The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old March 26, 2018, 01:48 AM   #51
Cosmodragoon

Quote:
I won three of the LCR models of Ruger, 22lr, 327 Fed. and the .357 Mag. Love them all. I use the .22 for target practice and gun handling. Still up in the air on the .327 Fed. It shoots nice but does have a kick. Have not tried any other of the .32 caliber rounds through it yet.
Lucky! How did you manage that?

When it comes to using the LCR 327 in .327 Federal, I recommend the 85-grain Hydra-Shoks. We did a "blind" test of bunch of different rounds/calibers through different models of LCR with a few friends. The 100 and 115-grain loads we tried in .327 Federal were less comfortable and closer in recoil to Wal-Mart's cheapest 125-grain loads in .357 magnum. The 85-grain .327 Hydra-Shoks, marketed as "low recoil", were indistinguishable from mid-weight .38 +p from the LCR 38 in terms of felt recoil. (It was louder but it felt about the same.) The difference on water jugs was pretty spectacular though. Setting aside the math of an 85-grain hollowpoint traveling at around 1275 fps, it was the best jug-buster for the least recoil.

The only commercial .32 H&R magnum ammo we could find felt more like standard-pressure mid-weight .38 special from the heavier LCR 357. It was about as effective too. (I don't remember the brand.) The Magtech .32 S&W Long 98 grain SJHP was a real pussycat to shoot. It performed as expected in the bottom tier as far as destruction. It is still more powerful and more reliable than .22 LR. It kicks a little more than rimfire but nowhere near the big boys and the lighter trigger pull keeps it preferable.
Old March 26, 2018, 09:46 AM   #52
Buckeye!

I have a Ruger LCR357 and two of my Charter 38Spl revolvers have polymer grip frames and trigger guards ...
Old March 29, 2018, 12:48 AM   #53
WheelGunMan

I own two LCR'S...one in .357 and the other in .22 WMR...

My .357 is my EDC...I chose the .357 because it has a stainless steel frame and the fact that it weighs 4.3 oz more than the .38 Special that helps in absorption of recoil. I carry it loaded with Inceptor ARX ammo in .38 Special 77 grain copper polymer bullets. They leave my LCR at approximately 1100 fps and provide a wound cavity comparable to a 38 Special +p 125 grain JHP as measured in ballistic gelatin. With the Inceptor ammo the recoil is negligible and I can shoot for extended periods without torturing my hands or wrists. Because of the reduced recoil I can get follow up shoots off a lot quicker. And should I want to shoot .357 thru it, they offer a 86 grain cartridge with speeds approaching +1600 fps out of that short barrel.

The LCR with the stainless frame should provide me with years of service and is an exceptional little shooter. I would highly recommend to anyone for conceal carry as long as they're willing to practice diligently with it so as to become proficient.

Last edited by WheelGunMan; March 29, 2018 at 08:10 AM.
Old March 29, 2018, 08:29 PM   #54
MillCreek

My Taurus Protector Poly in .357 has arrived. Some quick initial impressions: fit and finish on the polymer is not as good as on my Ruger LCR, it is very lightweight, the cylinder release is going to need to be cycled a bit in order to loosen it up, the fiber optic front sight is quick to acquire, double-action trigger pull is much heavier than the LCR but I have confidence that it will ignite just about any primer, and the shrouded hammer is great for carry while giving a single-action option. It is pouring rain up here right now, but I did get out into the backyard and put 15 rounds of Winchester white box .38 special through it. No problems with function, timing or ejection and I am reserving judgement shooting to point of aim until I can do a more controlled test in better weather. $ 302 from Bud's plus $35 transfer from my FFL. So far, it seems to be a pretty good value for money, as are my other Taurus handguns.

MillCreek
Snohomish County, Washington USA
Old March 29, 2018, 09:16 PM   #55
HighValleyRanch

Maybe it's just me, but with the right set of custom wood grips, my 3" LCRX in .38 special looks pretty darn beautiful. I don't get all the fuss about the poly. I'm thinking that if you handed the gun to a blind person, he could not feel the difference between the polymer frame and the aluminum frame parts. The polymer is very hard, not soft.

What is most appealing about this midsize revolver is that it is SOOOOO Light!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC05075.JPG (189.0 KB, 145 views)
Old March 29, 2018, 10:40 PM   #56
Water-Man

I can speak of the LCR. I have one in 22LR, 327FedMag & 38spl. The oldest one going back to 2011. All have been 100%.

I've carried a snubby since 1968 and IMO, the LCR is the best lightweight snubby ever.
Old March 30, 2018, 01:30 PM   #57
WheelGunMan

Quote:
Maybe it's just me, but with the right set of custom wood grips, my 3" LCRX in .38 special looks pretty darn beautiful. I don't get all the fuss about the poly. I'm thinking that if you handed the gun to a blind person, he could not feel the difference between the polymer frame and the aluminum frame parts. The polymer is very hard, not soft
I must say...that is one nice looking LCRx!