The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old September 16, 2018, 03:57 PM   #1
CAPMJUSTICE

Pocket pistol with a lot of style?

Hello all. New to posting but I’ve read the firing line several times to answer questions I’ve had. I currently have a good IWB 1911, a good OWB double stack H&K, and a good gym/beach gun in an NAA 22 mag. What I feel like I’m missing in my concealed carry tool box is a good pocket pistol for when I’m in dress pants with a tucked in shirt. I live in the south so when I dress nice it’s usually without a jacket. And since dress pants pockets have more room than gym shorts and swimming trunks I feel like I should take advantage of being able to carry something better than a 22 mag that I can’t reload. But since I’ll be in dress pants when carrying it I kinda want something with a lot of style. Something I can show off in the right setting. Like I said, I live in the south and it’s not uncommon to be in an upscale setting and someone curious about what you’re carrying. So:

1. Pocket pistol
2. Quicker on the reload that an NAA mini revolver
3. Something with a lot of style
Old September 16, 2018, 03:59 PM   #2
Ben Dover

Lots of style???

Walther Pre-WW2 PPK!

It is very important what a man stands for.
But it is far more important what a man refuses to stand for.
Old September 16, 2018, 05:29 PM   #3
DaleA

Quote:
I kinda want something with a lot of style. Something I can show off in the right setting. Like I said, I live in the south and it’s not uncommon to be in an upscale setting and someone curious about what you’re carrying.
Welcome to "The Firing Line" lots of information here and lots of folk that really know what they're talking about. (I'm not one.)

I kind of understand your question but can't help you out. Blame it on my cold Northern upbringing (Minnesota) but I wouldn't tell anybody if I was carrying or not and it would be function over form for me. Like maybe a pocket holster (something like a DeSantis Nemesis) and a Ruger LCP or maybe a Kel tec.)

But to each their own and if your willing to put up with a little flack now and then I'm pretty sure you'll find like minded folk to answer your questions. Stick around no matter what. I think you'll enjoy the forum.

Ruger LCP:
https://ruger.com/products/lcp/models.html

DeSantis Nemesis:
https://ads.midwayusa.com/product/11...SABEgJ4W_D_BwE

Kel tec:
https://www.keltecweapons.com/pistols/p-3at/
Old September 16, 2018, 05:55 PM   #4
CAPMJUSTICE

Ben Dover, just googled pre-ww2 ppk and those do look quite nice. Any idea on how those are still performing at their current age? Not scared of a gun being old, just wandering
Old September 16, 2018, 06:15 PM   #5
Bottom Gun

Seecamp

Mechanical engineers have their moments.
Old September 16, 2018, 06:43 PM   #6
Jdin8455

Rohrbaugh R9?
Old September 16, 2018, 07:09 PM   #7
FITASC

Quote:
Lots of style???

Walther Pre-WW2 PPK!
Yep
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old September 16, 2018, 07:48 PM   #8
seeker_two

Two birds....one stone....

https://northamericanarms.com/produc...der-ranger-ii/

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
Old September 16, 2018, 08:57 PM   #9
Ben Dover

A pre-war Walther in good condition will perform like a new gun. Take care of it and it will last forever.

BTW, that's the first choice of James Bond

It is very important what a man stands for.
But it is far more important what a man refuses to stand for.
Old September 16, 2018, 09:18 PM   #10
FITASC

Actually, Bond's first gun was a .25 Beretta. Besides the Walther, the Mauser Hsc also looks cool
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old September 16, 2018, 10:04 PM   #11
kenny53

Don't know about style but the Ruger LCP, Ruger LCR , or S&W M&P 9 compact all work well. I think function is better then style.
Old September 16, 2018, 11:31 PM   #12
Cheapshooter

Never thought "concealed carry" meant showing off in the right situation. The first concern should be 100 percent reliability, the second, concealibility. Save the "showing off" for home or range with an empty, safety checked gun.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old September 17, 2018, 12:05 AM   #13
Bill DeShivs

I carry an engraved Keltec P32.
I also have an engraved NAA .32 Guardian, engraved Astra Cub, engraved Bernardelli .22 short/long. Pocket BBQ guns!
Old September 17, 2018, 12:37 AM   #14
Rob228

I used to have just the thing: a S&W 42 "lemon squeezer".

