The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old January 25, 2006, 07:11 PM   #1
Gary Conner

Western field Model M822 Magnum WMR rifle question

Guys, I need some advice.
A rancher buddy of mine has the above described .22 magnum bolt action rifle.

The problem (and it is a HUGE problem) is when you load this rifle, and lock the bolt, it fires. (without pulling the trigger)

First, does anyone have the breakdown instructions for a Western Field M822 bolt action .22 magnum rifle?

Second, has anyone ever seen this problem with a bolt action rifle before?

I want to take the trigger assembly etc. apart, and clean it and redo it, and see if that fixes it, but realize it is probably a broken part or worn part, but since I have never worked on this type of gun, I sure would appreciate input. It has been rattling around in his truck for years and he asked me to refinish and reblue it, and see if I can determine why it is going off when you load a round in it, and close the bolt.
Old January 25, 2006, 08:28 PM   #2
RJay

It really sounds as if the firing pin is stuck in such a posistion that when you close the bolt it is forced against the shell with enought force to fire it. The Western Field 822 translates into the Mossberg 640K. The Gun Digest Book of Firearms Assembly and Disassembly, Part III, Rimfire Rifles has the disassembly instrutions. You can order this from www. e-gunparts.com and have it three or four days. Me, I wouldn't even touch it untill I had the instrutions in hand. I just realized I need a new copy, mine is so old it's turning yellow and coming loose from the binding.
Old January 25, 2006, 11:10 PM   #3
Gary Conner

Rjay:
Thanks. You may be right about the pin just being stuck. I didn't think about that, but now that you mention it, it probably is.
Old January 27, 2006, 04:04 PM   #4
Gary Conner

Rjay:
Sure enought, that was exactly what it was. The darned firing pin was rusted into the firing position, so each time he closed the action, it fired.

He is a rancher, and kept the thing in his truck floorboard, mud, water, crap, etc. all the time, and it was in terrible shape.

I reblued the barrel for him after sanding, polishing, etc. sanded down the stock and refinished it, stained it, and put two coats of satin poly on it, and it looks like a new rifle.

He didn't believe it was the same gun when I got through with it. (I gave him a bottle of gun oil, and explained that if you put that stuff on your metal parts, they won't rust)

Anyway, he is a real happy camper just to have it safe again. I really appreciate your help.

Gary