The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old August 22, 2015, 02:32 PM   #1
Doc Hoy

Unscientific comparison of Tanfoglio and Makarov

I took two pistols to the range today for a little fun.

One was a Russian Makarov in .380 and the other was an older Tanfoglio also in .380.

In my hands the Italian pistol is not in the same league as the Mak.

I can't shoot the T as accurately as the M. This probably has more to do with me than with the pistol. The Tanfoglio is somewhat older than the Russian. Bore is good but I never slugged the bore to find out how the bullet is engaging the rifling.

At 25 yards I can keep the rounds in a torso sized target shooting fairly fast with the Makarov. I can't do that with the Tanfoglio.

Another pain in the neck with the Italian pistol is that the spent cases eject into the next zip code. I built a shooting station which is enclosed with screen everywhere but toward the target. Then I lay a huge tarp in front of the bench to catch brass. While shooting the Tanfoglio I lost about half of my brass. (And I don't have much .380. ;o( ). The Makarov kicked all of the spent brass into the screen to the right of the firing position.

I had a great day. I don't want to let the Tanfoglio go (I almost never sell any of my firearms) but I will definitely think hard the next time I am tempted to shoot it.
Old August 22, 2015, 07:39 PM   #2
Doc Hoy

Failed to mention....

Tanfoglio is a GT380
Old August 22, 2015, 09:40 PM   #3
gyvel

Doc, the Tanfoglios are serviceable and reliable, but are a mediocre pistol at best. I found the steel used to be somewhat mild, definitely not for a lot of hard use.

The basic design is more or less a mechanical copy of a Spanish Ruby of the WWI and after era, which is simple and cheap to manufacture.

The biggest problem I found with both the .32 and .380 Tanfoglios is the ejector, which is not real sturdy and bends very easily.

The Makarov, on the other hand, is designed for hard military use, is made of generally better materials, and was subjected to extensive testing.

I think the GT380 is a perfect car gun as I don't see you putting a lot of rounds through it. As long as you have a good mag, it will always feed.

I've owned a couple in the past as fun guns (even the .25 version), but never used them for anything serious where my life depended on them.

As always, YMMV.
SIFE
Old August 23, 2015, 06:14 AM   #4
Doc Hoy

I have this one

and an Excam .25 from Tanfoglio.

Both of them fit your description. The .380 might be a little better in terms of quality.

It was interesting doing this side-by-side comparison.
Old August 23, 2015, 08:14 PM   #5
gyvel

I think, as I said, as long as you have a good magazine the pistols will feed and fire just fine. They are a simple design, and, generally speaking, "simple" usually means proven and reliable.
SIFE
Old August 24, 2015, 01:30 PM   #6
Doc Hoy

I put probly about 20 or 25 rounds....

...through the GT-380.

Not even a hiccup.

I just couldn't hit anything wif it.