The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 29, 2010, 07:01 PM   #1
ChileVerde1

Any experiences installing ghost rings on an 870?

Anyone had aftermarket sights (ghost rings) installed on their Remington 870?
if so, any recommendations on brand, cost, gunsmith (in Florida hopefully), and any other experience with the process. I'm also wondering, since my 870 has a baked on finish, whether or not I'll have to refinish after the process?

I did a search on the forum prior to asking you guys with no luck prior to my post. Also, I'm not sure if this question would be better addressed in the gunsmithing forum?

Art
Old January 29, 2010, 07:08 PM   #2
oneounceload

If you're having gunsmith install it, he should finish it as well.
Old January 29, 2010, 07:36 PM   #3
Lee Lapin

Front sights on serious shotguns need to be silver soldered on. That will require a refinish on the barrel when it's done.

Rear sights just need drilling and tapping a couple of holes in the receiver to install. Not too complicated there, but the holes need to line up with the holes in the sight, and be in the right place so the rear sight lines up with the front sight. 8^)

Of all the GR sights out there, so far I still like MMCs best. And I don't like tritium- a white or gold bar down the middle of the front ramp is better IMO. A good 'smith can do that too.

Sorry, I don't know any 'smiths in FL...

fwiw,

lpl

Attitude and skill will get you through times of no gear, better than gear will get you through times of no attitude and no skill.

Last edited by Lee Lapin; January 29, 2010 at 08:02 PM.
Old January 29, 2010, 09:32 PM   #4
Dfariswheel

Probably the least disruptive rifle sights are the Wilson.
The front sight fits down over the stock bead sight and is epoxied in place.
For extra holding a cross pin can be installed through both sights.

All receiver sights have to be drilled and tapped.
You want to be careful about who you let do this. One of the most basic gunsmithing jobs is drilling and tapping holes for sights and mounts, and you'd think anyone who's in business as a gunsmith could do this easily, but apparently not.
I've been hearing about people getting shotguns back with the holes drilled off-center, extra holes drilled because they got the first ones wrong, and sights sitting off center.

Most factory barrel sights are brazed on, and the red heat required to melt the braze ruins the barrel finish, so it would need to be re-finished.

One good source of ghost ring sights is Wilson Combat.
They'll mount their excellent ghost ring sight set at a decent price.

http://www.wilsoncombat.com/
Old January 29, 2010, 09:33 PM   #5
AlKillya

I'm looking to do the same thing on my 870.

Best bet off the top of my head, is to go to a gun store in your area or even just ask wherever you got the gun from if they can refer you to a gun smith. Take it from there, and naturally, be smart, call around check prices, google prices, etc.
Old January 30, 2010, 09:38 AM   #6
Morgoroth

I am not that familiar with the 870 but wouldn't you probably have a slug barrel if you where going to put a ghost ring on?

And if you have a bird barrel wouldn't it have a rib?
Would a ghost ring be bad for birds?
Old January 30, 2010, 11:55 AM   #7
oneounceload

Quote:
Would a ghost ring be bad for birds?
Absolutely. Shooting birds, whether clay or feathered, requires you pointing a shotgun at the target and using your eyes as the rear "sights"
Old January 30, 2010, 01:49 PM   #8
Scattergun Bob

ChileVerde1

After several decades of tweaking scatterguns and a file cabinet drawer full of things that DID NOT work, my first question I ask myself when considering adding things to perfectly good scatterguns is WHY! What will this do for me and my shooting ability.

If you are considering adding something to your factory perfect scattergun, to make it do something that it can't do now, THEN stop and consider it carefully before proceeding.

I have spent a bit of time here on this forum discussing the limits of scatterguns, and trying to interject what little wisdom is still left in me. The first thing that is on my list is that SCATTERGUNS are not RIFLES. With all of tricks out there and all of the effort and expense, scatterguns are mediocre rifles. Like the "brown Bess" smooth bore guns are 50yd weapons and sometimes that is a gift.

If you are thinking about installing Ghost Ring Sights to extend the range of your scattergun with slugs, OK.
Here are some things you are giving up;
1st - The quick pointing ability of scatterguns at close range combat. (the very thing that makes the gun so valuable.)

2nd - The destruction of the gun's qualities of leading and sweeping. (what you do when shooting moving targets.) For the average shooter the ghost ring will lock your focus in place, that's one of this sights advantages.

Everything is a trade off, if this is a fair trade for your needs then OK.

IF however you are considering mounting this type of sight to make your scattergun POINT better. Then reconsider this project. Trust me when I tell you that the QUICKEST mounting and pointing of this gun is a bead sight just like you have. Anyone that attempts to tell you differently is either TOO TACTICAL-COOL or is a VERY exceptional shooter.

If you just have to have one, the I tend to agree with Lee, I really like MMC GRS sights, another brand that Has been very effective is TRACK-LOCK offered by Wilson Combat.

By the way Dfariswheel MMC has been in the business of mounting scattergun sights LONG before Wilson Combat bought out Scattergun Technologies, a company I did some work for.

From what you described you own a 870 express, if I were in your shoes I would buy a rifle sighted barrel remove the rear sight and then do the math to correctly mount the ghost ring on the receiver. That finish is very difficult to repair or match well.

Good Luck & Be Safe

Last edited by Scattergun Bob; January 30, 2010 at 02:24 PM.