upgrade, if you stick with the sport. The seemingly oppressive advice you may get on SASSWire is actually from those who have been there and wish the best for you. It is difficult to escape that CAS is a pretty expensive sport for gear.
Old December 19, 2017, 01:01 AM   #25
Driftwood Johnson

Quote:
I didn't ask the SASS forum because I don't need a load of crap about how the 92 is garbage and I need to drop $1500 on a race ready 1873.
Funny, I post on the SASS Wire all the time. I never told anybody a '92 is garbage. I started the sport in 2000 with an original Winchester Model 1892 made in 1894. Eventually I went to a Uberti '73, then an Uberti 1860 Henry. Did it because I liked the models, not to gain speed. Couldn't care less about how fast I shoot. Shooting old guns with Black Powder is not going to win me any speed awards anyway.

I'm pretty sure most guys on The Wire would not give you a load of crap about anything.