The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old January 2, 2016, 01:37 PM   #26
laxin213

I listed here with no luck in selling. Thanks again to all that replied for the info they shared. Also, I have included proof marks, length and better photos. 3 are now on GB:

Firearm 5

Firearm 6

Firearm 11
Old January 2, 2016, 09:59 PM   #27
emcon5

Just curious, how did you come up with your prices? Unless there is something big I am missing, that Schmidt-Rubin is priced over double what it should be.

I am not trying to crap on your thread, but Military rifles in particular lose a lot of value if they are modified from the original configuration. Schmidt-Rubin rifles (while excellent rifles and extremely well made) are sort of an oddball and not really known out of collector circles (and Switzerland), and frankly most folks wanting one willing to pay that much will want one that is original.

There is a complete examples of that model, with accessories listed for about the same price you are asking that has been relisted at least 8 times before it finally sold: http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=529710489

There is a rifle similar to yours that has been relisted 4 times, with no reserve and a starting price of $195: http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=534763334

Here is one similar to yours with a starting price of $109 that ended with no bids.
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=513533796

Sorry if this is not something you want to hear.
Old January 2, 2016, 10:49 PM   #28
laxin213

No fair question. The GB prices are $150 over the best offer we have from local dealers. That would cover gb fees, FFL, boxing, shipping, etc. If there are no bids then to me it shows that we are getting about the top offers from the local dealer.
Old January 4, 2016, 10:47 PM   #29
capt14k

If you have a dealer willing to give you those prices take them down from gunbroker immediately and camp outside the dealer's shop so you are there for opening then run to the bank and cash the check. Better yet get cash.
Old January 5, 2016, 09:49 AM   #30
gyvel

Quote:
If you have a dealer willing to give you those prices take them down from gunbroker immediately and camp outside the dealer's shop so you are there for opening then run to the bank and cash the check. Better yet get cash.
^^^^ Agreed.

"Money talks, BS walks."
SIFE
Old January 5, 2016, 12:00 PM   #31
kilimanjaro

For $150 I'd sell to the local shop for sure. Might as well support your local businesses, he must feel he needs these rifles for his inventory or has a buyer waiting.

Saves you the bother of packing, shipping, insuring, sweating payment, etc., etc., for 3 separate buyers. That $150 above your offer is going to pay for the expense of sale, so you're making no money and performing labor to do it.
Old January 5, 2016, 12:18 PM   #32
jdc606

I sold off my Dad's firearm collection (around 50 shotguns/rifles) using online auction sites Gunbroker and Auctionarms. We got 5x the amount of money Cabela's offered. If you really want to sell the guns, best is to start with $0 bid and no reserve. List a fixed shipping price. I used $40 but the local FFL would have handled the packaging/shipping for $50. Would have been easier using the FFL but I didn't feel comfortable trusting my reputation to another's packaging.

There are so many firearms for sale that your listing will be buried many pages back in a short time. The main thing that grabs a buyer's eye is an item with bids on it. The way to get bids is start at $0. There are millions of buyers that will determine the actual value of your firearm. No one will let a $1000 firearm get by for $.01. It can get scary for the seller but if you must sell, the online auctions have proven to work best for us.
If I knew back in 1970 what I know today, I would have bought Microsoft stock and all the military surplus rifles I could get my hands on.
Old January 9, 2016, 08:18 PM   #33
zfk55

"The GP11 was never authorized for use in the Model 1889 rifle, and can only be used in adapted rifles, the Model 1896/11, although I've seen more than one recommendation that 1896/11s really aren't up to a steady diet of GP11 rounds. "

#6 is indeed an 1889. IF it was converted, it would have been to the common 30/30 conversion. easiest way to tell if you have no other........ try to chamber an inert round of 30/30.

The receiver of the 1889 is indeed strong, however........ the locking lugs on the bolt are at the rear, and the cartridge head is NOT supported enough by the bolt face to fire the more powerful GP11.

Mike, the 96/11 will, indeed, take a steady diet of 7.5x55 since the 96/11, the 1911. the k11, k31 and zfk55 were actually designed "around" the GP11 cartridge, making it the only military series of rifles to be designed around a cartridge instead of a cartridge being designed for a rifle.

I wrote this response maybe 25 or 30 years ago for a gent enquiring.

" Good day Erwin.
The k31 and it's mates, the 1911, k11 and the rare (in the US) zfk55 Swiss Sniper Rifle are a rarity in another category. A Military series of rifles designed around a specific cartridge for accuracy and performance.

The intent of this cartridge/rifle mating was to hit a human in the kill zone at range and they performed as intended. Not many production rifles are capable of doing that. The very great majority of these rifles perform

Are there rifles that outperform it? Of course there are, but none of them are a standard military issue firearm designed around a dedicated production cartridge for that rifle."

The most common of the conversions were of 96/11s and 1911s converted to .308 by Golden State Arms in the 70's. Those receivers are, indeed, more than strong enough for the 50,000+cpu of the .308.

Haemmerli manufactured the k31 in 7.5x55, .308, 30-06 (as a single shot) and 300 Winchester magnum. The steel in the receivers and barrels of those rifles is of a Rockwell hardness that it's an insane chore to drill. Far harder than any other military rifle manufactured. How do I know this? Because my company, for the past 17 years has manufactured after market accessories for Swiss Rifles. We're very involved in the metallurgy of these rifles.

An'' ole' Brer' Rabbit, he set in de bushes, he watch an' he wait, lay low an' he don' say nuffin'