The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old July 21, 2017, 07:09 PM   #1
chbarnha

Shotshells and their value...

First post here but this is about the only site I could find that I hoped I could gain the information im seeking. Thanks in advance for any help. I acquired these 16 ga shells a few years ago and have had them in sealed boxes. Just recently I became interested in what the approximate value of these shells are and if there is really any value to them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image1 (2).JPG (146.3 KB, 102 views)
File Type: jpg image4 (1).JPG (94.1 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg image2 (2).JPG (94.0 KB, 69 views)
Old July 21, 2017, 07:11 PM   #2
chbarnha

more pictures
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image2 (3).JPG (138.5 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg image3 (1).JPG (91.3 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg image3 (2).JPG (106.8 KB, 46 views)
Old July 21, 2017, 07:14 PM   #3
chbarnha

one more
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image1 (3).JPG (98.1 KB, 50 views)
Old July 21, 2017, 07:27 PM   #4
FITASC

http://www.gunsinternational.com/gun...cfm?cat_id=860

You might check there to see if anything matches or is similar - it isn't absolute, but should give you some idea.

And yes, there is always some collector value to old ammo - especially in full boxes in great condition.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old July 21, 2017, 07:56 PM   #5
chbarnha

thanks for your help, yeah all of these boxes are full. some plastic hulls, but mostly paper
Old July 21, 2017, 10:38 PM   #6
jonnyc

I collect metric-military ammo, but I do see lots of shotshell ammo at collector shows. As a rule, especially over the last 6-8 years, shotshells don't bring much at all. A coupe of your boxes do look less common, however. The next problem is determining their rarity. The biggest issue will be finding a shotshell collector who needs/wants them and is willing to pay more than shooting prices.
PM me the state you're in and I might be able to put you in touch with a shotshell collector.
Old July 22, 2017, 12:49 PM   #7
T. O'Heir

Some of 'em will have collector value. Some will have value as shootable ammo. No idea which will be which myself.
Go here and rummage around. There's a forum too.
http://cartridgecollectors.org/search?q=shotshells
Some people collect just the boxes.
Old July 22, 2017, 04:54 PM   #8
sgms

cartridgecollectors .org is a good sight there is also a collectors group on face book cartridge and ordnance curio & relic collectors that may be able to help. It is a closed group so it must be joined.
Old July 22, 2017, 07:03 PM   #9
Scorch

Just as an aside or FWIW
* The red/green Remington boxes are from the 1950s and the green/red boxes are from the 1960s. About 1975 or so, Remington adopted the familiar green/yellow boxes (which are still with us mostly).

* Remington offered Peters. Mohawk, Remington Nitro and other name shells at a variety of price points.

* The yellow Winchester Super-X and Ranger shells are from the 1960s to early 1970s. Saw lots of thse when I was a kid After the early 1970s, Winchester shells came in red boxes, and were branded Super-X, Upland, and Game Load (among others)..

* The most valuable boxes are pristine boxes with all their ammo,or the "artsy" boxes with hunting scenes on them.

* All of the manufacturers made "hunting grade" ammo with pictures of ducks or geese or turkeys or quail or rabbits or dove . . . you get the idea. Those were around until fairly recently.
Old July 25, 2017, 12:40 PM   #10
Mike Irwin
Staff

Most of the boxes appear to have various condition issues.

The fact that they're full (as long as it's the correct ammo) is a plus, but Jonny's right, unless the stuff is really old or really uncommon, shotshells just don't bring that much.

It looks like the oldest boxes there are from the 1950s, with a bunch into the 1960s and 1970s.

My guess is that the best box in the lot is the Remington ShurShot box, the one with the red and white front panel in image 3 (2). I believe it's also the earliest, and could be as early as the late 1940s but is most likely 1950s.

Oops. I see Jonny also picked that up.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old July 25, 2017, 09:37 PM   #11
chbarnha

thanks for the help guys, got a guy that interested in buying all of them, but I do want to hold on to some of them. guess ill just see what he offers me for the majority and keep the ones I don't want to sell. the Remington express yellow box will shoot good in my dads sweet sixteen. might as well hold on to them.