The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old November 16, 2017, 01:35 PM   #1
TracerTesterman

I love Elephants but we need to kill them, eat their flesh, and wear their skins.

https://workingclassreader.com/2017/...r-their-skins/

I had time during my lunch break today.

I'm fairly new to hunting. (5 deer in 10 years) So let me know if I'm terribly off.

But if anyone wants to go to Africa, play with the locals, maybe over throw a dictator, and shoot the wildlife - I'm in.
Old November 16, 2017, 01:52 PM   #2
TXAZ

I’m down with your second objective.

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old November 16, 2017, 01:54 PM   #3
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

H&Hhunter has made enough hunting trips to Africa that he is now occasionally invited by game officers to join them in culling hunts.

https://www.thehighroad.org/index.ph...o-hear.189864/
Old November 16, 2017, 02:03 PM   #4
TracerTesterman

Quote:
H&Hhunter has made enough hunting trips to Africa that he is now occasionally invited by game officers to join them in culling hunts.

https://www.thehighroad.org/index.ph...o-hear.189864/
I'll have to read that later tonight, that's pretty awesome. I used to spend a lot of time at THR, but I've drifted away from the forums over the years.
Old November 16, 2017, 02:15 PM   #5
FITASC

A good friend of mine is in the business of setting up hunts for clients (VERY WEALTHY) clients and has made over 35 safaris to Africa. He has seen first-hand what happens when legal hunting is curtailed based on emotion and not facts.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old November 16, 2017, 04:16 PM   #6
jmr40

Not at all opposed to anyone hunting Africa, it just doesn't appeal to me. As long as a game animal is not in danger of extinction and someone else has the money, then good for them.

Good to hear that they can legally bring the trophies back again.

Winston Churchill
Old November 16, 2017, 05:28 PM   #7
Husqvarna

I fully support trophy hunting, I've done it within Europe

elephants needs to be hunted in many cases and it should be totally legal

I couldn't do it myself thou ): to disneyfied I guess, they are so smart and emotional
Old November 17, 2017, 03:52 AM   #8
armoredman

There were bleeding hearts thinking some years ago about importing African elephants to set them loose in southern AZ and New Mexico...
Old November 17, 2017, 04:46 AM   #9
Model12Win

I don't really get the point of trophy hunting, especially for animals that are largely docile (not saying elephants are), but the article has a good point.
Old November 17, 2017, 07:48 AM   #10
TracerTesterman

I've seen a lot of animosity towards African trophy hunting because:

"Evil rich people!"

And to me that's ridiculous. You shouldn't hate an entire class of people simply because they are more wealthy than you.

To me, as long as rich people aren't breaking laws or doing immoral things, I'm all for it. And I intend to join them as soon as I can.

That being said, I've been called several unflattering names for writing this article now. Enh. Can't make everyone happy. But the vilification of hunting irks me to no end. I have family members who think hunting is some sort of horrific crime against nature, and the 'bigger' or 'prettier' the animal - the more offended they are.

I guess we can't all go out and be the Orkin man.
Old November 17, 2017, 07:49 AM   #11
eastbank

I,m no expert, but have hunted five times in several African counties and have take 61 game animals and I,m here to tell you if hunting is banned in all of Africa, in several generations most animals will disappear. eaten by the hungry or killed by the greedy for horn-hides or just for the hell of it. eastbank.
Old November 17, 2017, 12:00 PM   #12
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Tracer, always remember that only the hunter is a do-it-yourselfer in providing his meat. All others merely hire paid killers to do their dirty work for them.

(When I'm enjoying a good steak, I always smile at the thought of that wonderful butcher. )
Old November 17, 2017, 12:05 PM   #13
Pahoo

To each, his own

Quote:
Not at all opposed to anyone hunting Africa, it just doesn't appeal to me.
Nor to me but would not be critical of those who choose to do so, as longs as it's done in a lawful and ethical manner. I don't need much of a reason to hunt and kill any animal but I still need a reason to do so. We read about hunting the "Big" five, or is it six? No matter and it's not worth my time or money.

A good friend of mine, has a full-mount Zebra in his den. It's quite a conversation piece and hope he didn't see me shaking my head, the first time I saw it. .......

Be Safe !!!
Old November 17, 2017, 01:42 PM   #14
eastbank

beats having your mother in law stuffed and put in your den. eastbank.
Old November 17, 2017, 06:02 PM   #15
Mainah

If there was a way to make African Elephants docile it would have been found by now. After a few safari rides in Africa I personally would never shoot one and display a trophy. But I realize that having them on my property and grazing would be a challenge. And I support the policy change if it protects elephants as a species.
Old November 17, 2017, 06:55 PM   #16
ShootistPRS

The concept that most anti-hunters don't understand is that wild animals don't die of old age. Every day they live is a contest between being killed and staying alive. If they are injured or get old they fall prey to the predators and scavengers. Neither of those groups hold the paws of the suffering or dying animal speaking softly to it. They start eating it while it is still alive.That is how the predators stay alive and if they get injured or live to old age they get the same treatment from other predators or scavengers. Nature is not a vacation or a peaceful retreat from mankind. It is a daily struggle to stay alive. Just ask one of the many hunters who have been attacked by the deer they were hunting.
Old November 17, 2017, 07:29 PM   #17
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

The hunter's concern is the continuation of a species. The anti-hunter, knowing little of the dynamics of wildlife ecology, is emotionally concerned about individual animals.

Cecil the lion is a case in point. It is little known that the government there did some culling of lion populations afterwards.
Old November 17, 2017, 09:00 PM   #18
ShootistPRS

This conversation reminds me of the ant-gun/hunter folks who turned rabidly mad on an actor who had his picture taken holding his rifle with a supposedly dead Triceratops and proudly wearing a big smile. Someone pointed out that the animals had been extinct for 65 million years and the crowd was infuriated that he had shot an animal that was extinct.
I just wondered at the level of education that these folks represented. Are all leftists so uneducated that they can't see beyond their fears?

(that's a rhetorical question)
Old November 18, 2017, 01:48 AM   #19
armoredman

I wouldn't mind going to certain countries in Africa to hunt if I A), knew anything ABOUT big game hunting, B), had a rifle remotely capable of the job, (thinking my CZ527 in 7.62x39mm might be a wee bit inadequate), and C), had the disposable cash to take the trip in the first place. Then again, I might be spending more time "shooting" thing with my camera than the rifle.
Old November 18, 2017, 08:11 AM   #20
thallub

After some serious pushback from congress, president Trump has delayed implementation of this policy:

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politi...id=HPCOMMDHP15
Old November 19, 2017, 03:40 AM   #21
Geezerbiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by armoredman View Post
There were bleeding hearts thinking some years ago about importing African elephants to set them loose in southern AZ and New Mexico...
Goo thing they didn't. Can you imaging the invasive species problem with critters that big....
Old November 19, 2017, 09:22 PM   #22
thallub

Today president Trump called elephant hunting a horror show:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.d6ddba20f554
Old November 20, 2017, 11:45 AM   #23
TracerTesterman

Sigh.

I wonder who changed his mind? I thought Donald Trump Jr. was a hunter with African experience?
Old November 23, 2017, 01:09 AM   #24
armoredman

Donald J Trump was also supposed to help push along the HPA - haven't seen any effort there, either.
Old April 29, 2018, 09:55 AM   #25
lt dan

Very late to the debate, but being from Africa, I can simply say please come and hunt elephants