The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old June 9, 2018, 04:17 PM   #1
WyMark

Because.......Florida!

http://www.tampabay.com/florida-poli...ouldnt-log-in/

Quote:
For more than a year, the state of Florida failed to conduct national background checks on tens of thousands of applications for concealed weapons permits, potentially allowing drug addicts or people with a mental illness to carry firearms in public.
The person in charge of background checks forgot their password and wasn't able to log into NICS, so Florida just simply didn't do background checks for CC permits. Makes sense I guess, I'm sure getting that password reset would be a pain anyway.
Old June 9, 2018, 05:17 PM   #2
DaleA

It cracks me up when the gun control crowd is crying for stiffer background checks (military crimes not reported, crimes in different states not reported etc. etc. etc.) and saying the pro gun folk are so dead set against any strengthening of the system.

Well as a pro gun guy I thought we ALREADY HAD THESE CHECKS IN PLACE!!!

My completely reasonable position is that we (pro gun folk) have already caved/agreed to the NICS system and if the folk implementing it can't implement it CORRECTLY/COMPETENTLY then don't come asking for even MORE laws/restrictrictions.
Old June 9, 2018, 06:49 PM   #3
MTT TL

Wow. Pure failure. How hard could it have been to reset a password?
Old June 9, 2018, 09:12 PM   #4
Mike38

Quote:
How hard could it have been to reset a password?
If it's anything like where I work, you inform IT. In about 3 to 4 days (I'm not joking) they finally show up. If you ask them to expedite, you can double that time. Being this was a Government IT employee, ten fold the wait.
Old June 10, 2018, 02:56 AM   #5
Don Dayacetah

Now, as long as it didn't interrupt her playing Freecell, it's not a issue, is it?
If she was sitting at her desk, acting like she's doing what she's paid for, what's
the problem? When she let's somebody bad slip thru, and they do something awful, they are just going to blame
the NRA and law-abiding gun owners, anyway. So what's the diff?
Old June 10, 2018, 07:00 AM   #6
thallub

Quote:
so Florida just simply didn't do background checks for CC permits.
The criminal background checks were run. Mental and drug related checks were not.

Quote:
Keller added that the NICS database is used for "non-criminal disqualifying offenses" and during this time, the state conducted criminal background checks using two other databases, the Florida Crime Information Center database and the National Crime Information Center database.
Yep, some genius delegated the responsibility to the mail clerk.

The former head of the Florida Dep't of Agriculture is now running for governor.

Quote:
The state used the national system to see if there were reasons such as mental illness or drug addictions that should prevent someone from being issued a concealed-weapons permit.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...=.10f91a9cbda6
Old June 10, 2018, 07:01 AM   #7
Tom Servo
Staff

OK, so here's my question: from February 2016 to March 2017, a slew of permits were issued without background checks being performed. It's been a year. How many crimes have been committed by recipients of those permits?

What's that? None? Yep.

Given the rabid anti-gun climate in the media, had one of these permit recipients so much as received a parking ticket, it would be all over the place.

The presence of a background check system does nothing to deter mass shooters. The absence of background checks doesn't appear to encourage criminal behavior. Remember this when they keep pushing for more such checks.
Old June 10, 2018, 07:10 AM   #8
FITASC

Quote:
In a statement Friday night, Putnam said "a criminal background investigation was completed on every single application."
Quote:
"Upon discovery of this former employee's negligence in not conducting the further review required on 365 applications, we immediately completed full background checks on those 365 applications, which resulted in 291 revocations," Putnam said in the statement.
Quote:
Keller added that the NICS database is used for "non-criminal disqualifying offenses" and during this time, the state conducted criminal background checks using two other databases, the Florida Crime Information Center database and the National Crime Information Center database.
And why is this coming out now?- Politics

Quote:
But new details about his agency’s lax oversight come after his campaign has weathered criticism of Putnam’s full embrace of gun rights.

