The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 17, 2009, 07:59 PM   #1
dewcrew8

nickel or brass which one is best ???

just seening what you like? was thinking of changing out my brass for nickel , but which will last longer ? normal loads. was giving a ton of brass from my brother. once fired 38, 45 , 9 ,44 mag ,and some rifle . any thoughts out there?
Old October 17, 2009, 08:01 PM   #2
wncchester

No concrete statement is ever true for all situations in reloading but plain brass cases are easier to work with and tend to last a bit longer.
Old October 17, 2009, 08:03 PM   #3
Longdayjake

It doesnt matter.

Both are brass, but one has a nickel plating. Eventually the plating will wear off. I have noticed that the nickel ones are rougher on my dies.
Old October 17, 2009, 08:04 PM   #4
DiscoRacing

i load both nickel and brass in 9mm, and 38spcl....with the 38 I use them for +P loads..... both seem to equal in durability/times reloaded... I dont really have a preference... I use both.
Old October 17, 2009, 08:08 PM   #5
Farmland

I like the look of nickle but try to reload just brass. The nickle for me has a shorter life span and often cracks or splits after a few reloadings.
Old October 17, 2009, 08:15 PM   #6
dewcrew8

thanks guys!!! i'll just keep mix matching then.
Old October 17, 2009, 08:21 PM   #7
armsmaster270

I prefer nickel but will use both
Old October 17, 2009, 08:24 PM   #8
rjrivero

I don't treat them any differently. They just go into the rotation.
Old October 17, 2009, 08:40 PM   #9
LHB1

My experience with .44 Mag is that nickel cases flake the finish while brass cases last longer. As a result, I load mid-range loads in nickel cases and full power loads only in brass cases. Aids in case life and makes identification of loads very easy.
Old October 17, 2009, 10:43 PM   #10
CraigC

Nickel plated brass typically is more brittle and prone to cracks but not all plated brass is created equal. I've been using a bunch of nickeled Speer .44Mag cases for quite some time. Don't know how many firings but it's got to be more than 20. The plating is wearing thin or in some cases completely worn off and I have yet to discard one.
Old October 17, 2009, 11:08 PM   #11
Unclenick
Staff

That's the point I was going to emphasize. I've had both brittle flaking nickel and nickel that gradually wore off. Had one carbide die screwed up by nickel flakes wedging into it and scratching every subsequent case pretty badly. I didn't know about lapping it out back then.

I was told nickel plated brass was developed to be able to occupy leather belt loops for long periods without turning green, as can happen where the air isn't perfectly dry all the time. That was a plus when law enforcement still carried cartridges for revolvers that way. I always wondered why they didn't universally seal the primers on those nickel rounds for weather exposure, but they didn't always.

I tried nickel .308 cases one year when I was still shooting the M1A in matches. I figured it would make my brass easier to distinguish during the call to police our brass off the firing points. Instead, it turns out to reflect the color of grass with such fidelity that it acts as camouflage. I lost more of them in the grass than I ever lost having brass hogs steal it from me.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old October 17, 2009, 11:17 PM   #12
Crosshair

As others have said, nickel cases don;t last as long and ae harder on the dies. Nickel cases may sell for more money new, but many reloaders, like myself, consider them to be worth less than equivalent brass cases.
Old October 18, 2009, 11:18 AM   #13
CraigC

Nickel plated cases, if fairly fresh, do well in leather belt loops. Obviously once the nickel starts to wear off they start turning green.

I've also had a carbide die get something embedded in it and start scratching cases. Don't know that it was a flake of nickel but it was my .44Mag sizer and that's the only cartridge I use nickeled brass for so it stands to reason. RCBS replaced it for free.

I do have a box of nickeled Starline .32H&R cases just for use in belt loops but never got around to using them. Interested to see how they hold up.
Old October 18, 2009, 12:46 PM   #14
Horseman

It's destroyed a couple of my cutterheads. I don't use it anymore. Some case trimmers are better than others and don't have a problem with it.
Old October 19, 2009, 07:40 AM   #15
Magnum Wheel Man

only thing to add, is I don't tumble my nickel cases, I just wash them... I have a couple in 45 Colt for my double holster rig for my Montados, even though I shoot brass cartridges out of the guns, my gun belts loops are filled with nickel cased cartridges & I have a couple 100 in 45-70 I use them in my butt cuff cartridge holder on my guide gun, but also to seperate the hot loads used only in my Guide gun from the regular loads in brass cases used in my other 3 45-70s... I have lots of them in 357, which I've had for many years, I think they all came from once fired cses... while not really necessary, it does make them easier to tell apart from my brass 38 special cases...

... it doesn't take long to polish off the nickel using a tumbler, so I just wash all my nickel cases, which is more work than dumping them in the tumbler, so I rarely buy nickel cases, unless I have leather cartridge loops, or if they serve a specific purpose as in the 45-70...
Old October 19, 2009, 09:17 AM   #16
Unclenick
Staff

Craig,

I'm pretty sure the nickel flakes do it. The carbide itself is too hard to be bothered by softer nickel, but the way it's made for use in tools is as cemented carbide, in which the tungsten carbide powder is has its particles bound together in a matrix of cobalt or sometimes nickel. Cobalt and nickel are similar in hardness. So, if the flake lines up just wrong, it apparently can wedge into the cobalt or nickel between the edges of a couple of the particle boundaries.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old October 19, 2009, 10:32 AM   #17
CraigC

That's probably what it was then. I know I was resizing those nickeled Speer cases when the scratching started. Thanks!
Old October 19, 2009, 11:45 AM   #18
abber

I bought a bunch of "once-fired" 38 spl nickel plated brass. There were so many split case mouths, I quit looking for them, and scrapped the whole mess. Afterwards, I read somewhere that plating has a tendency to make the brass brittle. I'm no expert, but my preference is for plain ol' brass.
Old October 19, 2009, 06:52 PM   #19
Gary Wells

I haven't been shooting for about 10 years or so, just starting again, but:
I prefer nickel plated brass, once fired in one of my 3 .45's only, originally purchased new as loaded 200 gr or 185 gr swc, and reloaded as light target loads. I prefer it for only 1 reason: It is easier spotted in indoor firing ranges.
Other than that, everything stated on this thread by everybody is pretty much straight. HTH
Old October 19, 2009, 07:36 PM   #20
GeauxTide

Don't like nickel

I've used them in 357 and 44mag and they usually cracked at the necks after about 5 heavy loads. I usually get 10-15 loads with brass.
Old October 19, 2009, 07:50 PM   #21
hodaka

I like and use both. I do like the look of a nickle round loaded up with a Hornady A-Max, however.
Old October 19, 2009, 08:15 PM   #22
minniedog2

I have used both. I use the nickel for my HP so it looks like premium ammo