Ended up giving it to a good friend who appreciated it much more than I did.
Old September 17, 2018, 06:05 AM   #15
CDW4ME

Kahr PM9/40 have some punch oriented style. (Point of carrying it is to quickly stop attacker)
PM9
Federal HST 124 +P @ 1,120 fps / 345# KE
Winchester Ranger T 124 +P @ 1,139 fps / 357# KE
Corbon 115 +P JHP @ 1,264 fps / 408# KE
PM40
180 gr. Federal HST @ 947 fps / 359# KE
180 gr. Speer Gold Dot @ 950 fps / 361# KE
155 gr. Federal Bonded @ 1,086 fps / 406# KE

ETA Pocket 380 is anemic compared to above KE numbers, comparatively deficient in momentum too.
Old September 17, 2018, 07:35 AM   #16
CAPMJUSTICE

Cheapshooter, my understanding, based on my limited experience but supplemented by other great gun enthusiasts on here, has always lead me to believe that firearm reliability is less about finding the top 20 percent of guns or purposely choosing ugly reliable guns, but rather is about avoiding the bottom 20 percent of firearms. Reliability and style are not mutually exclusive. And you would just have to live in my area to understand my settings. Though I’m sure many communities in this great nation are similar. Where I am there isn’t a philosophical fear of firearms as much as it seems in other places. As long as the setting is appropriate, (ie privately hosted, no children or gun grabbers around) and I know those present are pro gun, which all my friends are, I don’t mind showing someone my carry choice. And of course I safety check, by showing off I don’t mean waving it around .
Old September 17, 2018, 07:50 AM   #17
jar

A few days ago was carrying a Smith & Wesson that is 115 years old or so. I regularly shoot and carry handguns that are 100 years old or so. If a gun is well maintained then it will last for a long, long time. I am currently getting the springs replaced in my 1942 Walther P38 and once the new springs come in I'll put it back in rotation.
Old September 17, 2018, 09:10 AM   #18
Skans

Boberg (Bond Arms) XR9-S.
Old September 17, 2018, 09:27 AM   #19
Bill DeShivs

Rob 228's post reminded me that I used to carry an engraved S&W 42!
I engraved all the guns mentioned.
Old September 17, 2018, 09:29 AM   #20
Model12Win

James Bond guns like the Walther (Vwooltuh) or Makarov would fit the bill.
Old September 17, 2018, 10:26 AM   #21
TailGator

A Sig P238 functions quite similarly to your 1911, and they are nice looking little pistols that shoot well. You can get them with lots of different finish treatments to suit your taste.
Old September 17, 2018, 10:39 AM   #22
rwagliardo

Agree with a Seecamp. I pocket carry the .380 but if I had to do over would go with the .32.
Old September 17, 2018, 12:05 PM   #23
RickB

SIG P938.
I like the plain black model, but they make one with a polished slide and fancy wood grips that has a bit of oooh and aaaah about it.
Old September 17, 2018, 01:13 PM   #24
MR-7-45

I carry a Sig P230 380 in a Sneaky Pete holster or when I am wearing blue jeans the P230 fits well in my pants pocket.
Old September 17, 2018, 03:11 PM   #25
Cheapshooter

Quote:
Where I am there isn’t a philosophical fear of firearms as much as it seems in other places. As long as the setting is appropriate, (ie privately hosted, no children or gun grabbers around) and I know those present are pro gun, which all my friends are, I don’t mind showing someone my carry choice. And of course I safety check, by showing off I don’t mean waving it around .
Well,we must agree to disagree. If I carry it it is loaded. Loaded means one in the pipe. One in the pipe means I don't show it off to anybody! No matter what the attitude of surrounding people is. Every time you handle a loaded gun, no matter how safe you think you are being, you risk a negligent discharge. Guns, especially loaded guns aren't meant to be a status symbol fashon accessory like a fancy watch, ir expensive jewlery. Not in my world anyway. If I want to show off one of my nicer guns it is taken from the safe where it is stored empty.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!

Tags
pocket carry , pocket gun