The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old October 27, 2018, 04:17 AM   #1
NathanHoln

Anyone use the CMMG 22lr conversion?

Right now Primary Arms is doing a sale on the CMMG .22 LR AR-15 Conversion Kit for $160.
I've been looking for something like this, either a conversion kit or an upper, for the kids and whatnot.
Anyone use this? I want something for cheaper practice and to train my kids and hopefully more training in shooting than clearing malfunctions.
Old October 27, 2018, 04:48 AM   #2
Mobuck

I went a step(and another $100)farther and bought a PSA complete upper. IMHO, it's well worth that $100.
Old October 27, 2018, 04:30 PM   #3
berettaprofessor

Agreed; spend extra and buy the complete upper. Even better, for the children, just buy a S&W M&P 15-22. I have both, and the complete upper is on a polymer lower, but the M&P is still lighter and just more fun. Yes it's twice the cost but it's the most AR fun money can buy. Stick on a red dot and vertical foregrip and you'll be a #1 Dad in minutes.

If you buy a complete upper, purchase only steel lip magazines if you can. Most are plastic lip and they're hit and miss for quality. I had 4 stored loaded in my closet and one day found 22LR rounds floating around the shelf and floor. Turns out two of them had spontaneously broken off their lips during storage and the spring unloaded the magazines.

And yes, I know the M&P 15-22 mags are plastic lipped, but they don't seem to have the issue.....yet!
Old October 28, 2018, 12:33 AM   #4
NathanHoln

What advantage does a complete upper have over the conversion kit?
Old October 28, 2018, 05:21 PM   #5
zukiphile

Reliability and accuracy.
Old October 28, 2018, 06:32 PM   #6
Screwball

I got a Spikes .22 upper, which used their kit. When CMMG put their upgraded one out (Echo), I picked it up and swapped the collar for the chamber adapter. Sold the Spikes assembly with the adapter as a conversion kit.

Personally, I like the upper... especially since I opted for the Lothar Walther barrel (Green Mountain was stock). Also, since the barrel is positioned closer to the rear than a standard AR barrel, a 16” .22 barrel is the same profile as a 14.5”.

Conversions, they work... but they are also using the 5.56mm twist rate. And then guns like the M&P 15-22... you don’t have the flexibility of a standard AR lower. For me, .22s aren’t extremely useful. I rather pop the pins on a 5.56mm to use the .22 over a dedicated .22 rifle.
Old October 28, 2018, 08:44 PM   #7
Mobuck

I've had some FTF with the PSA upper but that may be related to the light hammer spring.
I swapped it onto another lower but ran out of time before getting it tested.
Old October 29, 2018, 09:23 AM   #8
Fishbed77

Never used the CMMG conversion kit, but I have owed one of their complete .22LR uppers for about 7 years, and it has been fantastic - very reliable and as accurate as any out-of-the-box semi-auto .22LR I've ever encountered.
Old October 30, 2018, 07:26 AM   #9
Mobuck

Has anyone found or used an AR 22 magazine that is shorter than the CMMG/BlackDog 30 round profile? I HATE those and Granddaughter can't shoot with that disgusting appendage hanging from the magwell.
Old October 30, 2018, 08:37 AM   #10
zukiphile

I like S&W 15-22 ten round magazines. They are durable, reliable, easy to load and even less intrusive than 5.56 20 round magazines.

You can glue a shim to the front of the magazine, or the interior of the magazine well, or you can get a Better Mag adapter and you'll have the function of the bolt catch restored.
Old October 30, 2018, 04:13 PM   #11
Screwball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobuck View Post
Has anyone found or used an AR 22 magazine that is shorter than the CMMG/BlackDog 30 round profile? I HATE those and Granddaughter can't shoot with that disgusting appendage hanging from the magwell.

They do 15 rounders that are similar to 20 round 5.56mm magazines... or at least they did them.
Old November 2, 2018, 09:41 AM   #12
Ibmikey

My initial .22 is a DPMS dedicated unit that uses standard AR parts for everything except the rim fire internals, even the upper is basically standard but is not capable of being converted to other calibers. The rifle has proper weight, controls and is an awesome shooter. Buy your ammo by the brick or case as you can quickly go through a ton.
This rifle uses Black Dog magazines and the 15 round is like screwball said about the same length as a 20 rd 5.56 mag.

Last edited by Ibmikey; November 2, 2018 at 06:23 PM.