The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old October 5, 2010, 03:17 AM   #51
MLeake

"Sheeple" and other terms and assumptions...

... are not doing us pro-2A folk any favors, guys. Do you think that only pro-gun people read forums like this one?

For that matter, do you want to assume that all pro-gun people think the way you do?

Arguments based on stereotypes start off almost immediately losing ground in any debate, because: a) it's easy to accuse the person making the argument of stereotyping, rather than using considered thought; and b) dozens of arguments against that stereotype (whatever it may be) are almost guaranteed to exist, and easily be found at the first click on google.

Stereotypes may often be based in fact, but they can still be very dangerous; at the least they are often misleading.

I'm a pro-2A, retired Navy officer. For two decades, I was a registered Republican. I'm an NRA life member. My parents are fairly conservative. My mother's side of the family is Sicilian; my mom is 2nd generation American.

Knowing that, you'd probably make assumptions about my values and beliefs. Some of those assumptions would probably be spot on, but many would probably surprise you.

For instance, and without going into the reasons why I believe what I do:

I'm in favor of legalizing and regulating drugs.

I'm anti-death penalty.

Gay folk don't bother me, and I think Don't Ask Don't Tell and Defense of Marriage are both pointless, wasteful, and dehumanizing laws.

I think welfare reform should include steps to wean recipients off, while helping them find jobs; I don't think benefits should immediately be stripped.

I'm not a huge fan of the Patriot Act, although I do think portions of it are useful and necessary.

I can't stand Rush Limbaugh.

Note: because of trends over the last several election cycles for both parties to cater to the bases (and the basest, in many cases), I am now a registered independent.

Now, my intention here isn't to go all political, or to take the argument outside the intended limits of the thread or forum. My intention is to point out that assumptions can be dangerous; that name-calling is counter-productive; and that for some people, you have to sell your logic much more than you have to sell your passion.

Any idiot can stand in front of a camera and spout off, passionately, about any idiotic thing.

Being louder doesn't make you any more correct. (I don't mean PC, I mean logically and/or morally right.)

I can tell you this: as soon as somebody uses terms like "sheeple," I tend to start tuning them right out.

Regards,

M
Old October 5, 2010, 10:18 AM   #52
brickeyee

Quote:
There is no reason to deride people that aren't as tuned into their surroundings or chose to defend themselves with a firearm.
'Sheeple' does not make any call about HOW someone chooses to protect & defend themselves, just they they have chosen to be unaware of their surroundings and wiling to blindly follow.

I gave up a long time ago on trying to persuade anyone.

I have better things to do with my time.

Quote:
Arguments based on stereotypes
Of course a comment based on observation and the reality of how many folks go about their lives is not a stereotype until it is applied to a particular person without evidence.

If they do not fit the class they are not members.
Old October 6, 2010, 07:35 AM   #53
Don P

Quote:
It may just be me, but I find the term "sheeple" to be kinda dehumanizing.
Perhaps general population would suit the reply better? Sheeple seemed to fit well.

Quote:
...or cops, or just observant fellow citizens who are on the lookout for criminals or terrorists or other bogeymen.
Good points.
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old October 14, 2010, 02:15 PM   #54
The Great Mahoo

No problems here in PA. I carry concealed, but usually don't fuss over it. If my CCW is spotted, I would just smile and wave. Open Carry is legal here, and no clause against printing or the like here in Penn's Woods.

Of course, I just try to ensure it doesn't happen in the first place, but don't get too caught up in it.
Old October 23, 2010, 02:34 AM   #55
sigxder

too many variables to predict. It's different from state to state. Here if you have a ccw and you gun shows by accident you might get someone calling the police. Had it happen to me. Two Metro officers showed up. Asked me to step outside. Asked for my permit. Saw it, no problem. I was not breaking any law. Some of the stricter states I've heard they can charge you with brandishing a weapon. Best check your states laws. Be safe.

Tags
ccw , handgun , leosa , revolver , semi auto