In a tweet posted last July — and a month after investigators found that his office had botched thousands of background checks — Putnam claimed he was a "Proud NRA sellout".
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old June 10, 2018, 07:22 AM   #9
MTT TL

Esteban Santiago-Ruiz had a permit. It was issued in 2012 though. There is no shortage of people with concealed carry permits that commit heinous crimes.

On the flip side since criminals were not aware that there the check system was not being used there is no reason why they would put in for a permit. I imagine that many of the people who put in for a permit and get denied are unaware that they are not eligible, certainly those denied in error were not aware.

Law abiding, sane people at age 21 tend to be law biding, sane people most of their lives.
Old June 10, 2018, 12:47 PM   #10
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Servo
OK, so here's my question: from February 2016 to March 2017, a slew of permits were issued without background checks being performed. It's been a year. How many crimes have been committed by recipients of those permits?

What's that? None? Yep.

Given the rabid anti-gun climate in the media, had one of these permit recipients so much as received a parking ticket, it would be all over the place.

The presence of a background check system does nothing to deter mass shooters. The absence of background checks doesn't appear to encourage criminal behavior. Remember this when they keep pushing for more such checks.
And the Pulse nightclub shooter had a security guard card. Are those also issued by the Department of Agriculture, or are those issued through a law enforcement agency in Florida?
Old June 12, 2018, 11:12 AM   #11
MTT TL

As it turns out the number of permits issued without any background check was under 400. NCIC and FCIC were both checked. NCIS was not checked in 365 cases.
Old June 15, 2018, 09:58 AM   #12
P5 Guy

Quote:
As it turns out the number of permits issued without any background check was under 400. NCIC and FCIC were both checked. NCIS was not checked in 365 cases.
Tampa Bay Times greatly exaggerated this story, as per their standard operating procedures.
Old June 19, 2018, 04:01 PM   #13
bn12gg

Time to get real on background checks -- no State check ALL sales need to stop.

.02 David.
Old June 19, 2018, 05:02 PM   #14
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Time to get real on background checks -- no State check ALL sales need to stop.
???
Old June 20, 2018, 12:41 AM   #15
Scorch

People- the weak link in the system for the past 3 million years . . .
Old June 20, 2018, 05:58 AM   #16
AirForceShooter

It was ONE person processing 300 CCW applications. He did out of the 4 checks required.
In the same period the State of Florida processed over 300,00 applications.

This was a drop in the bucket.

AFS
Old June 20, 2018, 06:29 AM   #17
Don P

Quote:
And the Pulse nightclub shooter had a security guard card. Are those also issued by the Department of Agriculture, or are those issued through a law enforcement agency in Florida?
Department of Agriculture issues all permits for security guards, CCW and all other training certification regarding firearms and security instructing.
Crazy thing about it is when you go to renew your CCW in person or you security licenses you cannot use your CCW permit as identification. Go figure
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old June 20, 2018, 07:52 AM   #18
FITASC

I renewed mine by mail, no problem
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old June 20, 2018, 01:28 PM   #19
T. O'Heir

Anything like that ever happened up here, the entire government would just stop. If there's just one unelected civil servant doing the job and he/she/it is on holidays, their job doesn't get done until they're back either.
The real question is why does the Department of Agriculture have anything to do with CCW permits?
Old June 20, 2018, 03:22 PM   #20
Scorch

Quote:
The real question is why does the Department of Agriculture have anything to do with CCW permits?
Oh, no. Somebody asked "the question".
Old June 22, 2018, 03:38 PM   #21
TailGator

Quote:
I've lived in Florida for decades and I have a hard time answering that question. As close as I can come is to point out that it is the Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services. Surveyors, fair rides, auto repair, and private investigators come under their purview. I'm not saying that concealed weapons permits necessarily fit, only that they have a portfolio of oddball stuff. It seems like the "consumer services" part makes the legislature dump stuff there that doesn't fit somewhere else. Not a great explanation, but the best I can come up with.

I will say, the relatively recent capability of renewing CWPs at local tax collector's office makes it fast and easy. My local tax collector has a separate little private room they take you, and you walk out with the laminated photo ID in your wallet.