The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old June 5, 2018, 08:45 AM   #1
stalkuk

Tikka T3 tactical or Remington 700 in an accuracy international stock

I'm looking at these two rifles for a do it all .308 rifle. Both are new, the accuracy international stock is second hand but already fitted to the Remington barrelled action and does add cost to the rifle.

Be for range and hunting. What are people views on this one??? Essentially I'd say the tikka is a better rifle but the accuracy international stock is a real appeal. Are they worth it?
Old June 5, 2018, 09:44 AM   #2
precision_shooter

I wouldn’t trade my Tikka CTR for any Remington no matter what stock it’s in. Trigger, while it can be replaced on the Remi, is very good and adjustable on the Tikka. It breaks very crisp with no overtravel or creep. Tikka comes with an accuracy guarantee, not that you need it, and the action is much smoother and with a shorter bolt lift on the Tikka at 70°. The tikka barrels are second to none where Remington is hit or miss.
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776

Last edited by precision_shooter; June 6, 2018 at 05:43 AM.
Old June 5, 2018, 09:00 PM   #3
Bottom Gun

I hate to say it because I like the 700s but these days getting a good shooting Remington is a crap shoot. You can be confident the Tikka will shoot at least as good as a good shooting Remington and will usually be more accurate. I own both.
You will be hard pressed to find better shooting rifles than Sako or Tikka. I've been shooting Sako rifles for over 40 yr and have found them to be some of the finest rifles I have ever used. I believe Tikka uses the same barrels.
Check some of the reviews and you'll find quite a few folks talking smack about Remington but I have yet to read a bad review of Tikka rifles.

Mechanical engineers have their moments.
Old June 6, 2018, 09:15 PM   #4
Bronco4me

I like the Remy 5R in the AI stock, but I'd also put a Timney CE trigger on it too.
Old June 8, 2018, 05:21 PM   #5
Wendyj

I've got both the Remington milspec and 4 Tikkas. There are no bad Tikkas.
Old June 11, 2018, 01:33 PM   #6
cw308

I'm a die hard Remington guy . My Rem700 started out as the LTR. in 308 . It was a shooter from the start , I changer the HS Precision stock to the full size HS Precision stock on the 700P , then a trigger change to a Jewell . Getting 1/2" groups at 200 yards , only using it for benchrest . After 4000+ rounds down the tube , went for a barrel change to a Rock Creek M24 5R match and complete blueprinted job . It's my one an only rifle , not even interested in shooting another rifle that's how much I enjoy shooting it . I have 2600+ through it an still going strong . The only thing you have to do with a bolt action is check torque settings on the stock , maybe change the firing pin spring if shot alot , flush out the trigger , Remingtons are very easy to maintain . Most cases the rifle could shoot better the us .
Old June 12, 2018, 09:49 AM   #7
jonnyc

TT3
Old June 12, 2018, 12:22 PM   #8
precision_shooter

Diehard Remington fan? You have nothing left that is Remington besides the bolt and action... so you’re a Remington bolt/action fan, and it’s a good platform to start with, but you have to plan on replacing pretty much everything wxcept the bolt and action with another brand. I haven’t changed anything on my Tikka and it will shoot as good if not better than any Remington ever made.
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776
Old June 13, 2018, 08:42 PM   #9
cw308

precision_shooter
How many rounds down your Tikka ? It's the only CF rifle I shoot . Never get tired of shooting it it's my one an only . I only shoot benchrest , that's why I changed the trigger , it's set at 10 ounces . No stock trigger is safe to lower that low . I'm sure if I started benchrest with your Tikka I would feel the same way . Barrels will wear out , I changed mine after 4000+ ,was still shooting good groups but was afraid it would crap mid season so to play it safe in the winter changed to a match barrel , completely blueprinted the rifle to remove the rifle from my list of excuses for a crappy group . Remingtons are easy to improve or replace worn out or broken parts . Things will wear out an break , Remington parts aren't hard to find . As for the stock , what really makes a rifle model , I would think only the action anyway . . We add mounts , scopes , breaks & bi-pods . Don't mind me I just ramble on . I like my Remington just as much as you like your Tikka . Good Shooter's both of them I'm sure.

Chris
Old June 14, 2018, 11:54 AM   #10
precision_shooter

cw308, I can only assume you’ve never played with a CZ rifle with set trigger. They have the best adjustable triggers I’ve ever played with. Everything is adjustable, creep, pull weight, overtravel. I have my CZ 527 trigger set at 14 oz pull for the standard pull and then set to 11 oz for the set trigger pull. I like light triggers, but more important than pull weight is predictability. The ability to remover the creep or take up a trigger has and know that as soon as it moves it’s going to break every single time. My Tikka doesn’t have the lightest pull, but it is for sure consistent and breaks like a glass rod with no creep every time the trigger is pulled.
Happy shooting.
Old June 14, 2018, 02:56 PM   #11
cw308

precision_shooter
I have a CZ 452 Varmint in 22lr. best 22 I ever owned , haven't had a chance to handle a CF CZ sound nice , if I ever get the etch for another would look into a CZ in 6.5 CM for now I'm still Remington but that CZ trigger sounds very interesting . A good trigger in most cases seals the deal . The CZ trigger on my 22 wasn't so nice , installed a adjustable sear kit , it turned in to a great trigger . Believe it or not I couldn't use a 22 Cal. cleaning rod the bore is smaller , had to use a one piece Dewey 20 Cal. rod & jag. Nit shoots one hole groups all day , great rifle .