The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Closed Thread

Old October 7, 2017, 11:57 PM   #1
Bartholomew Roberts

Wayne LaPierre and Chris Cox Must Go

The recent statement from the NRA on bumpstocks was approved by these two gentlemen and said: "The NRA believes that devices designed to allow semi-automatic rifles to function like fully-automatic rifles should be subject to additional regulations."

People who think that the NRA should advocating for "additional regulations on firearms" are completely opposed to my vision of the NRA. LaPierre and Cox have to go. Until they do, the NRA stands no chance of regaining the massive amount of ground they have lost.

Do not throw your membership away. Keep it. Become a voting member (life member or five consecutive years) if you are not already. Let's keep America's oldest civil rights organization on track!
Old October 8, 2017, 01:08 AM   #2
50 shooter

I couldn't agree more!

Wayne has always had the idea that the NRA is about hunting and target shooting and why does anyone need a military rifle to hunt....

The NRA had to change their views because of the loss in membership/revenue!

This latest stunt has set us back about 30 years, not to mention how much infighting it brought out between members, non members and average Joe's! They both need to step down and give the reins to someone that can run the NRA with the right values. Someone that understands what all gun owners want and what the shooting sports and the 2A means.
No time for rearranging.
Old October 8, 2017, 09:23 AM   #3
zukiphile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart Roberts
Do not throw your membership away. Keep it. Become a voting member (life member or five consecutive years) if you are not already. Let's keep America's oldest civil rights organization on track!
Pitch perfect. When the NRA, the biggest and most effective advocacy organization on this issue, frustrates you, it doesn't become your enemy. It means you need to make you voice heard within and through that effective venue.
Old October 8, 2017, 09:43 AM   #4
JoeSixpack

I already chopped up my card and told them to kill my AR subscription, and no contact.

Someone said Wayne made the statement without any approval.. if that's the case I need to know about it.. it needs to be more than rumor if it is indeed true and they kick his ass to the curb All will be forgiven and I will call and make up.

Otherwise Im done with NRA.
Old October 8, 2017, 09:48 AM   #5
BarryLee

Ok, I’ve never been big fan of LaPierre, but is this really a bad move from a strategic standpoint? I mean let’s be honest there is going to be more regulation on bump stocks regardless of the NRA’s position. So, if regulation is inevitable is it really a bad move for the NRA to be involved. Maybe the NRA involvement adds more restriction, but avoids an outright ban.

Also, I’m not suggesting that the NRA take this approach on other issues, but we have to be honest that bump stocks do fit into somewhat of a gray area. I’ll freely admit I don’t know all the answers, but I know the anti-gun crowd would love to see the NRA destroyed and would love even more for it to come from within. Like many of you I have followed gun rights issues very closely and I believe the NRA has and will continue to be the best defender of our Constitutional rights.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old October 8, 2017, 10:17 AM   #6
50 shooter

I'm going to say this the easiest way I can and I'm not trying to be mean or a dick... this has nothing to do with bump stocks! You can bump fire all day long without one, it's not hard to do.

Wayne had NO right to open his flapper, period.
No time for rearranging.
Old October 8, 2017, 10:19 AM   #7
JoeSixpack

If there is gonna be regulation let them fight to pass it.. why give them the thumbs up.

A man breaks into your house and has you at gun point.. Im gonna rob you.. Im starting with the TV.. That's where I'd start too. it's 4k curved and 3d enabled.. good choice sir *thumbs up*

LOL WHY? If you're gonna get robbed you don't have to give it your seal of approval.

But more to the point maybe new restrictions was coming, maybe not.. but when you signal you're open to the idea you give them a inch upon to stand and take a foot.
That very night Nancy Pelosi said to reporters SHE HOPES IT'S A SLIPPERY SLOPE.

You might think this is damage control.. The gun grabbers just see the door cracked and take it for weakness.

But hey im not even sure anything is going to happen now.. They're so damn giddy about the prospect of getting a bill thru that they're loading up the wish list, which will probably take a while to compile, things will cool off, it'll be to big of an "ask" and if it makes it to the floor probably fail.

At least those who don't care about bump stocks had better HOPE it fails because it does not look like they're gonna stop there when they take their bite at the apple.

The smart play here is to craft a very narrow bill and get it to the floor asap and get what you can get but the longer they take loading up the plate at the buffet the more likely the foods cold when they goto eat.

The NRA should have just said nothing.. or put out a statement of condolences.. Even if them signaling a willingness to look the other way on bump stocks buys them some temporary reprieve from the gun grabbers blaming them for every shooting it will only last until the next time there is a shooting.

It's a waste of time giving cup cakes to your enemies.
Old October 8, 2017, 10:38 AM   #8
jrinne0430

I can't fathom why the NRA, and the congressional members that jumped on board, thought it was a wise move to surrender without a fight. If we would have lost the stock via court or legislatively, we would done so as one team one fight. Now we have more visible slit among us, more folks pulling away from supporting the NRA, and pulling support from the congressional members who support the ban with important elections in the near future this; making us much weaker. Feinstein, Pelosi, Soros, could not have done a better job themselves.
Old October 8, 2017, 10:43 AM   #9
Glenn E. Meyer

We already have an NRA thread:

https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=590134

So I'm closing this one down has redundant, comments about this can be made there along with pictures of you doing whatever you want to do.