The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 16, 2009, 08:13 AM   #1
Magnum Wheel Man

whooo hooo... 577 dies came in yesterday

577 Snider that is... dies were back ordered from Midway for several weeks now, & they finally came in... now that I can see what the cases size to, ( I got a handfull of new cases when I started looking at this project ) I can better select a bullet & or get my barrels ordered for my double rifle project...

these are Lee large series dies... to bad they don't come in a plastic box, but they are too big... I imagine 50 Browning are large series... anyone else used Lee Large series dies ??? comments ??? I noticed they said they only fit Lee presses, but my local builder/ mentor / friend said I should be able to unscrew the bushing out of my Rock Chucker & they should fit right in... haven't tried it yet.. but we'll see...

Last edited by Magnum Wheel Man; June 16, 2009 at 09:28 AM.
Old June 16, 2009, 09:23 AM   #2
Mike Irwin
Staff

What's a set of .577 Snider dies cost these days?

I know they're expensive...

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old June 16, 2009, 09:27 AM   #3
Magnum Wheel Man

Lee from Midway... about $75.00 plus shipping... I thought pretty cheap myself ???
Old June 16, 2009, 09:35 AM   #4
Doodlebugger45

LOL

I hadn't heard about this particular project before, but I love it.

You have several cool projects that I love to hear about. Good luck.
Old December 16, 2009, 07:52 PM   #5
Arquebus

An old thread I know, but thought I'd add my observations & comment. I recently purchased a set of the large series Lee reloading dies in .577/.450 for my Martini-Henry. Quite nicely finished & very well priced, I bought mine from Graf & Sons, but the price is comparable to the Midway price shown above. They will fit other reloading presses, too, as long as they have the removeable bushing like on my RCBS Rockchucker. So far I've used them to form some .577/.450 cases from brass 24g shotshells & to reload my first batch of M-H ammo, all without any problems.
I haven't been one of Lee Precisions biggest fans in the past, but these dies are good value, especially when compared to what the other brand's dies cost. I like these so much I've also ordered a set in .577 Snider in anticipation of the arrival of the Snider rifle I ordered last week.

The Memoirs of Barry Lyndon, Esq. (William Thackeray).