The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 18, 2009, 08:55 PM   #1
Yoosta B. Blue

.38 Special loads in .357 brass

I've loaded tons of 148 gr DEWC .38 Special loads in the past couple of years and I enjoy shooting them. I remember loading a few of these DEWC bullets in .357 cases a year or so ago, and I recall making some notes about doing that. I've looked for those notes, but haven't found them.

I realize that the pressure will be lower when loading them into .357 cases, but are there any drawbacks to doing this? I ask only because I just found a bunch of primed .357 casings that I'd like to load these lighter loads in. Thanks for any help.

Yoosta B. Blue
Old October 18, 2009, 09:20 PM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

I always use the .357 cases for wadcutters in .357 chambers. I don't want the lead ring build-up that can sometimes occur in the eighth inch of space not covered by the Special case. You can clean it out easily enough, but I don't want to forget to check for it. If you shoot the Specials in your .357, check that any full-power .357 loads you subsequently chamber fall in freely. If they get snug over the last eighth inch, you may be constricting the release of the bullet enough to raise pressure significantly in the magnum load.

In the case of the wadcutter seated flush with the case mouth, raising the old standard load of Bullseye from 2.7 grains, as is traditionally prescribed for the .38 Special, to 3.0 grains in the .357 magnum will make the muzzle velocity of the two about the same. Raising it to 3.3 grains will give you about the same peak pressure, but because the total gas volume is now 20% greater, the velocity is higher than the Special load.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle

Last edited by Unclenick; October 18, 2009 at 09:27 PM.
Old October 18, 2009, 09:41 PM   #3
Levers

I have a new Henry 357 Big Boy that I have shot a few 38 specials in. I have tons of reloaded 38's for my handguns. I think I will get some 357 Brass to load for this gun however. Probably to light 38 specs for the lead bullets.

This Big Boy is a beauty, smooth as silk, would hate to screw it up.