The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old May 28, 2018, 03:44 PM   #1
napg19

Ruger AR556 gas key

Seriously considering buying a Ruger AR556. I am reading articles on how the gas key is staked differently than say on a Smith & Wesson M&P AR. The staking is possible done by a hydraulic press and does not have enough metal pressed into the bolt head grooves. Has any one with a Ruger had any problems with the gas key, an possible any other problems with this AR.
Always eager to learn from others with experience and all responses appreciated. Thanks.
Old May 28, 2018, 04:27 PM   #2
marine6680

If you are smart enough to ask about them on a forum...

You are smart enough to spend the same money on an Aero Precision.

In all seriousness, the Ruger works fine from most reports. If staking isn't to your liking, then you can correct that with a hammer and punch.

The SW Sport II is probably a bit better on the whole, due to being a bit better on the specs.

For the same money, I would go with a basic Aero Precision, unless you just want to get something local.
Old May 28, 2018, 08:10 PM   #3
stagpanther

I wouldn't worry about it unless you have compelling evidence you're losing pressure with a bad key seal. I'm sure it happens--but I bet it's a lot more rare than people make it sound. As for the hammer and punch method--I've read about that too--my experience has been with today's hardened steel--you'll be lucky if you get meaningful results beyond putting some scuffs and dents in your carrier (maybe I'm uncordinated, hahah). They cost a bit--but a key staking tool is well worth it. You might even consider replacing your key with an adjustable one if your going to that trouble.
Old May 28, 2018, 11:10 PM   #4
riffraff

Seems like if you are buying something & already planning on changing it around a bunch, just doesn't add up cost-wise.

A complete Aero lower, their enhanced version, runs something like $200. Paying retail price for their enhanced free float upper w/ BCG & CH is < $600.. That's gonna be a few notches above the Ruger without any real assembly/tinkering required.

Or of course you could buy a whole rifle from Aero too, or of course you could get that or the above during a sale like has been going on this weekend for 15% less and the price is going to be very close to what you will pay for the Ruger for a lot more rifle.

I've got a Ruger AR556 and honestly never used the upper, still is sitting there with the factory grease on it - got no use for another flat top + iron sight setup like that, was cheap & an impulse buy that I very well might make again if presented the same way...

Lower-wise the trigger is really heavy and mine requires a firm smack to assure the mags are locked in - not quite sure it's a defect just what I've noticed, taught me to smack the mags every time...

Seems well put together other than the little mag quirk - don't think Ruger is known to ship junk, but not sure I'd seek one out unless it's your first AR. Personally I don't understand the flat top w/ sight on the gas block, although it's very standard. I'd rather have an upper receiver w/ a built in carry handle if I'm gonna have a "permanent" iron sight - which very well might be the fate of my AR556 upper if I ever notice a good deal on a carry handle upper receiver.
Old May 28, 2018, 11:41 PM   #5
ed308

I doubt you'll have a problem. I've only needed to remove only one gas key and that was in the early 90's. I only needed to replace it since it was out of round causing the AR to double or triple fire. Stupid me, I remove the gas key and installed another one. Never staked either. And it's never come loose either, after thousands of rounds too. If you want to do it right, Brownells tool will do it for you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3ocIfzf4MI
Old May 29, 2018, 08:32 AM   #6
kymasabe

If I'm not mistaken, we're talking about the gas key on the BCG right? If so, why not just replace the whole bcg? Upgrade to something like the Aim Surplus EXO Nickel Boron , or Toolcraft makes nice bcg's and can be found affordably at toms tactical or Joe Bob's Outfitters. My Toolcraft nitride coated and PSA's are perfectly staked. Keep the Ruger one as a spare.
Old May 29, 2018, 09:44 AM   #7
PlatinumCore16

I may or may not have a Ruger AR556 and I have had no issues.
Including after a few mag dumps this weekend (I'm so sorry barrel, it wasn't your fault)
Old May 29, 2018, 06:58 PM   #8
riffraff

Am not pushing the brand or trying to steer you away from Ruger but just by coincidence I picked up 4 Aero lowers that I ordered today and one of those is a complete enhanced AR15 version. I can't tell you what's different about it exactly other than it's much lighter but wow is the trigger better than the stock triggers I'm used to.
Old May 30, 2018, 10:11 AM   #9
pblanc

The bolt carrier group of the Ruger AR 556 has been criticized on two counts. The most common gripe is the fact that the firing pin is not shrouded. But ineffective staking of the machine screws on the gas key has also been a common gripe.

An unshrouded firing pin can result in deformation or breakage of the firing pin retaining pin (cotter pin) and possibly peening of the firing pin collar.

Unstaked machine screws on the gas key could conceivably cause it to loosen over time.

Frankly, although these concerns have some validity, the amount of hot air that these issues have generated vastly outweigh any real adverse consequences. Cotter pins are easily replaced and cost a dollar or less. Firing pins are also not very expensive. As for the gas key, I do not recall anyone saying they have had a Ruger AR 556 gas key loosen.

I own a Ruger AR 556 and I examine the gas key, firing pin, and firing pin retaining pin every time I clean the BC. I have seen no evidence of the gas key bolts moving, no evidence of cotter pin deformation and no evidence of firing pin collar peening.