The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 6, 2009, 10:51 AM   #1
TRguy

Taper crimp 7.5x55 Swiss????

Taper crimp 7.5x55 Swiss????

Okay loading this round I am getting conflicting information.

Some guys are saying crimp and others saying no need.

I use Lee Factory Crimp Dies on all my rifle cartridges, I bought a FCD for the Swiss cartridge.

What say you? Yay or Nay and whyyyyyyy?
Old October 6, 2009, 05:45 PM   #2
hodaka

An extra step that is unnecessary although it probably doesn't hurt anything. I only crimp for pistol cartridges or ones that load in a tubular magazine.
Old October 6, 2009, 06:38 PM   #3
ligonierbill

What bullets? If there is no cannelure, why bother? That said, I loaded some 150 Speers for my brother, no cannelure or crimp. He took it deer hunting on a cold, wet, nasty Clinton County Pennsylvania day and managed to pull the bullet out of the case when he unloaded. Got some moisture in there that froze! Yeah, the COL was spec. If I load any more hunting bullets for him (probably not - that's a heavy beast to cart up the mountain), I'll get some with a cannelure and crimp 'em. If you are going to the range, I wouldn't worry.
Old October 6, 2009, 08:01 PM   #4
lonniemike

ligonierbill, What is your spec for COL? Almost every manual which has any info for the Swiss(many to most manuals have no data) 7.5X55 will be for the much longer throated 1911 models. Typically a manual will show a COL of about 3.060", which would be correct for a 1911 type action. The problem is that most new Swiss shooters aren't using 11 types but are shooting the K-31actions and the COL for this 31 type will be considerably less, like maybe 2.8 to 2.9" unless you are using Swiss mil projectiles or Berger VLD's.
The Lee Fac Crimp Die can crimp on a bullet anywhere, even on those bullets without a cannelure.
Old October 6, 2009, 08:13 PM   #5
ligonierbill

I used Hornady, and yes, they tested a Model 11. However, I did ensure that I was not touching the lands with a dummy round. What COL do you set? My other brother left me his K31, and the same rounds did very well at the range. Nice rifle, good sights, and very accurate.
Old October 7, 2009, 11:03 PM   #6
Dave R

The one thing I learned from swissrifles.com was DO NOT trust the COL specifications. They only apply to the GP11 projectile. The only way to be sure in your rifle is to test for contact with the lands, either by candling or dry-erase marker, etc.

I used that method to find the right length for my favorite 150gr bullet, and it has performed well ever since.

Took my K-31 on my first hog hunt and took my first hog with it.

I do NOT crimp. My bullet has no cannelure, and I've never seen the need to crimp.
Old October 8, 2009, 07:32 PM   #7
ligonierbill

I checked my log, and I loaded to 2.9 COL. Hornady loaded 2.910. I should add that I got an avg of 2,646 with Speer 150 (52.8 IMR 4350) and 2,539 with Hornady 165 (51.4). Really a nice shooting rifle.