The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old September 3, 2005, 07:03 PM   #1
Mr. Saturn

Confused about WI laws

Hi, as you can tell, I'm a new member here, but I have been lurking around the rifle and pistol forums for quite a while.

I have recently been doing some research on whether or not Wisconsin allows private individuals to possess NFA weapons. I looked on several sites including mp5.net, NRA.com, and a site that has the actual Wisconsin laws available to view. I've organized my findings by site, so it's a bit easier to read them.

1. MP5.net appears to state that it is legal to possess NFA weapons, but a permit is required for pistol caliber machineguns. What kind of permit are they talking about? Is it any different from the paperwork you have to do with the ATF?

2. From what I understand, NRA.com says that machineguns are illegal in WI, period.

3. Another site that deals specifically with NFA firearms who's name I can't remember said that machineguns are legal in WI.

4. The site with the actual laws, (besides giving me a headache and making it painfully obvious that I would never make it as a lawyer), appeared to say that nobody but the police or government agencies could possess NFA firearms unless they are not functional as weapons.

I'm really confused. These sites all seem to be saying different things and I'm not sure what to believe. Google hasn't really been much help beyond this, and I tried a forum search here which didn't yield the information I am seeking. I would really appreciate any help you can offer me. Thank you in advance.
Old September 3, 2005, 07:07 PM   #2
molonlabe

I don't know the details but I had several friends that owned M16's and Thomson SMG's therfore I woukd suppose it's legal. Their paperwork was on file with the club I belonged to and every 4th of July they would bring them out.
Try this site specifically 941.25,.26
http://folio.legis.state.wi.us/cgi-b...rowse_Frame_Pg

I Don't want you in here period...Patricia Konie NOLA 2005

Last edited by molonlabe; September 3, 2005 at 10:29 PM.
Old September 3, 2005, 11:44 PM   #3
Mr. Saturn

That's the site that I was looking at when I was referring to reading the actual laws. By the looks of that particular piece of information, NFA weapons are illegal in WI.

Thanks for your help though, I'll have to keep looking around.
Old September 4, 2005, 11:04 AM   #4
ottosear

Mr. SAT, a C.L.E.O. sign off is your biggest hurdle!!

I used to live in MILWAUKEE CO. but have moved! In 1990 a new years eve bar fight changed the sherriffs dept. class 3 stance. SO no more sign offs ???
(They used non N.F.A. firearms in the bar fight) Well Mr. SAT that is the biggest problem besides the cost in WISCONSIN! Good luck! OTTO :barf: :barf: :barf: SO, YES YOU Mr. SAT, can own a class 3 firearm in AMERICAS DAIRYLAND!!! I have 5 myself! THE best advice - talk to a class 3 dealer in your area. try RECON ORD. or LAUER or GARYS GUNS all in WIS. And good luck with C.L.E.O. (chief law enforcement officer) endorcement.
Old September 5, 2005, 11:54 PM   #5
Mr. Saturn

Thanks for the help. Contacting a class 3 dealer was going to be my next step. I don't have the money around yet, but I think it may be feasible next summer.