The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old December 31, 2015, 03:03 AM   #1
chris in va

ACOG question

A guy next to me let me try his AR with some form of Trijicon ACOG today. It did say 'Trijicon' on the side. The flip iron sight was folded down and you could tell it would just barely clear the bell when flipped.

I'm used to my 4x scope which has a nice full view at comfortable cheek weld. This thing though...yikes. With the stock at two clicks out and my nose just past the charging handle, the 'window' was at best about 1/4 view and all I really saw was the lit triangle. I had to take off my glasses and almost put eyeball on glass before I could get more than 1/2 view.

Is this normal for the ACOG? I asked him about that and he said his nose is well past the charging handle and puts his eye socket right on the bell.
Old January 2, 2016, 02:24 AM   #2
Kwikvette

"Bell"?.....not sure I follow.

Depending which model it is, each will have their own sweet spot when it comes to eye-relief.

I own both a TA31 and TA11 and the TA31 is more of a nose-to-charging handle kind of scope whereas my TA11 gives you about 3-4" of eye-relief (which I love).
Old January 2, 2016, 07:50 AM   #3
AMX

Those scopes are built for the M16/M4 family so they expect you to shoot nose to charging handle with them. There isn't enough recoil in those weapons to put that scope in your eye. It probably wouldn't take you long to get used to it.
Old January 7, 2016, 04:04 AM   #4
chris in va

That's my point though, it wasn't "nose to handle", more like "teeth on handle". The eyepiece had to be almost right on my eyeball to get a full view.
Old January 7, 2016, 05:28 AM   #5
Sharkbite

Hey Chris...long time

Ive used a "mini" AGOG on deployment with DoS. I don't remember model #, but it was the little one with the triangle reticle.

Even with shooting glasses on, i still had a comfortable amout of eye relief. Of course the State Dept, in its infinite wisdom, mounted the darn thing ON TOP of the carry handle. So, there was no getting a check weld. More like a chin weld.

But, still plenty of room between my eye and the rear lens. Im wondering if your friend didnt buy one of the cheap, counterfeit ones. Ive heard that eye relief on those can be a problem. Just a guess.

BTW..i love the Aimpoint PRO
Old January 7, 2016, 06:59 AM   #6
Nathan

You cannot use a flip up BUIS and an ACOG. An ACOG only has aboyt 1.5-2.5" of eye relief. It has to be mounted all the way to the rear. To shoot up close, you use the both eye open bindan aiming concept where one eye looks at the reticle and the other at the target. Closing the scope cap helps training.
Old January 22, 2016, 07:59 PM   #7
chris in va

Quote:
You cannot use a flip up BUIS and an ACOG. An ACOG only has aboyt 1.5-2.5" of eye relief.
Ah, that explains it. I suspect he didn't know how to mount it.
Old January 23, 2016, 04:55 AM   #8
Theohazard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkbite
Ive used a "mini" AGOG on deployment with DoS. I don't remember model #, but it was the little one with the triangle reticle.

Even with shooting glasses on, i still had a comfortable amout of eye relief.
The Mini ACOGs I've seen were just 1.5 power and had a huge amount of eye relief, a lot more than the standard 4 power ACOGs.
Old January 26, 2016, 05:00 AM   #9
mellow_c

With an ACOG, you really need to be paying attention to the magnification and the eye relief for the particular model and how you intend to use it... otherwise you might end up in a situation like the guy your are talking about.

I think the ACOG was awesome in its time, but recently with the adjustable zoom optics that provide a solid 1-6x with an illuminated reticle of some form or another, at a similar price point, the fixed power tritium and fiber optic based ACOGs are starting to fade in popularity (Pun intended!!!)

I will say this. If you know what you are using it for, and it applies to that situation well, the ACOG optics in all reality can be the best thing available. But most people are looking for a little more versatility these days, and with all the other options available, I think there is good reason for that.