The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old December 7, 2017, 09:33 AM   #1
timpierce

New Rifle

I just bought a Savage Axis II XP in .308 Win. It has the accu-trigger, which I really like, and the heavy barrel. I would like to change out the stock, and add a bi-pod. Rifle will ultimately be used for an elk hunt, but also for some bench rest or prone shooting. I'm intrigued by the Boyds At One adjustable stocks. Does anyone have first hand experience with one?
I'm open to other suggestions for stock options as well as bi-pod. I bought the rifle from PSA for 299.00. It came with a Weaver scope and rings already boresighted. I'll try it with scope, but will probably upgrade that too. After the 100.00 rebate, I'm only into it for 200.00. plenty of room for adding some better stuff.

Last edited by timpierce; December 7, 2017 at 09:59 AM.
Old December 7, 2017, 12:06 PM   #2
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Sounds like you'll wind up with a rifle that's a bit heavy for walking in rough country.
Old December 7, 2017, 01:13 PM   #3
timpierce

Yeah, Art you're probably right about that. Might have to look into a Hogue stock instead. should be somewhat lighter than the Boyds.
Old December 7, 2017, 01:18 PM   #4
jmr40

The stock you have will weigh about 1.5 lbs. A Hogue is 3-3.5 lbs depending. The Boyds stocks run 2.5-3 lbs. Same advice I gave on THR. Buy better glass or ammo. The stock you have will shoot as good as the others.

Winston Churchill
Old December 7, 2017, 02:02 PM   #5
RC20

I will put in a different thought. That stock sort of works but its ugly and its poorly supported. A good stock, yes.

But why do you want a bipod?

So, an alternative as the All in one is also (my opinion) ugly as well.

Boyds makes what is called Laminated stocks. Those are composite of another type and they stand up equally as well as the black stuff (plastic or CRFP, glass etc).

they look a whole lot better (unless you are into the black tactical look which I am admittedly not but ) Not the best link, the site does not like my browser, but you can work your way through the choices. Not sure why I don't see a Thumbhole but that is a choice, I like them, others don't. Lots of options.

https://www.boydsgunstocks.com/produ...bc-43c214d04zz

The one I think would work well for you is the Lightweight Thumbhole Hunter (yes I have one). I shoot 30-06 on it and its my most accurate gun (Shilen barrel).

Those stocks are as light as the black campsites, they resist weather every bit as well and they actually look good with a variety of colors and lots of options (if money is no object)

You would not think of it as a target stock but I have two other full target in a TH and I like it a bit better.

As for target, if you are shooing on a bnhc, a bad in front and support bag in the rear is even better than a bi pod and you don't have that weight to carry in the wood.

This is a better look. You still have to contact Boyds to be sure you get the right model for your gun.

https://www.boydsgunstocks.com/acces...n-factoryf30e0

Last edited by RC20; December 7, 2017 at 02:08 PM.
Old December 7, 2017, 02:31 PM   #6
timpierce

JMR, I'll take your advice and upgrade the scope and rings, and just shoot it for now. I may decide that stock is fine.

RC20 thanks for the advice on the stock, and using bags. Makes a lot of sense. I do like that thumbhole stock!
Old December 7, 2017, 03:22 PM   #7
Dufus

I usually reinforce the fore end section of those stocks by fitting a rod (either 1/8" or 5/32") into the fore end and then using Loctite Epoxy Heavy Duty, filling in the channels.

All you gotta do is grind out the channels to fit the rod into and pour the epoxy the length of the rods. Once the rods are encased in the epoxy, the fore end does not move near as easily.

Welding rods work fine when the flux is removed. Just cut to fit the length of the fore arm.
Old December 7, 2017, 03:39 PM   #8
Dranrab

We tend to get really hung up on cheap plastic stocks. They are a common complaint on almost every mid to low end rifle. The complaint is most often about how flimsy or ugly they are. But remember, a stock is a handle. Nothing more or less. As long as that handle isn't doing anything to diminish accuracy, then don't worry about it. Most cheaply stocked guns turn in sub-moa accuracy these days.
Old December 7, 2017, 04:28 PM   #9
RC20

I think they work on low recoil calibers like 6.5.

I don't think they hold up on 308, hence the advice

And while its personal opinion, I think they are ugly.

For $73 you can get a light weight hunter laminated.

Boyds is a very good fit for Savage, a bit of relief at the rear tang is all that is needed.

And again, if you like black and tactical its not my intent to bad mouth that, I just like good looking stocks and am not into tactical so my recommendations and choices are for Boyds laminates.

My broth has a Micmillan Savage stocked rifle he likes how it shoots, doesn't mind the looks.

If you look they offer a large variety of colors from natural wood to more exotic.

I get a kick out of other shooters coming by and telling me they really like what I have doe with my guns.

Get a stainless steel barrel on a blued or blacked actions with a good looking stock and the conversations begin. I like that.
Old December 7, 2017, 06:48 PM   #10
Dranrab

RC, I love some of the laminate color combos. Safari Camo is a fairly new one, and I WILL end up witch a stock so colored. I can appreciate a quality stock and beautiful stocks, and I am far from tacticool. I just won't get hung up on a cheap ugly plastic stock on a cheap gun if the gun shoots well.
Old December 8, 2017, 02:41 PM   #11
RC20

Good enough. Money is always a aspect of this.

Its more than worth a try.

As long as you have the resource and know its there that's the important thing.

If or when yuou make the move, call them, the partial of the gun are important for blind, magainze type (I don't follow Axis a lot) and get the bull channel as it is more a Varing barrel (Savage aka Axis that is a pretty heavey barrel just shy of a bull)

Opening up the channel if needed is easy with 80 grit paper on a dowel or other round object. The channel is mostly hollow with two high spots so only a couple areas to work down.

Top bolt or bottom bolt release as well is critical.

Not sure if hardware is needed but the would know. I replaced the plastic stuff on the one gun anyway.

Get the high gloss finish, its even better looking (if the money is there).

All after market stocks need to be checked for fit, but so far the only areas on these that needed any relieving were the rear tang.

I just use Hornady white lube comes in a small tub and put it on the bottom and you can see where it hits and does not.

And again, for the guys who like tactical stuff, I don't look down my nose.

I grew up with wooden stock guns and that is imbedded in my DNA.