The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old December 11, 2017, 08:43 PM   #26
Striker1

Well I finally got out to the range with my (new to me) Vanguard!

For anyone interested, I set it up with a Nikon Prostaff 4-12x40 scope in Talley med Lt Wt Rings (sold by Weatherby for the Vanguard).

After bore-sighting, my shooting partner and I fired quite a few different rounds through it ranging from 77 gr SMK's, Fed 64 gr SP's, 55 Gr American Eagle ball and Hornady 40 gr V-Max. Since the rifle has a 1:12 twist barrel, the 77 SMK key-holed at 100 yds (as expected). The rifle did mediocre with the 55 gr ball fodder (again as expected) but shot really well with the 40 gr Hornady V-Max. I didn't measure the group but all 3 were touching. It also did well with the Fed 64 gr SP.

Functioning was perfect and the trigger is excellent! In fact, I much prefer the S2 two-stage trigger to the single stage type found on most rifles. It is so good, I felt no adjustment was needed at all.

Recoil was very mild, which was a key reason I wanted this rifle as my boys are ready to move up to shooting center fire rifles and I wanted one that was on the heavy side.

All in all the rifle seems very well built with a good solid synthetic stock, great trigger and decent accuracy...glad I picked it up!

Last edited by Striker1; December 14, 2017 at 05:53 PM.
Old December 12, 2017, 04:29 AM   #27
NHSHOOTER

Glad you like the rifle, I dont own 1 in 223, I have 1 in 243, 22-250 and recently got 1 in 7-08. They are all great shooters. I reload so they all do have pet loads. I think if you stick with hornady ammo in the 40 to 60 gr range that rifle will excel. Reloads would do even better..
Congrats on the new rifle!!
Old December 13, 2017, 02:30 PM   #28
SCgman

The two vanguards I've purchased were the previous S1s, and I think they're excellent rifles. I've never owned an S2 but expect they are terrific choices.
Old December 15, 2017, 08:02 PM   #29
std7mag

How are the Weatherby Magnum cartridges faring?
Looking for a 257 Weatherby.
Hoping the G2 is better than the first gen rifles.

Bought my daughter a 1st. gen in 243 Win.
Did 1" at 100 yd first 3 shots no problem.
Problem started with next 3 shots. 4-6".
Let cool for 30 min.
Next 3 shots 12-18".
Was only rifle i was glad to sell!

So please tell me the G2 is worth the money.
Old December 16, 2017, 12:24 PM   #30
dvdcrr

Ive got a Vanguard Stainless, before the G2. Never touched the trigger, never touched the action screws. Trigger breaks like glass, light. Shoots 3/4 moa with factory 100gr. Never floated it just shoot it. Dang close to perfect. 257 Weatherby Mag. Bought it in about 2009 at Cabelas
Warne one piece rail on top, Leupold QRW rings VX 1 or 2 scope with LRD
"All warfare is based on deception. Hence when we are able to attack we must seem unable....when using our forces we must appear inactive. When we are near we must make the enemy believe we are far away."Sun Tzu The Art of War.
Old December 16, 2017, 12:25 PM   #31
Striker1

So what's a "G2"? Do you guys mean "S2" as in Series 2? Or is there another version I haven't heard of.
Old December 16, 2017, 12:37 PM   #32
Striker1

Quote:
How are the Weatherby Magnum cartridges faring?
Looking for a 257 Weatherby.
Hoping the G2 is better than the first gen rifles.

Bought my daughter a 1st. gen in 243 Win.
Did 1" at 100 yd first 3 shots no problem.
Problem started with next 3 shots. 4-6".
Let cool for 30 min.
Next 3 shots 12-18".
Was only rifle i was glad to sell!

So please tell me the G2 is worth the money.
No such problems with mine. In fact, I've never heard of such a thing unless the scope or action was incorrectly installed / loose.

Did you contact Weatherby?
Old December 17, 2017, 09:23 AM   #33
std7mag

I meant S2, sorry.

Nope i didn't contact Weatherby. My daughter ended up trading it in for a bow.

Was not scope or mounting issue. I did try Weaver 1 piece base, with 3 different scopes.
Went to EGW 1 piece base again with 3 different scopes.

Would only do 1" group if left sit overnight. I even tried cooling action/barrel with ice bags.

Tried different pressure point on forestock.
Tried free floating.
Bedded action.

Would only shoot MOA for first 3 shots.
Old December 17, 2017, 10:57 AM   #34
Striker1

Quote:
I meant S2, sorry.

Nope i didn't contact Weatherby. My daughter ended up trading it in for a bow.

Was not scope or mounting issue. I did try Weaver 1 piece base, with 3 different scopes.
Went to EGW 1 piece base again with 3 different scopes.

Would only do 1" group if left sit overnight. I even tried cooling action/barrel with ice bags.

Tried different pressure point on forestock.
Tried free floating.
Bedded action.

Would only shoot MOA for first 3 shots.
Weatherby has a accuracy guarantee which you can read about on their web site, and check out. I believe it is less than 1 MOA for 3 shots with theirs or other premium ammo. Also, from what I hear, they have a very good warranty service. I'm not a brand loyalty guy so IMO, and this goes for any manufacturer, if I have a problem and don't allow them the opportunity to address it, I don't see much to complain about. If they fail to address it in a timely manner, then I do.

FWIW, I have never heard of anything like what you described unless something was drastically wrong with scope or action torque...or something of that nature. If the first grouping was tight and the following groups weren't, how can we explain that? going from 1" to 4-6" and then 12-18"!
Did the barrel suddenly lose it's rifling? Did the action screws suddenly come loose...did you guys check those, then tighten and torque using the Weatherby recommended procedures? I'm not saying the gun couldn't be a "lemon" 'cause it very well could have been...but if that were true, how did it manage a good 3-shot group in the beginning?

My personal example of something similar...Years ago I picked up a CZ 550 in .270 Win., a rifle with a reputation for accuracy and had the gun shop mount a Leupold VX3, 3-9x40 for me. First time at the range the first two rounds were touching at 100 yds. Then the group started to open drastically. Since my spotter was a member who I had never met, I didn't want to blame the gun for what I'm sure he suspected was my bad shooting technique, I just soldiered on until it was obvious things were not going to get any better. I packed up, went home and found the scope rings were loose, sliding back and forth in the receiver dove-tail. I put a different set of rings on, re-installed it myself and have not changed a thing since 2003...and that rifle easily shoots inside an inch or better with several factory loads.

Anyway, sorry you had a bad experience with yours
Old December 18, 2017, 04:29 PM   #35
std7mag

Yes, action screw were checked for torque using a Fat Wrench.

I know i didn't follow up with Weatherby, and i should have.
My thinking is that the bore in the barrel wasn't perfectly centered. Hence as it heated up would go further off into what ever direction it wanted.