The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old January 29, 2020, 12:34 PM   #1
Perldog007

Yes the pocket Remington is worth it. One noobs POV

Pros: small. beautifully made.
Cons: small, Beautufully made.
Okay, at the risk of bieng waterboarded all of my guns look well loved. All of my Piettas came with blemishes EXCEPT this one, It was so pretty I didn't want to carry it for a kit gun.
This is where this gun shines. Basically a .22 short or long rifle in a snubby power wise depending on load. Horrible sights, meant to be pointed. Install a higher one or be good at hold over?
Kit guns got popular when people walked everywhere in the early 20th century. Small caliber, often .22 rimfire they were the Colt Pocket Pistol of the 20th century.
Many problems were resolved on the road with less than 6ft lbs of muzzle energy.
This one will group as well as you do at 30' offhand, With a taller front sight you can have a normal sight picture kinda sorta. As is you have to really hold low, and do that well to hit by aiming. Points well enough at contact ranges.
Another drawback is leather. My sweat normally doesn't bother blueing if I clean pocket guns every day. This one has a spot on the barrel from a long hot humid day. Oh well.
Holsters for these can be expensive, I modified a Jay-Pee J frame holster and cut down a calvary hoslter from Dixie a pit bull puppy had ruined. I couldn't really find anything 'off the rack' and El Paso Saddlery ain't cheap for custom work. The JayPee will now fit on a Sam Brown belt.

As a 'companion arm' for your 1858 or other belt pistol? Sure why not? I carry it sometimes in case of a need for a 'finishing shot' or other lower power requirement shooting task than my full power ball or conical load.
I mean that's a bit over the top but who are we?
Maybe there are some I missed?

Last edited by Perldog007; January 29, 2020 at 02:32 PM.
Old January 29, 2020, 01:48 PM   #2
AKexpat

I don't see any photos.

Jim
To be governed – is to be watched, inspected, directed, indoctrinated, numbered, estimated, regulated, commanded, controlled, law-driven, preached at, spied upon, censured, checked, valued, enrolled – by creatures who have neither the right, nor the wisdom, nor the virtue to do so. - Pierre-Joseph Proudhon
Old January 29, 2020, 02:07 PM   #3
Hawg

No pics.
Old January 29, 2020, 02:37 PM   #4
Perldog007

Quote:
I don't see any photos.
Couldn't tell you. Put links from a shared Google photos gallery into the image funciton and it pasted them with IMG tabs. They show up in my browser and it's a shared album. I'm missing somethign particular to here? Works at THR :/
Here is a direct link to an album of that piece. https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...NqblhJY1hSRXN3
And here some share links generated by google photos
https://photos.app.goo.gl/wJqmBpPaBXgbxTVt9
https://photos.app.goo.gl/zq5QAhX7fc7cMbXd6
https://photos.app.goo.gl/XHARHe3aNm5VuP7w9
And one more try at a shared link pic using a different generator?

Now that link doesn't give an image in my browser, the others do? I'll double check my photos settings, thanks.

Last edited by Perldog007; January 29, 2020 at 02:44 PM.
Old January 29, 2020, 03:06 PM   #5
AKexpat

Whatever you did worked. Nice Pocket Rem!
To be governed – is to be watched, inspected, directed, indoctrinated, numbered, estimated, regulated, commanded, controlled, law-driven, preached at, spied upon, censured, checked, valued, enrolled – by creatures who have neither the right, nor the wisdom, nor the virtue to do so. - Pierre-Joseph Proudhon

Tags
bp kit gun , companion revolver , remington pocket