The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Forum Support > Site Questions and Tech Support (NO FIREARMS QUESTIONS)

Old August 7, 2019, 11:51 PM   #1
logeorge

PMs

After logging in, I went to send a member a PM. After typing it up and checking for errors, I clicked on send and a screen came up saying I was not logged in, and must do so to send a PM. The message also disappeared and I can't find it. This is the second time in a week that this has happened. Am I just not smart enough to operate this thing, or is something else wrong? L. O. George
Old August 8, 2019, 12:00 AM   #2
Aguila Blanca
Staff

When you log in, do you check the box that says [something like] "Keep me checked in"? (I don't remember exactly, because I checked it so I never see it.)

If you don't check that box, the software will automatically log you off after a certain period of inactivity. It's not a long period ... and if you have an edit window open and you spend any significant amount of time composing your message, the system sees that as inactivity because you didn't interact with it, so it logs you off.
Old August 8, 2019, 08:44 AM   #3
logeorge

PMs

OK, that's it. I never thought of that. The message I was trying to send was rather long and I'm not the best typist in the world, so it was a while between starting to type and hitting the send button. Thanks! I'll try again later.
Old August 8, 2019, 08:49 AM   #4
Mal H
Staff

What AB said.

The timeout period is 20 minutes. So if you don't check off the "Remember me" box, and you take 20 minutes or more with no system interactions, you will be logged out. If you don't want to check off the Remember me box, and there are some good reasons not to (you're on a public computer at the library, etc.) then try to remember to do something to signal the system you're still around, maybe a page refresh in a separate window, or do a PM preview, etc.